Lance is "The man"

Old July 22nd 03, 01:00 PM
Spider1977

Default Lance is "The man"

Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one remaining
nut, then power past JU like he was standing still.

As Bruce Macavaney would say it was "special".

After reading his book and following his last 3 TdeF's I have nothing
but admiration for a true sportsman.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:28 PM
Theo Bekkers

"Spider1977" wrote
Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one

remaining
nut, then power past JU like he was standing still.

Did you see JU wait for him?

Theo

Old July 22nd 03, 03:47 PM
David Sutton

Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try
not to shout it out in the subject line. If you want to discuss the results
of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are televised, then do it
inside the post, and put a spoiler in the subject line.

Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a thought
for those who are hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to
avoid finding out any details of the racing. Don't scream about someone
being "the man" when there are probably many folks reading this newsgroup
who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've seen
the stage on SBS.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:43 PM
Luther Blissett

David Sutton wrote:

Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try
not to shout it out in the subject line. If you want to discuss the results
of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are televised, then do it
inside the post, and put a spoiler in the subject line.

Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a thought
for those who are hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to
avoid finding out any details of the racing. Don't scream about someone
being "the man" when there are probably many folks reading this newsgroup
who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've seen
the stage on SBS.

Dave, he didn't mention the result in the title. He merely said Lance
was "The Man". I do think you should lighten up a bit - sounds like
you've been working too hard.

- LB

Old July 22nd 03, 05:40 PM

That sportsmanship isn't quite like the sportsmanship from cricket of
old or something. Pro cycling is about making deals within the peleton
because racers frequently need cooperation from opponents, like in a
break for example. But doing the dirty is remembered, and there is
always the opportunity for "payback" later on. Been known as an arsehole
can be a detriment to earnings. IOW it aint really about sportsmanship.

FWIW, Lance waiting for Ullrich 2 years ago was on a descent and a long
way from the finish, so there was almost no cost to Lance for him to
slow down. But yesterday Ullrich waited on the final climb and had much
to lose waiting. He did and some say he shouldn't have - including Phil
Ligget. I'd say he had no bloody choice.

GK

Spider1977 wrote:

Yes Theo, that was fantastic sportsmanship. I also admire JU, in fact I
admire all these guys.

I can't imagine what it must be like for all the "domestiques" who work
so hard for the stars to take the glory.

The final days after the rest day will be really interesting. I hope it
goes down to the wire, I'll be glued to the TV late on Sunday night.

Old July 23rd 03, 12:28 AM
Jock

LOL
One grip required.
Jock

Old July 23rd 03, 12:29 AM
Theo Bekkers

"g" wrote
That sportsmanship isn't quite like the sportsmanship from cricket of
old or something.

No, it's nothing like the sportsmanship of the 1930's bodyline series, or
bowling underarm to the New Zealanders, or betting on a game you're playing
in, or even threatening an 11 year old kid because he saw you smoking.

The sportsmanship of cricket is just a little overrated IMHO.

Theo

Old July 23rd 03, 04:11 AM
hippy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
Melbourne "homage" to the 100 anniversairy, try wrapping a spare 700C
tyre around the shoulder blades to get that special retro TDF look.

Did they have 700C tyres back then?

curious hippy

Old July 23rd 03, 09:51 AM
Andrew Swan

David Sutton wrote:
Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try
not to shout it out in the subject line. snip

Me too, I hate finding out ANYTHING about a stage before I've seen it on
TV. This is why I self-impose a blackout on newsgroups, TV, radio, and
well-meaning colleagues who want to discuss the TdF - IOW, if you care
about not knowing the results so much (as I do), don't go places or do
things where you might find something out by accident. People are ALWAYS
going to give things away on a cycling newsgroup, intentionally or
otherwise.

HTH,

&roo

Old July 23rd 03, 10:08 AM
Suzy Jackson

"hippy" wrote in message

Did they have 700C tyres back then?

curious hippy

They had singles, which are the same rim size as 700c. In my original copy
of "Richards Bike Book" (a UK book) he mentions in the touring section that
people who want to tour in Europe have to either carry enough 27" tyres and
tubes for the trip, or else use 700c (European) tyres, so I suspect that in
the Metric world bike tyres have always been 700c, and it's just us
colonialists that got stick with the crappy inch sizes.

Regards,

Suzy

Lance vs George W Bush John Racing 0 July 20th 04 06:30 AM
LANCE ARMSTRONG'S BID FOR COVETED SIXTH TOUR DE FRANCE FOILED Richard Longwood Racing 6 June 28th 04 03:06 AM
Lance comments on Wilson Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer Racing 2 March 2nd 04 03:53 AM