Hip's Next Machine - Road Fixie

Old August 20th 04, 12:59 AM
sick_skater

Default Hip's Next Machine - Road Fixie

flyingdutch Wrote:
Yeah, hippy. spill

Im bettin mine's giving you a race for your money :

Mine's cost me $300 purchase + $150 for service, labour and parts

Wow, thats pretty chea

I was checking out this sweet Thylacine SS in at pushi in King St
Hand build steel frame with ti forks etc etc and is only about $2000
You guys seen thylacine frames? Tis a Melbourne Co.
I was thinking that considering I have only ridden a SS a couple o
times maybe I should just throw one together on the cheap then see if
really like it
I figure if i get a ENO hub and have a wheel build and all that for m
existing bike it might cost me just as much as a crapy SS anyways

--
sick_skater

Old August 20th 04, 01:43 AM
flyingdutch

sick_skater Wrote:
Wow, thats pretty cheap

I was checking out this sweet Thylacine SS in at pushi in King St
Hand build steel frame with ti forks etc etc and is only about $2000
You guys seen thylacine frames? Tis a Melbourne Co.
I was thinking that considering I have only ridden a SS a couple o
times maybe I should just throw one together on the cheap then see if
really like it.
I figure if i get a ENO hub and have a wheel build and all that for m
existing bike it might cost me just as much as a crapy SS anyways.

woz a good pickup in the trading-post

I think there's still one listed in Ballarat and a few frames/bike po
up on eBay occasionally...

I considered the ENO (i think Hippy ordered one?) but found my find.
You could halve that $2000 at cecil walker inc carbon fork.

checkout sheldonbrown.com for SS conversion on the cheap
(and not so cheap if you prefer).

can thoroughly recommend it
Have little clue as to what Im doing, but jeez its FUN!!

--
flyingdutch

Old August 20th 04, 08:03 AM
Bikesoiler

sick_skater Wrote:

I was checking out this sweet Thylacine SS in at pushi in King St
Hand build steel frame with ti forks etc etc and is only about $2000
You guys seen thylacine frames? Tis a Melbourne Co.
I was thinking that considering I have only ridden a SS a couple o
times maybe I should just throw one together on the cheap then see if
really like it.
I figure if i get a ENO hub and have a wheel build and all that for m
existing bike it might cost me just as much as a crapy SS anyways.

The Thylacine is indeed a sweet machine. Would dearly like a custo
frame one day.
Do it!, Build yourself a singlespeed on the cheap.
It can be done for bugger-all. In fact start with any geared bike
take off what you don't need. Save the rear derailleur for a tensione
& your laughing

--
Bikesoiler

Old August 25th 04, 03:26 PM
hippy

flyingdutch Wrote:
Yeah, hippy. spill.
Im bettin mine's giving you a race for your money
Mine's cost me $300 purchase + $150 for service, labour and parts

It'd be up around $700 for now. BUT.. that's including a bran
spankin'
Miche groupset that cost more than my whole track bike with spare
wheels(!) and left me with hubs, headset, chain and seatpost.

I bought the new groupset fully intending to fit it to a _nice_
frame later on so I can justify the expense

Here's some costs:
Frame $18 in the form of a 6pk Mountain Goat beer
Sandblast & Powdercoat $59 A-1 Powdercoaters
Miche Groupset $550 new, CCW
1" Threaded Headset $5 new, CCW
ITM Stem $15 was $95, from CCW pile
2 x DiaCompe TT brake levers $50 new, CCW
Seatpost $0 new, CCW
Seatpost Clamp $0 new, CCW
Shimano Tourney Brake Caliper $0 included with frame from Lynzz
Profile Airwing Bullhorn bars $35
Brake cable & outer $0 from the pile, CCW

hipp

--
hippy

Old August 25th 04, 03:45 PM
hippy

sick_skater
I was checking out this sweet Thylacine SS in at pushi in King St

Hand build steel frame with ti forks etc etc and is only about $2000
You guys seen thylacine frames? Tis a Melbourne Co.

I thought they were in Tassie? I remember these guys from the trials
frame they made..

I was thinking that considering I have only ridden a SS a couple o

times maybe I should just throw one together on the cheap then see i
I really
like it.

Uh, yeah.. unless you're rich, dropping 2k on an SS without much
experience is a little silly. You gotta build one first. It's pis
easy.
Take an mtb and take off everything you don't need, tension the
chain and make sure chainline is good.. DONE.

I figure if i get a ENO hub and have a wheel build and all that for m

existing bike it might cost me just as much as a crapy SS anyways.

~$250 (http://www.atomic-industries.com/) plus the other wheel bits.

hipp

--
hippy