Flashing light recommendation

Old September 19th 05, 08:22 PM
Martin

Default Flashing light recommendation

Dear Group, i normally hate asking for peoples recommendations for products
cos everyone has their own personal favourites, but seeing as you're such a
knowledgable bunch i thought i'd give it a go!

I have a little halogen front light on my bike but i'd like to suppliment it
with a flashing LED lamp. This is just for commuting on reasonably well lit
streets.

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me stand
out and be noticed?

Thanks in advance

--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

PGP Key ID, 0x581E4CE1
Old September 19th 05, 08:27 PM
elyob

"Martin" wrote in message
Dear Group, i normally hate asking for peoples recommendations for
products cos everyone has their own personal favourites, but seeing as
you're such a knowledgable bunch i thought i'd give it a go!

I have a little halogen front light on my bike but i'd like to suppliment
it with a flashing LED lamp. This is just for commuting on reasonably
well lit streets.

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me
stand out and be noticed?

From what has been banded about recently, get a BS standard one. You can
then have this in addition with non-BS standard lights. I'm thinking about
getting one (as well as a new chain and rear cassette .. damn stretching) to
compliment my lumicycles.

Old September 19th 05, 08:41 PM
MSeries

Martin wrote:
Dear Group, i normally hate asking for peoples recommendations for
products cos everyone has their own personal favourites, but seeing as
you're such a knowledgable bunch i thought i'd give it a go!

I have a little halogen front light on my bike but i'd like to
suppliment it with a flashing LED lamp. This is just for commuting on
reasonably well lit streets.

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me
stand out and be noticed?

Thanks in advance

elyob makes a good point about BS flashers. Mine is not BS approved and
is a 4 LED jobby and is about the size of a small lemon. Its an Oxford
Magicube or something and cost me £15, most excellent and has a nice
offset handle bar mount so the lamp sits immediately infront of my stem
not on top of the bar.
Old September 19th 05, 10:22 PM
Mark Thompson

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me
stand out and be noticed?

Cycling naked should do it, but if you really must go down the lighting
route then almost anything should do for the flashing. It doesn't need to
be so powerful cos it's not lighting up the road so think more about the
spread of the light - will cars waiting at junctions be able to see it etc.

Also look at lights that don't take up so much precious space on your
handlbars (unless you've a straight bar, in which case you'll have acres to
play with).

Think about getting ones that take the same batteries as your current light
(but as it's a halogen I'm guessing this won't be possible).

Anything with switches that can't come on by accident when off the bike are
good. I think the smart polaris II has a twiddly thing rather than a
button.

You'll notice I haven't suggested a particular model, so let me know what
you eventually choose :-)
Old September 19th 05, 11:30 PM
Pete Biggs

"Martin" wrote in message
I have a little halogen front light on my bike but i'd like to suppliment

it
with a flashing LED lamp. This is just for commuting on reasonably well

lit
streets.

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me

stand
out and be noticed?

Smart Polaris: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1389

Don't worry about the BS BS as just about all flashing lights will soon be
legal.

~PB

Old September 19th 05, 11:35 PM
elyob

"Pete Biggs" p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
I have a little halogen front light on my bike but i'd like to suppliment

it
with a flashing LED lamp. This is just for commuting on reasonably well

lit
streets.

Do you have any recommendations for something that will really make me

stand
out and be noticed?

Smart Polaris: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1389

Don't worry about the BS BS as just about all flashing lights will soon be
legal.

Not according to what Iread in an earlier thread ...

\"CTC continues to campaign for a similar, simple legal approval of lamps
emitting steady light, and for a permitted alternative to pedal
reflectors in cases where these cannot be used or seen. Until then:
cyclists who sensibly light their way with one of those brilliant
rechargeable headlamps, that emit thousands of candle-power but are
non-the-less, non-BS, can most easily make themselves legal by also
fitting a little 4-candela flasher. "\"

Old September 19th 05, 11:45 PM
Pete Biggs

"elyob" wrote in message

Don't worry about the BS BS as just about all flashing lights will soon

be
legal.

Not according to what Iread in an earlier thread ...

\"CTC continues to campaign for a similar, simple legal approval of lamps
emitting steady light, and for a permitted alternative to pedal
reflectors in cases where these cannot be used or seen. Until then:
cyclists who sensibly light their way with one of those brilliant
rechargeable headlamps, that emit thousands of candle-power but are
non-the-less, non-BS,

That's about *steady* lights.

can most easily make themselves legal by also
fitting a little 4-candela flasher. "\"

There you go, flasher = legal (soon will be).

~PB

Old September 20th 05, 07:14 AM
wafflycat

"Pete Biggs" p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc wrote in message

There you go, flasher = legal (soon will be).

~PB

I have mixed feelings about this change. Change was certainly needed, but
I'm not sure if this is the correct change. In areas without streetlighting
a flashing light is certainly not enough light to see where you are going...
An opportunity missed? Hmmm.... not sure on this one.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 20th 05, 07:33 AM
Tony Raven

wafflycat wrote:

In areas without
streetlighting a flashing light is certainly not enough light to see
where you are going...

An understatement. I tried riding in the dark with a flashing light and
its near impossible and much worse (for seeing) than no lights IMO.

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 20th 05, 10:35 AM
elyob

"elyob" wrote in message

Don't worry about the BS BS as just about all flashing lights will soon

be
legal.

Not according to what Iread in an earlier thread ...

\"CTC continues to campaign for a similar, simple legal approval of lamps
emitting steady light, and for a permitted alternative to pedal
reflectors in cases where these cannot be used or seen. Until then:
cyclists who sensibly light their way with one of those brilliant
rechargeable headlamps, that emit thousands of candle-power but are
non-the-less, non-BS,

That's about *steady* lights.

can most easily make themselves legal by also
fitting a little 4-candela flasher. "\"

There you go, flasher = legal (soon will be).

My point is that if you are using a high powered non-BS light, then getting
a BS flasher brings you into legal. i.e. I have lumicycles and this law
change is good for me.

Flashing is legal Tony Raven UK 14 October 2nd 05 07:38 PM
Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use) SMS Techniques 9 August 12th 05 06:26 AM
A Final Election Assessment Danny Callen Racing 144 November 14th 04 10:44 PM
EverLed vs new Cateye El-500 NLee1875 Techniques 32 September 10th 04 05:55 PM
Generator Light Recommendation Wanted Billy Techniques 12 July 24th 04 02:26 AM