Idiots driving around with fog lights on WHEN THERE'S NO FOG

Old December 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Larrington

Default Idiots driving around with fog lights on WHEN THERE'S NO FOG

In ,
Simon Brooke tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
in message , Dave Larrington
') wrote:

In ups.com,
'Arf tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
Aeek wrote:
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty"
wrote:

Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look
for bikes.

You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an
RPG7.

I don't think that's trolling. Back in the day when I and friends
used to commute along the A6, we'd regularly have discussions about
what sorts of weapons we'd like to strap to our bikes to deal with
dangerous motorists. We never actually did it, of course - RPGs are
hard to come by - but it was a good way of letting off steam.

I think that's what Aeek's doing, and I sympathise.

I think your attributions have slipped, Simon, coz I never wrote none of
that, honest guv.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old December 6th 06, 04:11 PM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Earl Purple

wrote:

Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
bikes.

You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.

The topic starts here
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/can...3226c2 a32d53

by the way.

Old December 6th 06, 07:24 PM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
Coach wrote:
"'Arf" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
bikes.

You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.

We have cycle and taxi/bus lanes in Newport.
These are for the sole use of boy racers with fogs
no police intervention at all

In urban areas of the US, we have the same situation, except substitute
arrogant yuppies in SUV's and luxury cars or (in the hood) gangbangers
in unlicensed vehicles. It is prudent to stay out of the way of the
latter, as they often (illegally) possess semi-automatic firearms.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Looks like I'll be heading back to Texas for a couple more years and
it's tempting to pick a concealed gun license this time. Handy for the
trails down in Big Bend and rednecks around Houston

Old December 18th 06, 07:30 AM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default Cycling Idiots clogging up the roads

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, 'Arf
') wrote:

tallbloke wrote:
"'Arf" wrote in
news:1165350962.876836.235830@ 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
their fellow road users.
They're basically a selfish cack of punts.
Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem
sharing the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
So who's being the selfish 2@ here?

When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.

Cyclists show no such consideration:

There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
the same were true of drivers.

Laddies,
Please, I drive both a small car and a huge 1966 Muscle car (when I can
afford the gas) but prefer the bike for freedom and health. I pay my
road taxes and like the bike better, except when I have to make a real
business trip or get out my beast and show up a Chevy with my Mopar.
Unless it's really, really cold *AND* raining it's the bike for me.
I really don't mind giving a bike the right of way since it is only a
matter of gas pedal or brake pedal in the car, no sweat either way,
maybe just a minor mileage hit, big deal.
Bill Baka
Old December 18th 06, 09:18 AM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Don Whybrow

Bill wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
the same were true of drivers.

Laddies,

Son,

Please, I drive both a small car and a huge 1966 Muscle car (when I can
afford the gas) but prefer the bike for freedom and health. I pay my
road taxes and like the bike better, except when I have to make a real
business trip or get out my beast and show up a Chevy with my Mopar.
Unless it's really, really cold *AND* raining it's the bike for me.
I really don't mind giving a bike the right of way since it is only a
matter of gas pedal or brake pedal in the car, no sweat either way,
maybe just a minor mileage hit, big deal.

So, you are both a cyclist and a motorist, when you are a motorist you
are considerate to cyclists. An attitude that is common amongst those
that ride bikes on the road and drive. However it does not hold true for
those that do not cycle.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"This is all very interesting, and I daresay you already see me frothing
at the mouth in a fit; but no, I am not; I am just winking happy
thoughts into a little tiddle cup." (Nabokov, Lolita)
Old December 19th 06, 02:15 AM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Don Whybrow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

[...]

All too true, I'm afraid. Plenty of idiots with horns way bigger than
their brains around here. I try to be considerate both ways because I
never know for sure what I will be piloting.
Bill Baka
Old December 21st 06, 10:17 AM posted to canb.general,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
John Hearns

'Arf wrote:

You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

I regularly drive across central London.
From Docklands to the beginning of the M4 I have yet to achieve more
than twelve miles in one hour of driving.
Yep, that's right, bikes are FASTER. Now let's have you crying out for
cars to get out of the way.