Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

Old October 31st 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

I can only say that the U.S. must be different. I've ridden in Japan,
Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and have never, repeat
NEVER, had anyone threaten me, either by word or action.

You are so senile you are uninteresting as a target of malice, and not noticing the acts which threaten you that were not premeditated.

I also rode
in New Hampshire and Southern California, but that was a long time ago
and I can't be sure but I certainly don't remember any acts that were
threatening.

Well now -there- is some hard evidence!

Yet another indication of the change in the U.S. attitude toward law
and order. As I wrote before, in years gone by if a guy got caught
speeding he'd say something like, "Damn! I got caught. Got to go pay
the fine Monday." Now you get a tirade like "Jeeze Cri! I was only
doing 15 mph over the limit, and school was already out. Why is that
cop picking on me?"

Which guy? You're making stuff up. Is this some sort of creative writing? Or are you truly claiming to share the same attitude with everyone in the past, to such extent that you can speak for all?

In years gone by, if a guy got caught speeding, he'd hand the cop his license and a $20 bill folded behind it. The cop would hand back the license, and say have a good day.

You sound to me like Stirling Moss 40 years after he hit his head at 160. He said, with much emotion:
"But times have changed so!!! When I used to go down to Monaco, you know, after the race, on the podium, there'd be a girl with flowers, and she'd put flowers round your neck, and kiss you, and... and.. and... ...and this sort of thing just doesn't seem to HAPPEN anymore!"

Old October 31st 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:52:16 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/30/2017 10:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 07:25:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

You rarely have to worry someone is actually going to run you over. After all if might get blood on their car that they'd have to wash off. But the continuous threats are tiring. When I get back from a long city ride - say my home down to Palo Alto along Hesperian then back again - some 50 miles - I will be threatened at least two dozen times with cars trying to nudge me off the road. Even with open lanes they could easily pass in. Another thing is that you will be riding along and a car will come up behind you fast, swerve around you and turn directly into a driveway that causes you to slam on the brakes. Usually a store or something.

I can only say that other parts of the U.S. must be different,

Must be, cuz you don't come across as senile and dotty like John, but share with him that your experience -sounds- like la-la land. Maybe it's not so much "parts of the US" as simply "parts". I suspect you could find the same experience that Tom describes as a bike commuter in any city.

what Tom describes almost never happens to me. Although my "other parts
of the U.S." statement needs some modification, since I've ridden all
the way across it, and ridden at least a little in 47 states so far.

Well I experience the same things that Tom describes. Less often but Tom is more in tune to them and more prone to interpreting drivers' actions as hostile, and perhaps correctly. I also hang out more in silicon valley and palo alto than Tom, and visit his neck of the woods infrequently, and when I do, I experience the things he describes constantly. As in other places.

The last irritating incident that happened to me was three weeks ago, on
a 50+ mile ride. Ohio has a new law requiring three feet passing
clearance. One car passed closer than that when there was plenty of room
to go around. But as someone said, I probably shouldn't attribute to
malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Wow. Ride in Buffalo sometime. I felt like prey on national geographic documentary.

Old October 31st 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/31/2017 12:59 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:52:16 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The last irritating incident that happened to me was three weeks ago, on
a 50+ mile ride. Ohio has a new law requiring three feet passing
clearance. One car passed closer than that when there was plenty of room
to go around. But as someone said, I probably shouldn't attribute to
malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Wow. Ride in Buffalo sometime. I felt like prey on national geographic documentary.

Well, I did pass through Buffalo once on one solo tour of mine, stopping
to eat dinner at some restaurant. Traffic was a bit unusual, I was told,
because of some concert that evening. (Billy Joel, IIRC.) But I had no
trouble riding there.

I suspect things like this vary from time to time, and maybe from person
to person. Two examples:

A few years after our coast-to-coast ride, I attended a slide show by a
somewhat local cyclist, talking about his coast-to-coast ride. Unlike
us, he had family members driving a support van. Anyway, he got
terrified by Iowa. He said the drivers were so hostile he had his
support van pick him up and he re-routed to avoid Iowa.

