MTB light frame recomendations

Old July 18th 03, 03:40 AM
orfeo

Default MTB light frame recomendations

Thanks FS , i'n actually pretty light for my size (78 kg . 6ft 3in)
so i can't lose much weight . I'm not sure what to really do but
since i can't really affoard to do much then i think i'm going to have
to live with what i've got (i did a ruff weigh on the scales at home and
it came in at 11-12 kg). But thanks very much for the help, when the
time and money comes i'll be able to make a better informated descision.

Thanks again

orfeo

Old July 18th 03, 08:09 AM
D&M johnston

Possibly another area to work on.....

Try to build up more body strength...then the bike won't feel so heavy.

Worth a thought maybe!!

Cheers
DJ

Old July 18th 03, 02:40 PM
John Stevenson

orfeo wrote:

How much would i be looking at to upgrade the wheels? i assume
about $100 a wheel?

Try doubling that and doubling it again to get something reasonably
decent put together by a wheelbuilder. Double it *again* if you're a
gullible idiot attracted by shiny low-spoke-count hype-wheels.

Oh, and there is absolutely no point whatsoever upgrading a frame that's
sitting behind an Indy C "suspension" "fork". The quote marks are there
because the Indy series components failed to deliver minimum acceptable
performance for either "suspension" - an undamped spring with barely any
travel to speak of - or "fork", given they were sufficiently torsionally
flexible that steering was an act of optimism rather than control. If
you can't control a bike properly, it doesn't matter how light it is,
it's still a piece of junk, and anything with an Indy C lobbed o the
front is a piece of junk.

Do NOT waste your money upgrading this bike: buy a new one. Slap slicks
and a cheap rigid fork (which will steer properly) on your 970 and use
it as a hack/commuter/runabout.

Old July 21st 03, 12:40 AM
orfeo

John Stevenson wrote:
orfeo wrote:

Do NOT waste your money upgrading this bike: buy a new one. Slap slicks
and a cheap rigid fork (which will steer properly) on your 970 and use
it as a hack/commuter/runabout.

Hey John,

Any suggestions where to get a light rigid fork?, i've asked around a
few shops but they said you can't really get them anymore unless your
getting some really heavy ones to withstand big drops and harsh
treatment. I'm only using my bike in suburbia and the city so i could
live without suspension. My forks (the indy XC - are they the same
ones you were describing) are 3.1 lbs , how much could i save if i had
solid forks?

thanks again

orfeo

Old July 21st 03, 01:31 AM
hippy

"orfeo" wrote in message
Any suggestions where to get a light rigid fork?, i've asked around a
few shops but they said you can't really get them anymore unless your
getting some really heavy ones to withstand big drops and harsh
treatment. I'm only using my bike in suburbia and the city so i could
live without suspension. My forks (the indy XC - are they the same
ones you were describing) are 3.1 lbs , how much could i save if i had
solid forks?

I have a Klein alu fork for my commuter mtb4road. Well, it's actually
gone back to being a real mountain bike now as it has knobbies and
a brand new Marzocchi MXC on it. This fork (~800g?) saved me over
a kilo on my RST381 (~2kg) suspension forks and was found second
hand in a bike shop in Melbourne.
Basically, what i did was pick up the Yellow Pages and start ringing
bike shops, asking if they had any rigid mtb forks.
99% of shops will say something along the lines of "we have some
big, heavy, ugly, probably OEM off a beater forks, you can have
for $100". 1% will say "yes, we have some tasty light forks for you".
There's no easy way - basically start calling and start scouring boards
and mailing lists, etc for people offloading rigid forks.
With the increased popularity of singlespeeding, there may be more
rigid forks available nowadays, I'm not sure.
Kinesis still make light, rigid, mtb forks I think. Other than that,
there
will be lots of heavy options available such as Planet-X Kniffen's
and stuff for dirt jumping, trials, etc.
Try: http://www.scvimports.com.au/ for Kinesis if you can't find a
second hand fork.

HTH
hippy

Old July 21st 03, 11:25 AM
Ollie Wigg

I live in richmond and I thik I have a bright yellow kinesis fork that I'd
be willing to sell. Might have thrown it out. email me on olliewigg@aarvark
..net.au if you're interested.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:59 AM
orfeo

Ollie Wigg wrote:
I live in richmond and I thik I have a bright yellow kinesis fork that
I'd be willing to sell. Might have thrown it out. email me on
olliewigg@aarvark .net.au if you're interested.

hey ollie,

i tried to email you on that address but it bounced back (i took the
space out between the aarvark. and the net ).

how much would you want for them?, how big is the stem (diameter) and
how heavy are they?.

you can email me on

orfeo