old style brake hoods needed

Old August 11th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Default old style brake hoods needed

I have a not-that-old bike with
Shimano Deore cantiliver brakes
and NON-CONCEALED cables.

Sadly, the hoods have now perished.

Does anyone know a source of
cable-through-the-top brake hoods?

I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

but it seems to be out of stock or discontinued.

BugBear
Old August 11th 08, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

bugbear wrote:
I have a not-that-old bike with
Shimano Deore cantiliver brakes
and NON-CONCEALED cables.

Sadly, the hoods have now perished.

Does anyone know a source of
cable-through-the-top brake hoods?

I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

If ever in East Anglia, try Mick Madgett in Diss. He had a few when I last
enquired, though not the right shape for my old levers.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old August 11th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
If ever in East Anglia, try Mick Madgett in Diss. He had a few when I last
enquired, though not the right shape for my old levers.

I live in Diss! He has something, but it's
not ideal and it's not cheap.

BugBear
Old August 11th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

bugbear wrote:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
If ever in East Anglia, try Mick Madgett in Diss. He had a few when
I last enquired, though not the right shape for my old levers.

I live in Diss! He has something, but it's
not ideal and it's not cheap.

You didn't mention "cheap" :-) I wouldn't spend lots on a "not ideal"
solution.

I reached the conclusion that new brake levers were going to be simpler in
the long term. So I'm carrying on with the old hoods until they
disintegrate, and then will fit something else. It will probably be part of
the grand 8-speed upgrade when a new cassette rear wheel goes on the bike,
along with Ergo shifters, etc..

If running an old Myrricle mirror, the mountain bike variant can be fitted
to the end of a drop-bar (assuming not used for bar-end shifters!).
Not as good a place as the original, but acceptable. My home workshop
could probably fit the mirror to an aero only lever in its original place,
but I don't think I'd want to risk an integrated brake/gear lever.

- Nigel

Old August 11th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

bugbear wrote:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
If ever in East Anglia, try Mick Madgett in Diss. He had a few when
I last enquired, though not the right shape for my old levers.

I live in Diss! He has something, but it's
not ideal and it's not cheap.

Alternative is the cycle jumble and trade stalls at Mildenhall cycle show
over August bank holiday.

I picked up some new-old-stock circa 1990 Suntour bits the other year to
keep my gear train running a bit longer.

- Nigel

Old August 12th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Murphy

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:21:01 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

I have a not-that-old bike with
Shimano Deore cantiliver brakes
and NON-CONCEALED cables.

Sadly, the hoods have now perished.

Does anyone know a source of
cable-through-the-top brake hoods?

I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

but it seems to be out of stock or discontinued.

BugBear

I had the same problem and used short lengths of grab-on bar foam,
works very well.
- Mike

Old August 12th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Mike Murphy wrote:
I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

but it seems to be out of stock or discontinued.

BugBear

I had the same problem and used short lengths of grab-on bar foam,
works very well.

Artistically or creatively cut 'n' carved, I take it?

BugBear
Old August 12th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

bugbear wrote:

I have a not-that-old bike with
Shimano Deore cantiliver brakes
and NON-CONCEALED cables.

Sadly, the hoods have now perished.

Does anyone know a source of
cable-through-the-top brake hoods?

I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

but it seems to be out of stock or discontinued.

I'm seriously considering having a go at moulding some using silicone
sealant and a plaster cast of my one remaining good Weinmann hood - they
seem to be rather difficult to find these days, and silly prices.

Old August 15th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Murphy

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:08:34 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

Mike Murphy wrote:
I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/pr...hoodrust_l.jpg

but it seems to be out of stock or discontinued.

BugBear

I had the same problem and used short lengths of grab-on bar foam,
works very well.

Artistically or creatively cut 'n' carved, I take it?

BugBear

I just cut a short length that fitted onto the brake lever without
impairing the travel of the lever; It works very well, better than the
original thin rubber hoods IMO, looks quite neat too.
- Mike

Old Style Campag Ergo levers hoods/rubbers - where to get them ? [email protected] UK 1 June 25th 06 09:30 AM
wtb: pr. Brake levers w/ WHITE hoods aero style jeremyb Marketplace 2 January 23rd 05 03:52 PM
Restoring gum brake hoods Jee Chung Techniques 3 December 21st 04 09:08 PM
Brake lever hoods for Campy Super Record brake levers still available? Boyd Speerschneider Techniques 6 October 9th 03 03:29 PM
WTB Dura Ace BR 7400 Aero Brake Hoods and Brake Shoes Anthony Butler Marketplace 2 August 12th 03 03:36 AM