(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

Old September 9th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default (Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

I've just completed a ride in the mountains of North Carolina. I used
my crossbike .. with 46/38 on the front and
while it was sufficient for the long drags up the Blueridge Parkway I
was considerably under-geared when it came
to the very steep slopes in the surrounding countryside (22%).

So, I'd like to change my chainrings out for something like 46/30. I'd
be putting these on a regular road frame
built up with old 8sp components. I'd considered a triple - but I have
perfectly nice 8sp STI shifters and don't want
to have to mess with them. But I guess I could convert a triple to a
double and get my ratios that way ?

Otherwise, I'm looking for equipement suggestions ... looks like I
could build a TA Carmina chainset up - but its
very expensive ... FSA make a compact MTB 44/29 chainset ... but it
costs ~$700 ... I was hoping for something
more affordable. I did find a Stronglight Oxale in 44/29 - but it
appears to be very lightweight (and I am not) and I read about a fella
breaking cranks arms (2) ... which is what would prolly happen to me -
with my luck.
Old September 9th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
[...]

cranks usually break from fatigue, not over-stress. regular inspection
will usually detect cracking before breakage, and thus remove the
element of surprise. you could therefore try this crank if you take the
right precautions.
Old September 9th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 9, 8:26*am, wrote:
[...]

You need an older 5 arm mountain bike crankset that uses 94mm bolt
circle diameter and square taper bottom bracket. Then just use the
two outer positions. I have a Race Face Turbine LP crankset. It uses
94mm bcd for the outer two postions and 58mm for the inner position.
I only use the outer positions. I switch between 48-40 rings or 46-30
rings. All sizes of rings from 50 to 30 are available from TA for
94mm bcd. I've even seen a 29 Tune from Posh Bikes in England. It
uses a square taper bottom bracket so I can easily buy a shorter
bottom bracket to get the triple crankset into a position appropriate
for a double crankset. The ISIS, Octalink cranksets likely will not
have short enough bottom brackets available to get the crank in very
close. The new two piece cranksets will not work either due to the
built in long bottom bracket pipe.
Old September 9th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

wrote:
I've just completed a ride in the mountains of North Carolina. I used
my crossbike .. with 46/38 on the front and
while it was sufficient for the long drags up the Blueridge Parkway I
was considerably under-geared when it came
to the very steep slopes in the surrounding countryside (22%).

Well, I'd guess so. But it does depend upon your cassette. Was this a
loaded tour, a day ride, or a supported tour?

So, I'd like to change my chainrings out for something like 46/30. I'd
be putting these on a regular road frame
built up with old 8sp components. I'd considered a triple - but I have
perfectly nice 8sp STI shifters and don't want
to have to mess with them. But I guess I could convert a triple to a
double and get my ratios that way ?

You can do a 46/30 double. I used to have one. Use a mountain-bike
crank; at least the old compact 5-bolt 94/58mm ones would take the 30 in
the middle position, and a 46 on the outer. I just left the 22-tooth
granny off except during a loaded tour.

But these chainrings are getting hard to find now.

OTOH, most STI left shifters do triples. Loosen the limit screws and
see whether yours does. If it does, a triple might be what you want.

Otherwise, I'm looking for equipement suggestions ... looks like I
could build a TA Carmina chainset up - but its
very expensive ... FSA make a compact MTB 44/29 chainset ... but it
costs ~$700 ... I was hoping for something
more affordable.

Oh, geez. I got a 94/58 Sugino for $50-$75, and chainrings for $5 per
at swap meets or sales at mail-order houses. But the days of those
cranks are numbered, and the chainrings will disappear.

I did find a Stronglight Oxale in 44/29 - but it
appears to be very lightweight (and I am not) and I read about a fella
breaking cranks arms (2) ... which is what would prolly happen to me -
with my luck.

Breaking the arms is usually a fatigue thing, not a brute force thing.
It can happen to anyone with enough miles on a part that is poorly
designed, not just to heavy guys with light bikes.

--

David L. Johnson

It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can only be
cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and Colnagos are a lot
cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris.
-- Glenn Davies
Old September 9th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 9, 11:01*am, "David L. Johnson"

Well, I'd guess so. *But it does depend upon your cassette. *Was this a
loaded tour, a day ride, or a supported tour?

