Dortmund and Grenoble Six Days

Old October 29th 03, 08:53 AM
Davey Crockett

Default Dortmund and Grenoble Six Days

These two venerated events get under way tomorrow night.

But why, with such a meagre Six-Day calendar these days,
two such prestigious events as Grenoble and Dortmund
always run concurrently now, is sort of incomprehensible.

I have links to where you can find more information on
my site and will report the results as they become available.

--
le Vent a Dos
Davey Crockett
Old October 29th 03, 05:46 PM
Kyle Legate

Davey Crockett wrote:
These two venerated events get under way tomorrow night.

But why, with such a meagre Six-Day calendar these days,
two such prestigious events as Grenoble and Dortmund
always run concurrently now, is sort of incomprehensible.

I read the first sentence and then thought exactly what you followed up
with. Splitting the competition like that can't be good for either event.
The six day talent pool isn't deep enough to satisfy concurrent six days.

Old October 29th 03, 07:26 PM
Davey Crockett

"Kyle Legate" writes:

Davey Crockett wrote:
These two venerated events get under way tomorrow night.

But why, with such a meagre Six-Day calendar these days,
two such prestigious events as Grenoble and Dortmund
always run concurrently now, is sort of incomprehensible.

I read the first sentence and then thought exactly what you followed up
with. Splitting the competition like that can't be good for either event.
The six day talent pool isn't deep enough to satisfy concurrent six days.

Well there is one redeeming feature.

Historically the Sprinters have gone to Grenoble whilst the
Stayers headed to Dortmund.

The same remains true this year.

There are 12 pairs slated to start Grenoble.

Villa will be there riding Number 1, partnered by Quaranta again.
They put on a dismal show in Amsterdam last week and I never did
discover the reason. But hopefully they will fare better in
Grenoble.

The Belgian flag will be carried by Wouter Van Mechelen-Steven Deneef.

But the French entrants really surprize. There are a dozen totally
unknowns and this whould make the race interesting to say the least.

Dortmund will have 14 Pairs on the start line.

England's Wiggins and Hayles will be there, as will Belgium's
Gilmore partnered by America's Nothstein. Most of the better
known riders are on the start-list too.

But in addition to the Six-Day, the International Stayers Championship
takes place there. Stayer in this context meaning Derny-paced racer
rather than the workhorse in a normal Six-Day or Madison event.

And the big qestion is, ''Can the German rider, Podlesch get a seventh
victory?''

He already has six with wins in 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001 and 2002.
And to cap that off, his father won in 1983.

There are more details of the prospective starters on my site for
those who care to look.