Heine on inflation

Old March 15th 16, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default Heine on inflation

On 2016-03-10 09:08, sms wrote:

[...]

What is not really true, in many cases, is that the reduced rolling
resistance of higher pressure tires is offset by vibration losses. If
the bicycle has suspension, then these vibration losses are not present.

Not really. My full suspension MTB vibrates like crazy on some sections
of trail. This is because you have to run with fairly high pressure in
the shocks for the other more gnarly secitions so you won't bottom out.

something is quite wrong or your vibrates like crazy is my minor
jiggles, I have a Trance not a high end one, but certinly with hans
dampf tyres it makes trails like that smooth. The CX bike I have on
those sort of trails does Vibrate as you'd imagine but not the MTB.

Look at the video and watch the guy's hands. That sort of vibration is
normal out here except in winter when the trails are soggy.

it's a perfectly normal trail, I have and do take CX bikes (33mm 300g
racing ralphs) on worse, the Trance flattens that sort of terrian.

Trance? What's that and how does it flatten tarrain? I want some of it :-)

Giants range of full suspention MTBs been around for years, other
companies do simular.

I run the suspention to the recomended pressure for my weight. I run the
tyres around the 30PSI mark which is what feels right for me.

That has resulted in too many pinch flats for me. I now run them at
55psi and with really thick tubes in there (almost motorcycle strength).
No more flats. This made the vibrations worse but not a lot. The
suspension is at 10-20% above for my weight, to prevent bottoming out on
fast stretches.

there is something very wrong with your set up, if your crashing though
Rockgardens maybe but for gravelly trails with odd rock here and there.

I have never pinch flatted that bike, at 30psi I run my tyres firm
compared to most who go to 20psi ish.

again look at your set up.

Like what on there?

The only reason I carry a patch kit is for other riders. They ride in
the 20-30psi range and get lots of flats.

Some of them laugh at my thick tube plus tire liner plus rubber sleeve
setup. Until ... pshhheeeooouuu.

Not had a pinch flat or sidewall tear yet, the Hans is tough if fast
wearing tyre.

Hans Dampf is too pricey for me since I go through rear tires are the
rate of one every 500mi. But if wouldn't make much of a difference.

in my experence tyres make huge differnces.

They do but only if you can find some with sturdy thick sidewalls. The
only 29" tire that came even close cost $80-90. I asked my bike dealer
if that would last more than 500mi. "Nope, not where you ride". The
sturdiest tire I ever had is also the cheapest: Maxxis 1040N, $12.
Unfortunately they do not make 29" versions of it.

wear rate and durablity are not the same thing, the Hans is reinforced,
but also has a soft compound rubber, so it will shrug off side wall
slashes and thus far thorns and like haven't managed to puncture but the
wear is horrific.

But they are what they are, they blow up big and at 30psi or lower offer
staggering performance.

That bike is a high performace machine it cost a fair old amount so
sticking cheap tyres seems a tad daft.

I have a old MTB that I commute on, that gets more budget tyres, a step
or two above the hard plasticly rubber that the very cheap tyres have.
But reasonably grippy and reasonbly long wear life etc.

Roger Merriman
Old March 15th 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 10:06:38 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/14/2016 9:26 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

As you say, anyone who completes one of the 1200k+ rides is worthy of
admiration and respect, so hats off to Russel Seaton.

I agree. I have a friend who has done the PBP ride, and I admire the
feat. I did my only 200 mile day riding with him, and I decided that
was challenge enough for me!

Well (without regard to Russel, who seems to be a fine person), the achievement is worthy of admiration and respect. The person, however, may or may not be worthy of admiration and respect. I know plenty of physically gifted individuals who are horrible people.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 15th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

trance....trance is what 29" tires users with hd tubes, bands, fill liquid use to ignore the rotating mass visavee control
Old March 15th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/15/2016 8:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 10:06:38 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/14/2016 9:26 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

As you say, anyone who completes one of the 1200k+ rides is worthy of
admiration and respect, so hats off to Russel Seaton.

I agree. I have a friend who has done the PBP ride, and I admire the
feat. I did my only 200 mile day riding with him, and I decided that
was challenge enough for me!