The cassette was 11-32 (...26/32). I checked on GeRZ (http://
home.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/howto1.html)
38x32 = 31.1 ... but moving to a compact would give me that at
34x29 ... or with a 30 at 30x25 ... so
I'd have even more grannies to go to.

We rode consecutive days along the parkway ... but it was a credit
card ride, not loaded. My main
problem is that I'm heavy and a flat lander ... I realize I need to
lose weight and learn to climb, but
at present its very discouraging.

OTOH, most STI left shifters do triples. *Loosen the limit screws and
see whether yours does. *If it does, a triple might be what you want.

This might be the way to go ... I'll look into it.

Otherwise, I'm looking for equipement suggestions ... looks like I

Oh, geez. *I got a 94/58 Sugino for $50-$75, and chainrings for $5 per
at swap meets or sales at mail-order houses. *But the days of those
cranks are numbered, and the chainrings will disappear.

Yeah, I don't really want to have to spend a bunch of dough ...

Breaking the arms is usually a fatigue thing, not a brute force thing.
It can happen to anyone with enough miles on a part that is poorly
designed, not just to heavy guys with light bikes.

Either way though ... its not a ringing endorsement of the part. I
guess
the fella could have just been unlucky ... but ...

-David
Old September 9th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

wrote:

You need an older 5 arm mountain bike crankset that uses 94mm bolt
circle diameter and square taper bottom bracket. Then just use the
two outer positions. I have a Race Face Turbine LP crankset. It uses
94mm bcd for the outer two postions and 58mm for the inner position.
I only use the outer positions. I switch between 48-40 rings or 46-30
rings. All sizes of rings from 50 to 30 are available from TA for
94mm bcd. I've even seen a 29 Tune from Posh Bikes in England. It
uses a square taper bottom bracket so I can easily buy a shorter
bottom bracket to get the triple crankset into a position appropriate
for a double crankset. The ISIS, Octalink cranksets likely will not
have short enough bottom brackets available to get the crank in very
close. The new two piece cranksets will not work either due to the
built in long bottom bracket pipe.

All this is true, but IMPO the TA chainrings are way too expensive.
Heck, they all are.

QBP (through Harris Cyclery) shows a Surly stainless ring in 30 (good
idea for smaller rings, since they wear faster than larger ones) $41.
The biggest one they carry is 44, at about the same price.

I see a 29-tooth ring for only $310. But hey, you get free shipping.
What are these guys smoking?

The TA Carima looks very nice, and they promise the availability of
rings. At a price. $250 for the cranks, $90 for your choice of spider,
and $46-$85 per ring, depending on size.

If you decide on this option, e-mail me and I will rummage around in my
parts box. I do have a stock of 94mm rings, which I only use on my
commuters, so would be willing to part with some of the rings. Cheap.
But for my road bike I find that modern compact cranks work well if you
choose your cassette carefully, except for loaded touring, when a triple
would be required no matter what.

Old September 9th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 9, 10:35*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 9, 8:26*am, wrote:

[...]

built in long bottom bracket pipe.- Hide quoted text -

I build up a road bike for my son using this method. I used a Shimano
square taper BB and took off the inner ring of a mountain bike
triple. The front is now 44/34 and you can get up to a 34 for the
rear which should get up anything the Blue Ridge has to offer.
Old September 9th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron

On Sep 9, 9:26*am, wrote:
[...]

Try a 28-11 cogset. Just a suggestion. Wide range of gearing there.

Old September 9th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

You should definitely give a triple consideration. The Campy or
Sugino square taper cranks are very reasonably priced, so even if you
had to spend more money for the shifter (and I would guess it is
unnecessary) you would still come out ahead. You get the low ring you
want. The big rings will allow you to use a stronger cog in back (or
have some really fun decending gears;-) It's all very standard and
you won't have trouble aligning the chainline The jumps won't be as
harsh as a compact, and it's not that much more weight. Plus it
looks good.

JG
Old September 9th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 9, 10:20*am, "David L. Johnson"
[...]

Bought my TA rings (48, 40, and 30) from a mailorder house in
England. Much less than $41 for the 30 tooth 94mm ring. Even with
shipping included. Back before the dollar dropped. The US places
that sell TA charge plenty for shipping too. I've picked up a handful
of extra 94mm rings from various mailorder places here in the US on
closeout pricing.