Mechanics carefully drill...

Old April 16th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

Default Mechanics carefully drill...

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

Old April 16th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:
Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Old April 16th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

On Apr 16, 4:56 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Seems like it might be a better call on a muddy Roubaix, it was very
dry this year, seems extra strange.
\
Surely someone still makes an old skool stem with a properly
integrated hole?

Old April 16th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Apr 16, 12:56 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:07 am, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Why would they do that? Sacrifice stem integrity so you can use canti
brakes? Doesn't seem like a wise trade-off to me. In Paris-Roubaix,
the only thing you need good brakes for is to avoid crashes from
people who's stems broke off on the pave!

Joseph

Where else ya gonna put the cable stop? Actually, not that big of a
deal..teeny hole, won't make the stem break. I have done it a few
times. Better idea is a brake hole mounbted cable stop like Cannondale
and Redline have/had. Bigger question is why Cantis? Don't the
standard pave tubies fit?

Old April 16th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On 15 Apr 2007 22:07:59 -0700, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

Cyclocross guys have been doing this forever and I have never heard of an actual
failure. Hell, a lot have drilled the seatpost for a similar arrangement in
back. That seems sketchy to me, but the drilled stem has never been a problem
that anyone has ever actually reported. Lots of theorizing, no actual failures.

Ron

Old April 16th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 3:53 pm, RonSonic wrote:
On 15 Apr 2007 22:07:59 -0700, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=/...

Cyclocross guys have been doing this forever and I have never heard of an actual
failure. Hell, a lot have drilled the seatpost for a similar arrangement in
back. That seems sketchy to me, but the drilled stem has never been a problem
that anyone has ever actually reported. Lots of theorizing, no actual failures.

Ron

Maybe, but if I ever got to ride in Paris-Roubaix, that wouldn't be
the day to try to disprove the theory.

Joseph

Old April 16th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

PiledHIgher wrote:
Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

The big manufacturers stopped supporting cantis when V-brakes took off,
so you have to resort to this kind of thing now. Even if the tyres
fitted into conventional dual-pivot calipers, the essential moving parts
of cantis aren't directly in the firing line of mud, and presumably
cause less trouble. They must have some advantages, since I doubt the
teams are sponsored to use such old-skool equipment.
Old April 16th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article 4623a991.0@entanet,
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

PiledHIgher wrote:
Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem,
particularly not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../index.php?id=
/photos/ 2007/apr07/roubaix07/gbRoubaixRaceStart31

The big manufacturers stopped supporting cantis when V-brakes took
off, so you have to resort to this kind of thing now. Even if the
tyres fitted into conventional dual-pivot calipers, the essential
moving parts of cantis aren't directly in the firing line of mud, and
presumably cause less trouble. They must have some advantages, since
I doubt the teams are sponsored to use such old-skool equipment.

Maybe they just built the bikes up during the winter and this was the
setup they came up with, and it just wasn't worth changing when the
weather forecast was for dry and balmy.

And, BTW, Go Stuey!
Old April 16th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:53:03 -0400, RonSonic
wrote:

On 15 Apr 2007 22:07:59 -0700, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

Cyclocross guys have been doing this forever and I have never heard of an actual
failure. Hell, a lot have drilled the seatpost for a similar arrangement in
back.

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing on a seatpost. Why is it
done?

--
JT
****************************
Old April 16th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

wrote:

On 15 Apr 2007 22:07:59 -0700, "PiledHIgher" wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of a hole through my stem, particularly
not for Paris-Roubaix!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...aixRaceStart31

Cyclocross guys have been doing this forever and I have never heard of an actual
failure. Hell, a lot have drilled the seatpost for a similar arrangement in
back.

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing on a seatpost. Why is it
done?

To provide a cable stop for the rear cantilever brake

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Fun with bikes: Mechanics [email protected] Australia 7 May 11th 06 10:10 AM
Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic? Yonatan Mazuz Techniques 9 January 9th 06 01:12 AM
Mechanics Training??? TrailRat UK 5 November 28th 05 10:53 AM
For LBS Mechanics [email protected] Techniques 4 August 14th 05 07:23 PM
Drill holes in bike frame? Pat General 11 September 28th 04 01:36 PM