Well (without regard to Russel, who seems to be a fine person), the achievement is worthy of admiration and respect. The person, however, may or may not be worthy of admiration and respect. I know plenty of physically gifted individuals who are horrible people.

-- Jay Beattie.

I couldn't read that without thinking of the drugged out
pervert Jacques Anquetil. Among the most accomplished riders
of all time.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 15th 16, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:06:38 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/14/2016 9:26 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

As you say, anyone who completes one of the 1200k+ rides is worthy of
admiration and respect, so hats off to Russel Seaton.

I agree. I have a friend who has done the PBP ride, and I admire the
feat. I did my only 200 mile day riding with him, and I decided that
was challenge enough for me!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Thank you. But in hindsight, old age, I am not sure I would recommend doing these rides or randonneuring in general. As I get older I realize I like to just enjoy my bike rides. That means reasonable distances and terrain with frequent stops to socialize with my riding buddies. Doing something just to say you did it does not have much luster anymore. The longer randonneur rides are not really fun and enjoyable. Spending 12-18-24 hours riding a bike is not fun. It wears you down physically and mentally. For me, I'm glad I rode PBP 2007. It might have been better though to just spend a week riding from Paris to Brest and back carrying a few provisions and stopping every night at an inn and eating a delicious French meal and drinking wine.
Old March 15th 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 9:01:27 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Well (without regard to Russel, who seems to be a fine person), the achievement is worthy of admiration and respect. The person, however, may or may not be worthy of admiration and respect. I know plenty of physically gifted individuals who are horrible people.

-- Jay Beattie.

I couldn't read that without thinking of the drugged out
pervert Jacques Anquetil. Among the most accomplished riders
of all time.

--
Andrew Muzi

I'd sure like to think I am a fine person. Or at least within one standard deviation (plus or minus) of fine enough. Andy, what was Anquetil's perversion? The drugs are no big deal. Everyone then, and now, are using drugs..
Old March 15th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/15/2016 9:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 10:06:38 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/14/2016 9:26 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

As you say, anyone who completes one of the 1200k+ rides is worthy of
admiration and respect, so hats off to Russel Seaton.

I agree. I have a friend who has done the PBP ride, and I admire the
feat. I did my only 200 mile day riding with him, and I decided that
was challenge enough for me!

Well (without regard to Russel, who seems to be a fine person), the achievement is worthy of admiration and respect. The person, however, may or may not be worthy of admiration and respect. I know plenty of physically gifted individuals who are horrible people.

Good point. Which is why I said I "admire the feat."

But I do suspect that almost all finishers of PBP would be, shall we
say, better than average people.* In my mind, it takes some class to
commit to training for such an event.

(*Come to think of it, I believe bicyclists in general are better than
average people. But I know I'm prejudiced!)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 15th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/15/2016 10:30 AM, wrote:
[...]

A couple years ago, my wife and I did something like that, bike touring
along the route of the Seine for about a week, staying in B&B's (Chambre
d'Hotes) and small hotels. It was one of my favorite bike tours.

But I'm getting psychologically ready for bike geezerhood. I get great
joy out of browsing though my collection of Frank Patterson sketchbooks,
with drawings of tweed-clad gentlemen on bike tours during the 1930s. I
can see myself in one of his sketches, reclining against an oak tree,
gazing at a a valley view with a picnic lunch spread before me. I think
I'll skip smoking a pipe, though.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 15th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

For some values of 'better' maybe generally, but some are
and some aren't. We cyclists are a big group

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-08-14/...ta-driver-head

http://news.yahoo.com/video/bicyclis...124323948.html

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/s...nday/19238999/

http://www.kplctv.com/story/2533064/...scapes-on-bike

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...n-central-park

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...arged-20130310

and then Jacques Anquetil.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Jan Heine on headlights Frank Krygowski[_2_] Techniques 2 September 29th 13 01:46 AM
Kickin a little (Jan) Heine ceecee Techniques 1 July 2nd 10 03:00 PM
OT Inflation Tom Crispin UK 77 August 16th 08 01:17 PM
OT Inflation Danny Colyer UK 0 August 12th 08 06:35 PM
OT Inflation spindrift UK 0 August 12th 08 03:40 PM