less cars : roll on $2 per litre

Old August 15th 06, 06:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default less cars : roll on $2 per litre

cfsmtb wrote:
Freight? Logistics? Unless there is a immediate shift to returning
Australia's freight requirements back to rolling stock, we could be
potentially in for a very rude shock regarding food prices. So why
don't food producers grow stuff closer to the population centers??

How about your back yard? Or your front yard for that matter.

My wife has been studying nutrition as part her master's in ed. One
of the factors leading to high levels of obesity is the high cost of
fresh food vs cheap processed foods. Then the quality of the
fresh fruit and veg is deteriorating too, and we can't afford to buy
all organic.

So last week I finally got around to laying out a vege garden.
Rhubarb, cucumber, capsicum and silverbeet to start with We
already have various herbs and lettuce in with the flowers.

It craps me when people with V8s complain about the cost
of fuel. Now I am beginning to think that people with gardens
who whinge about the cost of food are much the same.

Old August 15th 06, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-08-15, Donga (aka Bruce)

Bleve wrote:
If we get a little smart about transport, and anticipate the
consequences of the (all too foreseable, alas ... but people *are*
stupid) choices made re where we live, how we get to places we want to
go, where we send our kids to school etc, then it's actually not so
bad. The kids can ride their bikes to wherever they want to go, unless
it's stupidly far away, in which case, the consequences of
unsustainable choices are going to smack the people that have made
those choices, and they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Unfortunately houses within cooee of the kids' school start at $1
million for a dump.

Why go to that school then?

Public schools could really do with some investment, and the best way
to do that would be if more students attended them (figures released
last week was the trends showed there would be no more students left
in pulic schools in a year that I can't remember because I was too
sleepy, but seem to recall being 2012). The best way to do that would
be if everyone who didn't live within 2km of a rich private school
actually sent their children to their local school instead of ferrying
their precious spawn all over the place.

I live 12 minutes drive away on a good run. I can
ride it in 18 and do when it's just me and I don't need to be
'dressed'. It's not a safe ride for my kids, nor could they do it
practically with the varying hours and the gear they need.

Sorry, but I don't think the world has changed that fundamentally in
the past 15 years. I could do it 15 years ago, why not your kids?

Sure there
are choices in all this. I could use the local high and primary
schools, for demonstrably worse educational outcomes.

They wouldn't be worse if there weren't so many people thinking like
you.

You are demonstrably quite happy paying the premium on a good
education -- send them to the local school and donate it some money
ontop of their regular fees (with the condition that they do not look
more favourably upon your kids through rose tinted glasses when it
comes time to giving end of year reports).

--
TimC
-o)
Old August 15th 06, 06:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-08-15, alison_b (aka Bruce)

Donga Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
When it hits $10 a litre, what will you do?

Seriously, this problem is not going to go away. The world *will*
change.

That's obvious enough. Wishing for it to happen is still mean and
nasty. Like many people we are economising to afford what is important,
and some of the changes will get less and less fun.

My hope is that the kids' sports will become better organised...
currently the travel involved in getting kids to games is ridiculous,
sometimes driving for twice the time the game actually takes
It's not a good use of resources, and means instead of the youngsters
having, say, 3 hours of possible activity, they spend 2 hours sitting
in a car.

Bring back local leagues!!!

Why send them to aggressive contact sports by car at all? Allow them
to count cycling towards their school sport outcomes (god I wish I
didn't have to play basketball and football against my wishes), and
then the act of cycling is both sport, and commute to sporting
"facility"!

--
TimC
Vodka, barbeque, pizza, beer - which is essential for the post-modern coder?
Old August 15th 06, 06:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Wrote:
cfsmtb wrote:
Freight? Logistics? Unless there is a immediate shift to returning
Australia's freight requirements back to rolling stock, we could be
potentially in for a very rude shock regarding food prices. So why
don't food producers grow stuff closer to the population centers??

How about your back yard? Or your front yard for that matter.

Been doing that, here's last summer effort:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5103553...ardenpixjan06/

This early spring, the front yard looks like a broadbean & rocket
factory. Other stuff: shallots, lime & apricot trees, lettuce, endives,
peas, broccoli, spinach, chard, early potatoes. Up the back: carrots,
bok choy, garlic, parsley, chicory, more spinach, peas & various
herbs.

More stuff to be planted soon for spring/summer.

--
cfsmtb

Old August 15th 06, 07:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Claude

****, that IS impressive

Old August 15th 06, 07:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum

BrettS Wrote:

The nerd/mechanic/inventor/tinkerer in me still thinks that a
HPV/electric hybrid is the go. Battery charged by a wind turbine (I
live near the coast), or a solar farm in my tornado ravaged back yard.

The cost to run an electric vehicle is not the cost of the electricity
to charge the batteries, it is the cost of replacing the batteries
every 1-5 years. The cost of manufacturing / recycling the batteries
is probably linked to the price of the diesel fuel used to transport
them around.

--
ghostgum

Old August 15th 06, 07:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
deejbah

TimC Wrote:

Why send them to aggressive contact sports by car at all? Allow them
to count cycling towards their school sport outcomes (god I wish I
didn't have to play basketball and football against my wishes), and
then the act of cycling is both sport, and commute to sporting
"facility"!

--
TimC
Vodka, barbeque, pizza, beer - which is essential for the post-modern
coder?
"You are forgettink caffeine, comrade." -- Pitr Dubovich/User FriendlyGood point. I remember hating basketball in PE class to the point of

intentionally screwing up layup drills so the ball rebounded thirty
metres down court. I eventually did play it for a season or two at
school, but I agree that more focus on activity rather than sport may
have a positive effect on both general activity levels of young adults
as well as sport participation.

--
deejbah

Old August 15th 06, 07:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Claude wrote:
Er, he's saying that people who have large yards, but don't use them to grow
veges and fruit, **** him off when they complain about the cost of food (?)

Umm, yeah. What he said. I should have said "yard" rather than "garden".

Making Driving Less Safe cfsmtb Australia 33 December 19th 05 11:49 PM
end of cars verbluten Australia 6 August 13th 05 11:27 AM
Those darn cars! Patrick Lamb General 5 August 15th 03 02:23 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM