Bikes For Fat People

Old September 13th 03, 01:47 AM

Default Bikes For Fat People

Anyone have suggestions for bikes strong enough for fat people? Strong
tires and frames?
Old September 13th 03, 05:59 AM
John Henderson

"gumbo5_99" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for bikes strong enough for fat people?
Strong tires and frames?

A quality mountain bike should be perfect. It's a bit like
water, tent and sleeping bag.

But I'd strongly recommend a good suspension seat post (to
protect bike and rider alike).

John

Old September 13th 03, 06:36 AM
Nick Payne

Co-Motion Americano. A heavy-duty touring bike with 145mm rear spacing, so
the rear wheel is dishless and for complete overkill you can fit 40 or 48
spoke tandem wheels...http://www.co-motion.com/Amerc.html.

Nick

Old September 15th 03, 10:54 AM
meb

John Henderson wrote:
But I'd strongly recommend a good suspension seat post (to protect
bike and rider alike).

John

Heavy weight suspension seatposts may be hard. Many are limited to 180
lb riders; others 225, 240. There are a few which can take more, but at
230 my selection is limited. I think I have seen some rated for 350 lb
riders, but suspension seatpost are designed for lighter riders.

Old September 15th 03, 04:01 PM

Does anyone make solid rubber tires? Is that possible?

There are a few manufacturers of solid tires and solid inner tubes.
Here are some links:

http://www.nomorflats.com (solid inner tubes)
http://www.ameritire.com/ (solid tires)
http://www.greentyre.com/english/index.html (solid tires)

I have used the No-Mor flats solid inner tubes (first link), so I can
give you some info on them if you want. I don't have any experience
with the other products.
Old September 15th 03, 10:46 PM
Rick Onanian

On 15 Sep 2003 19:44:05 +0950, meb wrote:
Heavy weight suspension seatposts may be hard. Many are limited to 180
lb riders; others 225, 240. There are a few which can take more, but at
230 my selection is limited. I think I have seen some rated for 350 lb
riders, but suspension seatpost are designed for lighter riders.

Cane Creek Thudbuster allows you to swap
elastomers for different weights, and it
allows me (210 lbs) to use blue; I think
that's medium, I know there's one or two
heavier elastomers you can use.

So, a Thudbuster is probably OK for a
heavy rider.

If you use too-soft elastomer, the
elastomer WILL shatter. Follow the
instructions...

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 16th 03, 01:43 AM
Chalo

"Nick Payne" wrote:

Co-Motion Americano. A heavy-duty touring bike with 145mm rear spacing, so
the rear wheel is dishless and for complete overkill you can fit 40 or 48
spoke tandem wheels...http://www.co-motion.com/Amerc.html.

Sure the bike can take the rider, but can the rider take the bike?
Not if the ******* is fitted with drop bars. (And below the seat,
too-- what the hell?) Anything that can't take 2"+ tires is
misguided, too.

This is like a skinny person dispensing clothing advice to a fat
person based on what the skinny person finds comfortable. If a skinny
rider can imagine spending a few hours doing a handstand on the bars,
then he or she can relate to how it feels for a big and/or fat rider
to be supporting that kind of weight on the hands.

A bike like the Americano, but fitted with BMX bars, a broad
supportive seat, and 700x60 slicks would be more appropriate. When or
if the rider sheds some pounds and builds a mileage base, then more
conventional equipment can be adapted to the purpose as desired.
Start a fat rider on a runty rider's equipment though, and he will
quickly take up some other pastime.

Chalo Colina

Trek & Gary Fisher bikes = USA made [email protected] General 10 March 16th 04 10:55 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
Need pictures of dorky bikes Phil, Squid-in-Training Mountain Biking 56 August 3rd 03 03:26 PM