A couple of questions about cycling.

Old August 3rd 03, 10:53 AM
Etxy

Default A couple of questions about cycling.

Cheese wrote:
1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?
2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU
3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?
4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??
Thanks.

1. Aerodynamics, easier to massage and less likely to get infected in
the event of a crash. Also, uniformity comes into play.
2. Under $1000, you'd be better looking for a second hand bike. You can
get a $2500 bike for under $1000 second hand.
3. Lots and lots of hard work!
4. Clipless pedals are a huge help, cycling knicks are very
comfortable and I'd also recommend a bike computer, if you don't
already have one.

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

Old August 3rd 03, 11:15 AM
PC

On 3 Aug 2003 19:13:00 +0950, Cheese
wrote:

1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

This question has been asked a million times, search groups.google.com
and you'll find a million different answers.. In my opinion, it's
somewhere between "the clean look is basically part of the uniform"
and "it helps keep crash damage (cuts, scrapes etc) from getting too
nasty"..

Oh, and I think you'll find that serious cyclists would wax, not
shave..

2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Can't help there, sorry.. I ride a hybrid mtb/commuter..

3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

In what circumstances? Back street riding? Main road riding? Race
track riding? Rail Trails? Hilly? Flat?

I average 23km/h on mostly flat stop/start back street riding, and
it's gradually working up after 18 months of perseverence and
switching from 46/36/28 gears to 52/39 gears..

4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

Whatever you find most comfortable.. Since moving a few weeks ago, my
home-work commute now is fairly short (5.5km), so I don't need to ride
in Lycra, but I do, because that's what I always used to wear, and I
still have to wear something.. Besides, almost anything else makes my
legs tired unnecessarily.. My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle
for extra comfort, panniers for a change of clothes and wet weather
gear, a $5 portable FM radio taped to the handlebars, shimano cleats,
multiple LED flashers for extra night visibility and a fairly basic
cycle computer for speed/distance/avg's

PC, 3056

Old August 4th 03, 12:51 AM
hippy

"Cheese" wrote in message
1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

PC's explanation sums it up: check google groups and you'll find stacks
of
reasons. Shaved looks nice but personally I can't be bothered.

2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Second-hand or check out brands such as Avanti, Giant, Specialized.
I think Shogun are making some 'better' road bikes these days. Try
also Merida and Norco. You pretty much get what you pay for, but
there comes a point where the more you pay, the less you get. It's
the Law of Diminishing Returns.

3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

Move somewhere flat, with no traffic and no stop lights/signs and
ride with a tailwind :-)
Or, train seriously for a few years (possibly many years).

4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

- Knicks if the distance is over 20k's for me.
- Jersey with pockets at back so I don't have to
carry food in backpack or saddle bag.
- Good lights for night riding.
- I like a speedo but it is certainly not necessary.
- Bottle cage/s and Bottles for longer rides are a must (I have a
serious
dehydration headache from Saturday! because I skimped on water)
- Spare tube/s, pump, tyre levers, etc stuffed into saddle bag.
- Clipless pedals are nice though not absolutely necessary (my mtb
has DMR V8 flat pedals which use sharp pins for grip - mind your
shins!).

Just have a think about what would make your rides "better" for
you and then see if there's a product that will do it for you. Then
justify the cost/benefit

hth
hippy

Old August 4th 03, 09:48 AM
PC

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:41:42 +1000, Andrew Swan
wrote:

My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle for extra comfort

Seriously? That's not a saddle, that's an armchair! :-)

Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

Unfortunately, Velo saddles don't seem to agree with me, or maybe
they're just shoddy, so I have to replace em every 9-12 months or so..
They're $49 each, but I pay it anyway.. It seems a small price to pay
for comfort..

PC