Debris on Heidelberg Rd

Old July 21st 03, 12:32 PM
Claude

Default Debris on Heidelberg Rd

Riding along Heidelberg Rd in Clifton Hill about 6.30PM I got this large
piece of very thick wire and metal stuck in my back wheel. Brought me to an
involuntary screaming halt and scared the bejeezus out of me. The wire has
wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one spoke
is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work OK.
Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the same
hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that sort
of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me- usually
just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and bad
cyclists)

Old July 21st 03, 12:36 PM
Deep Floyd Mars

Claude wrote in message
[...]

Midday today on Johnston St, near Brunswick St, there was a whole front
bumper bar in the bike lane!!!!! How the hell could someone not notice that
falling off their car?!?!?!?!?
---
DFM

Old July 21st 03, 01:35 PM
K&C Russell

"Claude" wrote in message
[...]

Claude,

I came through around 5:45pm and did not see anything on the road. Guess I
was lucky not to pick it up in the dark.

Kevin

Old July 21st 03, 03:00 PM
Gags

Claude

I changed my commute from Yallambie to Southbank from the road bike along
Heidelberg Rd to the mountain bike along the Yarra Trail. This was after I
was "T-Boned" by a guy in a car who I could have swore was looking straight
at me but he said he must have looked through me. This happened on
Wellington Road on the way home one arvo. I was pretty bruised on the left
calf where he hit me and the right bum cheek where I hit the ground (I was
doing about 35km/h at the time). Both wheels on the bike were buckled and
there were some minor scratches. After resisting the desire to do further
damage to his car and to him (not in that order), I found him to actually be
a pretty good bloke. He gave me a ride home and signed a statement saying
that he was at fault and would pay for any damages. He got off pretty light
as it was only $50 to get the wheels trued and $200 for a new helmet (head
hit the ground pretty hard).

Anyway, I rode in on the road a few more times but I was pretty well getting
spooked by any cars that approached from the left and so for peace of mind
for both myself and the wife, I have switched routes to the Yarra Trail. It
is about 23km as opposed to 18km by road and it takes me about 10 to 15 min
longer each way but I feel that the lack of traffic makes up for it. It is
especially good in the mornings (I leave home at 0630h) when it is pitch
black and the home made front light comes into its own........gotta watch
for the reflection of dogs eyes as there are a few early risers out walking
the woofers.

I just clicked over 1500km on the mountain bike today (all from commuting)
and tonight when I was working on a battery charger in the shed, I realised
that my rear tyre on the bike was deflated (first flat in 1500km so I am
pretty happy with that - I reckon that the floor pump makes all the
difference).

Gags

Old July 22nd 03, 11:47 AM
K&C Russell

Gags,

You must be just down the road from me in Yallambie. Sorry to hear about
your accident, but I have to admire your self control in not taking it to
the driver. I am surpised he was not charged by the police assuming that
you reported it.

Kevin

Old July 23rd 03, 12:37 AM
John Doe

cyclists)
:
: Midday today on Johnston St, near Brunswick St, there was a whole front
: bumper bar in the bike lane!!!!! How the hell could someone not notice
that
: falling off their car?!?!?!?!?
: ---

lol. Its amazing what rubbish you see on the road. Years ago I used to
ride on the F3 before realising that the old pacific highway was much more
pleasant and the amount of car bits and rubber bits and other bits (bits
everywhere) was amazing.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
John Doe

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
: "John Doe" wrote
:
: lol. Its amazing what rubbish you see on the road. Years ago I used to
: ride on the F3 before realising that the old pacific highway was much
more
: pleasant and the amount of car bits and rubber bits and other bits (bits
: everywhere) was amazing.
:
: In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
: Three pairs of pliers
: a few screwdrivers
: five spanners
: two shifters
: one brass hammer (good quality $100 jobbie)
: one rather large chisel bit from an air hammer
: one surveyor's staff
: one chain tensioner, such as truckies use
: Amongst other stuff.
:
: The bit that worried me was all the disc brake pads lying in the gutter.
:
: Theo
:
:

Wow. I have only ever seen rubbish. I have seen disc brake pads. Numerous
screwdrivers but some of the stuff you have found is bizarre. The surveyors
staff is a good one.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:20 AM
hippy

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-

I've scored (memory fading here):
- countless screwdrivers
- countless spanners
- a nice wood saw
- quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
- lots of coins
- more than one brand new tube of glue
- heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
- a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
- a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
- a zippo lighter

These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
my head. hip.

Old July 23rd 03, 04:32 AM
John Doe

"hippy" wrote in message
: "Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
: ...
: In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
:
: I've scored (memory fading here):
: - countless screwdrivers
: - countless spanners
: - a nice wood saw
: - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
: - lots of coins
: - more than one brand new tube of glue
: - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
: - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
: - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
: - a zippo lighter
:
: These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
: my head. hip.
:
:

Crikey, I have ridden a lot over the last 20 years of my life. I am going
to have to keep my eyes open a bit more. Although yes wheel weights are
common.

Old July 24th 03, 07:48 AM
Ben Long

Were all these items all found in the one placeat the one time? Sounds like
a truck load of stuff... literally!