Tour de France routes

Old October 24th 03, 03:36 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

Default Tour de France routes

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote in message
. be...

non-cobbled Berendries

Yeah but ASO is basically answerable to no-one, whereas De Panne is a bit
further down the food chain. On the other hand I hope they think twice
before including something as insane as the Passage du Gois again.

So, without having heard anything specific, my guess is they'll just do

the
'symbolic' cobbles section next to the Roubaix track. Anything else would

be
really surprising.

I pretty much agree - it won't be anything like as selective as
Paris-Roubaix, but a few riders will no doubt come to grief.

Damn, that is going to be something to look forward to in the first week for
a change.

It'll be good for Armstrong and Ullrich. Telekom and USPS know how to deal
with the cobbles. Actually, some of USPS's Spanish contingent probably
doesn't, but there's Hincapie and Ekimov. Telekom certainly does and Ullrich
is the type of power rider who will go over cobbles just fine. Then there's
the directors and Belgian Bruyneel especially will have his **** together (as
usual).

Those Spanish teams are another story. The riders have no clue and neither
does management. They could get ****ed and it will be great. Time to throw in
some of those sections every year and make those wussies do something less
one dimensional.

What are the odds of Tyler Hamilton and Cadel Evans breaking collarbones in
that stage?

Old October 24th 03, 10:25 PM
Nick Burns

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote in message

I pretty much agree - it won't be anything like as selective as
Paris-Roubaix, but a few riders will no doubt come to grief.

Jeff

I don't remember how long you have covered the Tour (IIRC it is around 10
years) but there was a period of time where they alternated years of
including a "hell of the north" stage. The last one I remember for sure was
in the 80s and maybe they did dump it because of the globalization (and the
idea that it hurt the Colombians and Spaniards too much).

Do you have any comments about this?

TIA

Old October 24th 03, 10:31 PM
Nick Burns

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message

[...]

All this is true, but it does increase the fortune elemant of bike racing as
well.

What are the odds of Tyler Hamilton and Cadel Evans breaking collarbones

in
that stage?

Not just them.

Old October 25th 03, 04:18 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote in message
. be...

I pretty much agree - it won't be anything like as selective as
Paris-Roubaix, but a few riders will no doubt come to grief.

Damn, that is going to be something to look forward to in the first week for
a change.

What are the odds of Tyler Hamilton and Cadel Evans breaking collarbones in
that stage?

Time for their teams to get hold of Dainese or Alpinestar to make some
breathable body armor, motorcycle road race style. Oh hell, just make 'em wear
full leathers that day...

--
tanx,
Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain
We tell jokes to make you laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..."
The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old October 25th 03, 03:26 PM
Jeff Jones

"Nick Burns" wrote in message
m...

Jeff

I don't remember how long you have covered the Tour (IIRC it is around 10
years) but there was a period of time where they alternated years of
including a "hell of the north" stage. The last one I remember for sure

was
in the 80s and maybe they did dump it because of the globalization (and

the
idea that it hurt the Colombians and Spaniards too much).

Do you have any comments about this?

I haven't covered it nearly long enough I'm afraid, although I'm sure there
are some knowledgeable people on RBR who could answer this question.

I do vaguely remember that they had stages with P-R style cobble sections in
the past, but I'm not certain that it was in alternating years. And given
that I was fairly new to cycling then, and would have been watching an ESPN
summary of the Tour, it could well have been a summary of Paris-Roubaix
anyway :-)

Sorry that's a bit useless. Benjo? Bart? Ewoud? Anyone?

Jeff

Old October 25th 03, 04:23 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:06:11 -0500, Carl Sundquist wrote:
Sorry that's a bit useless. Benjo? Bart? Ewoud? Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Sorry I can't come to the door right now.