old derailleur gallery

Old September 16th 03, 03:35 AM
David L. Johnson

Default old derailleur gallery

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:55:54 +0000, John Everett wrote:

Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing
jockey wheels. I'd guess (but have no direct knowledge) that you would
also find them on old Campy kit.

No, at least my old Nuovo Record ('69) had sleeve bearings. They lasted a
long time, though.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 16th 03, 06:36 AM
A Muzi

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
. uk...
What happened to Huret? Are they still in the business at all? I
haven't seen a Huret equipped bike in years.

They became part of Sachs, then SRAM. Don't know if former-Huret plant at
Incheville exists yet.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 16th 03, 10:58 AM
James Thomson

"A Muzi" wrote:

They became part of Sachs, then SRAM. Don't know
if former-Huret plant at Incheville exists yet.

Normandie Online lists an Incheville plant for MARS Industries ["Metalical
Accessories Remote Systems"], and gives sram.com as its corporate website.
The director general (and mayor of Incheville) is a certain Monsieur
Phillipe Maillard.

http://www.normandieonline.com/structure/
?lg=fr&structure=SSR7752&do=detail

http://www.ifrance.com/marsindustries/

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/dossiers/Communes/76/I76/
INCHEVILLE/INCHEVILLE.html

James Thomson

Old September 16th 03, 04:10 PM
John Everett

On 15 Sep 2003 15:28:38 -0700, (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

John Everett writes:

On 14 Sep 2003 23:42:42 -0700,
(Alan Walker)
wrote:

"ari" wrote in message ...
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

Brings back memories.

I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt
that a lighter derailleur has ever been made - and it has ball
bearings in the jockey wheels!

Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball
bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess (but have no direct knowledge) that
you would also find them on old Campy kit.

negative. Most prestiges simply had the standard non ball-bearing
wheels (e.g. metal inner ring, 2 outer washers with gnurled lips,
which served as guides form the plastic wheel that rotates without
bearings against these 3 metals pieces.

See: http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3...derailleur.gif for a
picture of a Simplex Prestige that had ball bearing jockey wheels last
time I rebuilt it.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old September 16th 03, 06:12 PM
JP

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message ...
jim beam wrote:
wow, memory lane...

anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram
derailleur - like they all are now?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

Does anyone know anything about the Peugeot/Simplex derailleur that
Peugeot was putting on their production racing bikes 20+ years ago?
Funny thing is that it looks to me like a slant parallelogram design-
nothing like the Simplex pictures. This doesn't seem to fit with the
legend of the Suntour patent, unless maybe they had licensed Simplex.

I've still got the derailleur. I replaced it with a Suntour to get
better shifting.

JP
Old September 17th 03, 05:16 AM
A Muzi

"John Everett" wrote in message
Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball
bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess (but have no direct knowledge) that
you would also find them on old Campy kit.

[is the attribution right? I can't tell]
Almost. Simplex Prestige (AR637P) have a simple steel sleeve. The
Criterium (AR637L) is the one with the cute little ball-bearing pulleys,
sort of like my own Huret Svelto pulleys except with teeth. Those and
Suntour use fat 6mm roller bolts, not the skinny Campagnolo/Shimano 5mm
format. Speaking of cute - how 'bout the Campagnolo #97 mini-wrench to
adjust the pulley bearing?

Old September 17th 03, 11:15 AM
JP

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:12:41 +0000, JP wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the Peugeot/Simplex derailleur that
Peugeot was putting on their production racing bikes 20+ years ago?

I just recall a standard Simplex derailleur, usually a prestige.

No, it's different- I'm familiar with the old standard Simplex
derailleurs. I still have the bike and the derailleur and was looking
at it a couple of days ago trying to decide whether to put it on my
Vitus (probably not). It looks more like a short cage Suntour, but it
is clearly marked Simplex on the back, Peugeot on the front.

JP

Old September 17th 03, 03:37 PM
TW406

No, at least my old Nuovo Record ('69) had sleeve bearings. They lasted a
long time, though.

The steel Gran Sports and Records had ball bearings in the steel wheels.