Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old November 18th 11, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame? ... no kickstand???

On Nov 17, 4:07*am, Chalo wrote:
Chip C wrote:

Over and above the 3 year thing, where is the shop getting the
no-kickstand rule? I sure don't see that anywhere on Surly's site.

D'oh. Asking improves one's eyesite.
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew..._haul_truckers

So get a bike with a kickstand plate already. *I understand the Soma
Saga has one and costs about the same as the LHT.

Chalo

Or maybe just get the exact kickstand that Surly recommends in the
blurb that the OP's bike shop seems to think prohibits kickstands.

Chip
Old November 19th 11, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Chip C wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Chip C wrote:

Over and above the 3 year thing, where is the shop getting the
no-kickstand rule? I sure don't see that anywhere on Surly's site.

D'oh. Asking improves one's eyesite.
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew..._haul_truckers

So get a bike with a kickstand plate already. I understand the Soma
Saga has one and costs about the same as the LHT.

Or maybe just get the exact kickstand that Surly recommends in the
blurb that the OP's bike shop seems to think prohibits kickstands.

Maybe, but the two-leg Pletscher I have used on several bikes clamps
onto the frame in the same frame-fuxxoring way as normal one--leg
sidestands. I use mine only on bikes that have a kickstand plate.

I put a Hebie-style Y-shaped kickstand on my wife's trailer tow bike,
and after just a few months it has misshapen and made a mess of the
hefty hi-ten steel stays it's mounted to. The way kickstands clamp
on, other than by way of a kickstand plate, is ugly and destructive.
I would most definitely not despoil a nice new frame of decent quality
by crushing it with a kickstand.

Chalo
Old November 19th 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

KNOW the ski poles used by some hikers ? picture one either side of
the seat post, on pivots. then telescopes down at two angles either
side, supporting load from the top not bottom.

Old November 20th 11, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:03:19 -0800 (PST), kolldata
wrote:

KNOW the ski poles used by some hikers ? picture one either side of
the seat post, on pivots. then telescopes down at two angles either
side, supporting load from the top not bottom.

I haven't seen that on bicycles but the small motorcycles used to
carry cargo here commonly use a stand built exactly that way that
attaches to the cargo rack on the back of the bike.

--
John B.
Old November 20th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 18, 1:30*pm, Chip C wrote:
On Nov 17, 4:07*am, Chalo wrote:

Chip C wrote:

Over and above the 3 year thing, where is the shop getting the
no-kickstand rule? I sure don't see that anywhere on Surly's site.

D'oh. Asking improves one's eyesite.
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew..._haul_truckers

So get a bike with a kickstand plate already. *I understand the Soma
Saga has one and costs about the same as the LHT.

Chalo

Or maybe just get the exact kickstand that Surly recommends in the
blurb that the OP's bike shop seems to think prohibits kickstands.

Chip

From the link: the chainstay tube walls are not super thick. You can
crush them or flex them to death.

I bet that is why they only have a 3 year warranty.
Old November 21st 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

wrote:
KNOW *the ski poles used by some hikers ? picture one either side of
the seat post, on pivots. then telescopes down at two angles either
side, supporting load from the top not bottom.

I haven't seen that on bicycles but the small motorcycles used to
carry cargo here commonly use a stand built exactly that way that
attaches to the cargo rack on the back of the bike.

--
John B.

where is 'here' ? gotta pcture ? what manufacture motorcyc;es ?

and why not bicycles ?

load weight suggests the high mount position or you can carry your own
tree or guardrail, block wall....
Old November 23rd 11, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

WE CAN USE A PHOTO FOR THE PIVOT MECHANISM.

Ahead in a gloom of moving red lights-like the morphing sequence in
2001 the film-was a semi with gray shapes. creeping up on it at
slight;ly less than the speed of light it was a trailer stacked with
gray propane cylinders like on the cheapo RVs

as i passed it, the sport dude in the next lane over turned out iunto
the exit

throwing a cigarette butt into the trucks path.

phoooooommmmmmmm

3PM into LA county, 7PM out.

I missed the CHP dragging a biker of the 5 line stopped cars by 1/4
mile

some days right ?

Old November 28th 11, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

Default Centerstand? (was: Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?)

On 10/13/2011 9:04 AM, landotter wrote:
On Oct 13, 3:35 am, wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:

You want a kickstand, and are therefore insufficently cool to buy an
overpriced mass-produced frame from the hipster marketing machine of
QBP.

Okay, I'll bite. What other touring geometry frameset with a full
complement of brazeons can you buy new for less than $400?

Chalo

List on the Soma Saga is the same as the Surly. I like Surlys a lot,
but for a touring rig, the kickstand plate on the Soma would win me
over. Plus, it has panels.

Wonder why touring bicycles do not come equipped with centerstands?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 28th 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

T∅m Sherm∀n wrote:

Wonder why touring bicycles do not come equipped with centerstands?

Because there are more people likely to be turned off by the added
cost, weight, or mere presence of a stand than there are who consider
it to be a worthy feature?

This is America, T∅m. Automatic transmissions, "warm white" (non-
white) CFLs, and department store HAUTL* bikes prevail in the
marketplace, regardless of virtue or lack thereof. Many of us are
able to develop, for lack of a better word, "refined" tastes without
any corresponding improvement in overall judgment. Thus we have bike
enthusiasts who reflexively avoid useful items like kickstands,
fenders, reflectors and spoke protectors that could save them a passel
of hassle.

Chalo

* Hideous Abomination Unto The Lord. Acronym to be used freely with
or without attribution.
Old November 29th 11, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

INTERVIEWING KAYAKERS on San Juan Island-primo NA yak venue-we find a
hi percentage of yakkers are displeased with their yaks as freakking
them out due to excessive responsiveness. ER, or lack of primary
stability is a touted west coast yak design trait with the great lakes
designs more straight line performance than twitchy response. Yawl may
have seen somehting abt the tsunami rangers ? Well, the freaked folk
were sold west coast boat designs by expert west coast yakkers aka
tsunami ranger types.
We recently applauded the mainstream switch from TdF to Touring and
now Silk Road ?
Beyond that, the stand or stand type fits into optional extras figured
by you know who. Walmart does this. There are products TRAITED for Wal
in Baton Rouge or Missoula that are not onh hand in Moriches.
Figure the extra cost of having optional extras on hand. Jeeez, forget
the fishing boat. The factory types chisel on bars and pedal shafts.