We, on the other hand, loved Iowa. While some of the roads could have
been better regarding pavement or shoulders, the motorists and other
people treated us wonderfully. At the time, I suspected it was because
RAGBRAI brings lots of cyclists and thus money to the little towns along
its route. I don't know why the other guy had trouble.

Second example: One of my good riding friends lives in a different town
about 20 miles away. He complains of unpleasant encounters that I never
seem to have. His incidents actually included a couple of fist fights
with motorists that he says attacked him. Our riding is not very
different at all - we've done overnight tours and dozens of recreational
rides together - although I do tend to ride a bit more leftward than he
does.

I can't explain the difference. He looks more muscular than me, and
maybe that triggers challenges from punks. Maybe his body language or
something is somehow different. Or maybe he's got bad karma?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 8:27:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/31/2017 10:29 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/30/2017 10:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 22:52:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/30/2017 10:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 07:25:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

You rarely have to worry someone is actually going to run you over.
After all if might get blood on their car that they'd have to wash
off. But the continuous threats are tiring. When I get back from a
long city ride - say my home down to Palo Alto along Hesperian then
back again - some 50 miles - I will be threatened at least two
dozen times with cars trying to nudge me off the road. Even with
open lanes they could easily pass in. Another thing is that you
will be riding along and a car will come up behind you fast, swerve
around you and turn directly into a driveway that causes you to
slam on the brakes. Usually a store or something.

I can only say that the U.S. must be different. I've ridden in Japan,
Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and have never, repeat
NEVER, had anyone threaten me, either by word or action. I also rode
in New Hampshire and Southern California, but that was a long time ago
and I can't be sure but I certainly don't remember any acts that were
threatening.

I can only say that other parts of the U.S. must be different, because
what Tom describes almost never happens to me. Although my "other parts
of the U.S." statement needs some modification, since I've ridden all
the way across it, and ridden at least a little in 47 states so far.

The last irritating incident that happened to me was three weeks ago, on
a 50+ mile ride. Ohio has a new law requiring three feet passing
clearance. One car passed closer than that when there was plenty of room
to go around. But as someone said, I probably shouldn't attribute to
malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

If the police were to ticket these people the state would never
again have to raise taxes. And it would have the side effect of
increasing road safety. But the drivers would not stand for it.

Locally one of the people who was caught by a red light camera
wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper. He was outraged
that they were using cameras to record miscreants. There were a
dozen follow-ups by others agreeing with him and not ONE comment to
the contrary.

In our area, the camera issue was speeding, not red lights. Yes, there
were online complaints about the fact that the cops were giving tickets
for being 13 mph over the 50 mph limit on the city-center freeway. But
here, to counter the over-privileged bitching, there were several
individuals posting "Don't be stupid, just drive slower." I was one of
those. I mentioned that the time saved by speeding had to be less than
three minutes.

In W. Australia, and probably the rest of the country, they had "speed
Cameras" which were mounted on portable tripods along roads ranging
from city streets to "way out in the country". I was told by my mate,
who's daughter was employed by the Perth Police in a clerical
position, that these cameras communicated with the police in some
manner and transmitted data on speeding cars which the police computer
turned into a speeding ticket which was mailed to your house.

The attitude seemed to be "stay under the speed limit" rather then
"I'm being persecuted".

But the U.S. attitude, which admittedly I only see posted in Internet
articles, about some sort of leeway on obeying laws seems odd. If it
is O.K. to drive 15 mph over the posted limit then why a lower posted
limit. Why not simply a posted 65 mph limit?

One wonders, is it O.K. to steal if it is only a little?Â* Or even
commit murder... in a small way?

In the Land of the At One Time Free and the Now Not So Brave, we select
the best citizens for public office:

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/m...eeding-ticket/

Exemplary.

