(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

Old September 10th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default (Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

In article
,
wrote:

I've just completed a ride in the mountains of North Carolina. I used
my crossbike .. with 46/38 on the front and while it was sufficient
for the long drags up the Blueridge Parkway I was considerably
under-geared when it came to the very steep slopes in the surrounding
countryside (22%).

I assume you mean "over-geared" unless you were talking about trying to
pedal down a 22% grade- and why bother?

Anyway, I use a 46 x 34 crank (110 mm bcd) which is a triple but with
only the two chainrings. The rear is an 11-28 8 speed cassette. I
haven't yet found a grade I couldn't get up with that combination, but
I'm not sure there are an 22% grades around here. Close to 20%, though,
and I can get up those without too much difficulty.
Old September 10th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason[_4_]

I've used this combination on a old triple crankset with 110mm and
74mm 5 bolt patterns. I put a 46 on the inside of the larger bolt
pattern, using single speed/single chainring bolts, and then put the
30t on the 74mm bolt pattern. You can get a Sugino XD triple for
decent price, use the 46t ring it will likely come with, buy a generic
30t small ring and the chainring bolts, and most like come out of the
whole deal for less than $100.
Hope that helps,
Jason

On Sep 9, 11:56*pm, "David L. Johnson"
Bought my TA rings (48, 40, and 30) from a mailorder house in
England. *Much less than $41 for the 30 tooth 94mm ring. *Even with
shipping included. *Back before the dollar dropped. *The US places
that sell TA charge plenty for shipping too. *I've picked up a handful
of extra 94mm rings from various mailorder places here in the US on
closeout pricing.

Yeah, but the problem is, the reason these places are selling these
rings at closeout pricing is that they will not be re-stocking them, and
they are going to get harder to find and more expensive.

--

David L. Johnson

Deserves death! *I daresay he does. *Many that live deserve death.
And some that die deserve life. *Can you give it to them? *Then do not
be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
* * * * * * * * -- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old September 11th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

Jason wrote:
I've used this combination on a old triple crankset with 110mm and
74mm 5 bolt patterns. I put a 46 on the inside of the larger bolt
pattern, using single speed/single chainring bolts, and then put the
30t on the 74mm bolt pattern. You can get a Sugino XD triple for
decent price, use the 46t ring it will likely come with, buy a generic
30t small ring and the chainring bolts, and most like come out of the
whole deal for less than $100.

This seems like a good idea, and it would not require an extra-short
bottom bracket. The only downside would be a wider "q-factor".

--

David L. Johnson

When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that
your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
-- LBJ