Most of the Friction In A Bicycle Chain

Old September 9th 03, 03:20 PM
BretCahill

Default Most of the Friction In A Bicycle Chain

Someone on sci.engr.mech said a chain sprocket system was over 95% efficient at
transmitting power -- better than a belt drive.

I'm guessing most of the friction is between the pins and the links as they
wrap around the sprocket. The friction would increase directly with rpm and
with tension in the chain -- in other words, the % friction would remain
constant over all power ranges.

5% might not sound like much but . . .

Bret Cahill

Old September 10th 03, 03:02 AM
Bill Davidson

Dan Musicant wrote:
A lot of that friction is not between the pins and links but between the
links and the cogs.

Actually, the links shouldn't be slipping over the cogs so there should
be either almost no friction or 100% friction depending upon how you
look at it. Either way, the connection between the chain and the cog
isn't what's eating your energy.

There's friction in the links. There's also friction in the pulleys,
hubs, bottom bracket and pedals. There's also rolling resistance and
air resistance eating away at efficiency.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old September 10th 03, 05:26 AM

Joe Riel writes:

What is usually overlooked is that the sprocket size has more to do
with losses than is suspected, since the articulation angle of the
chain decreases as the number of teeth increases. That is, the
angle through which the chain bends under load is 360/t (t = number
of sprocket teeth). Therefore a chain running on a 13t sprocket
has twice the frictional loss of running over one with 26t (for the
same tension). Note that tension is not power but that power is
tension times the speed of chain (in whatever units you prefer).

The power transfer through a chain is

P = T*v = T*R*w

where

P = power
T = chain tension
R = sprocket radius
v = chain velocity
w = sprocket angular velocity

For a given operating point, P and w are fixed, so

T*R = P/w = constant

As R goes up, T goes down proportionally. So, to first order, the
frictional loss in the chain is independent of the sprocket size.

Thanks. I think you might have written that before some time and I
forgot it. It rings familiar. In any case, it makes me feel better
about using my 13t sprocket while cruising down the road. Not that it
makes any performance difference, but it isn't wasting power.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 10th 03, 02:51 PM
Peter Cole

"Joe Riel" wrote in message
writes:

[...]

I don't see the connection to frictional losses.

I would think the loss due to articulation friction would be:

a*T*v

where

a = articulation angle
T = chain tension
v = chain velocity (= articulation rate)

a, T, and v are all linear with sprocket size, a and T decreasing, with larger
sprockets, v increasing.

This model predicts linear increase in articulation loss with decreasing
sprocket size, which seems to be borne out experimentally:

http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/ho...ug99/bike.html

Old September 10th 03, 03:05 PM
Joe Riel

"Peter Cole" writes:

I don't see the connection to frictional losses.

Yes, there was some hand waving there. Incorrect, as usual.
See my follow-up post.

Joe Riel