Funny thing - around here, it was a Republican rather than a Democrat,
and it was for drunk driving instead of speeding. No video, though, AFAIK..

--
- Frank Krygowski

We now have had two club members struck by cars and had video recorders on and turned this over to the police who say they can do nothing. That's liberal California for you. But Frank tells us that 20 year olds speeding around are Republicans.
Old October 31st 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:46:52 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

I just got back from a 35 mile ride with about 2000 feet of climbing. For some reason my altimeter says 875 feet of climbing - wait, maybe it's set for meters - if it were reporting meters it would be almost 3,000 feet and that's what my legs feel like. I purposely did every climb north so that's more like it.

Anyway, on this ride with relatively light traffic I had a half dozen people turn left in front of me or pass me and turn right in each case requiring me to slam on the brakes. Even though there was no reason for them to do so. There wasn't a line of traffic that they were trying to beat or they didn't have cars behind them honking. I simply can't understand what the hell is going on with drivers.
Old October 31st 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

One wonders, is it O.K. to steal if it is only a little? Or even
commit murder... in a small way?

In the Land of the At One Time Free and the Now Not So Brave, we select
the best citizens for public office:

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/m...eeding-ticket/

Exemplary.

Funny thing - around here, it was a Republican rather than a Democrat,
and it was for drunk driving instead of speeding. No video, though, AFAIK.

--
- Frank Krygowski

We now have had two club members struck by cars and had video recorders on and turned this over to the police who say they can do nothing. That's liberal California for you. But Frank tells us that 20 year olds speeding around are Republicans.

Speaking as a generally hard-boiled and cynical cyclist, I
am absolutely amazed at the vicious comments people post to
local news sites after a cyclist crash or death. Hating
cyclists, texting whilst driving (drunk or doped up
notwithstanding) and generally flaunting bad behavior seems
to cut across party lines.

I'm sure there are differences, and some demographer could
coax them out, but overall as a nation we just suck at being
human.

You could argue it's worse, much worse, elsewhere (or
better. whatever), but we are not who we were either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 1st 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

One wonders, is it O.K. to steal if it is only a little?ÂÂ* Or even
[...]

I recently read up on "rolling coal" - that is, using modifications of a
pickup truck's diesel engine to purposely shoot dense black clouds of
unburned diesel fuel out the exhaust. I'd seen it done many times, but
had it done to me (and the folks I was riding with) only once.

The comments in the articles were disheartening. I didn't realize that
most of the people "rolling coal" are intent specifically on abusing
people who choose not to pollute. The comments bragged about taunting
Prius drivers, economy car drivers and bicyclists.

One source said there are no laws against this practice in other
countries, since they're not needed. Nobody else does it; it's just
American jerks.

Yes, we are not who we were.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old November 1st 17, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The federalization of speed limits had something to do with this
attitude. Back in the 70s the federal government mandated a nationwide
55 mph speed limit that had little support from state or local
governments. I recall an "unofficial" speed limit where I lived of
about 70 mph -- if you didn't drive faster than that on the highway you
hardly ever got a ticket, even if the state police were right behind
you.

If I remember correctly the 55 mph limit was an effort to counteract
the 1973 oil crises and was initially hoped to decrease gasoline use
by as much as 2.2% while it actually had a far lesser effect. Between
1/2 and 1%.

The Federal 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act, which was
signed into law on 2 Jan 1974, was repealed in 1995 and speed control
has been a state responsibility since then.

It might also be noted that a survey by the Associated Press found
that, as of Wednesday, January 2, 1974, only 12, of the 50 states had
State speed limits as high as 55 mph. 9 states had 50 mph speed limits
and 29 states had a limit of less then 50 mph.

In fact as the legislation required 55 mph speed limits on all
four-lane divided highways. In some cases, like the New York Thruway,
the 50 mph speed limit had to be raised to comply with the law.
--
Cheers,

John B.