Making chain longer

Old August 20th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

Default Making chain longer

Need to add a couple of links to an inexpensive but nearly new Wipperman 800
8-speed chain. It was connected with a resusable Connex link. I use this brand
and model of chain a lot so I have lots of short pieces from previous cutting of
new ones to length. Is it generally considered safe to push a pin nearly out
and then push it back through in order to to graft on the extra links? I have
already done it, taking care that the pin finishes up protruding the same amount
on each side so I'm okay with the actual process. The bike is a Surly 1x1 that
is receiving a two chain-ring / two sprocket set up to allow a change of gear
ratios to suit the conditions. The combined total of teeth in each combo is the
same so I can get by with the same chain length for both ratios.
I Googled and most of the hits led me to other discussion fora from years gone
by. Opinion is divided, some posters saying they do the pin-push trick all the
time and others saying it's a certain route to death and destruction.
What is the experience of people on this group?
PH

Old August 20th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 8/20/2011 11:23 AM, Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

Pushing the pin partly out and reinserting is fine on 5, 6 or 7-speed
chain, *possibly* acceptable on 8-speed chain, and not recommended or
easy to do on 9, 10 or 11+-speed [1] chain. The higher speed chains
have peened ends on the pins, so the side plate holes will be enlarged
if the pin is extruded, resulting in a weak link unless a larger
diameter pin (e.g. Shimano) is inserted.

[1] Only a matter of time until 12-speed chain under "more is better for
selling" occurs.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old August 20th 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 20, 11:23*am, "Peter Howard" wrote:
[...]

I've never had a problem doing this with KMC chains, but can't vouch
for the Wipperman. Since I learned that there is a chance of failure,
I've gone ahead and used quick links. 8 speed chains are inexpensive,
why take a chance?
Old August 20th 11, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Aug 20, 6:29*pm, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

The one louder brigade has already gone too far.
Old August 20th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

Sure it's possible.
It's also possible to almost properly set a rivet which will
separate.

I'd add a second joining link or even replace the chain.

One, 5, 6, 7 speed chain rivets stick out the side of
thicker link plates and fit less tightly. Easy to remove and
re set rivets.
8, 9, 10, 11 chain rivets are tight in thinner harder
sideplates and set flush. Use a joining link.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 20th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Aug 20, 5:23*pm, "Peter Howard" wrote:
[...]

Have no experience with this chain but do remember that Wipperman
chains were gaining a reputation for unexplained failures (20 years
ago). Other brands seem to have caught up. Be careful not to push
the pin so far as to engage the end in to the far link. When
returning, be careful again not to protrude the pin further than
necessary on the far side. Mark the pin with a dot punch so as you
know this is the pin to keep an eye on and not to split at again.
Flex the chain from side to side to spread the plates into their
running position. Examine with a magnifying glass to see that the pin
protrudes equally on either side and with the other undisturbed pins.
Just be very careful and this chain should be good.
Old August 20th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

My experience is good, no problems. That's not specifically with adding
links, just with using a chain tool the normal way on 8-speed chains.
I've never had one of those chains break.

(The only chain I've accidentally broken was on a seven-speed mountain
bike, during a sudden, difficult uphill shift to the granny.)

Seems to me if you're running the bike as a one speed (i.e. not changing
sprockets under power) there's no twisting or bending taking place. I'm
pretty sure that twisting action under power is what causes the problems
that do occur.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 21st 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blue Heeler[_2_]

Peter Howard wrote:

What is the experience of people on this group? PH

Done it a lot - in fact my commuter's current chain is made up of
"left-over" links from 5 or 6 new chains.

I have the rivet peening tool for 11sp Campy chains and I'll own up to
having given the rivets I disturbed in making the composite chain the
once over with it.

Old August 21st 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

Please honor the signature separator (i.e. "-- ").

The one louder brigade has already gone too far.

8-speed for road, and 7-speed for off-road and touring are good if
price/performance and reliability are of concern.

Old August 21st 11, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

$southslope.net" *wrote:
[...]

I use a Regina BX originally sold as a six-speed 13-31 teeth, I took
off the 13 to give me 14-31 five-speed. Does all I need to save me
struggling. I've other sixes and sevens not quite so popular with
me. I'd worked out that I only really need four gears to cover the
climbs and the flats while cycling alone and that anything else would
just be refinement. The half-step system fitted (and still fits) my
needs admirably. I couldn't get hold of a suitable four or five
speed, so the cheap Regina's in six-speed serve well with the
overhanging top sprocket removed. I have a wide range SunTour which
is technically good but is not so satisfying in use as it has a
superfluous amount of choices which are not conducive to creating a
good half-step system. Seven can be too many.