Top End Steel Bikes Vs Top End Carbon

Old April 29th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Top End Steel Bikes Vs Top End Carbon

I've been riding my Colnago CLX 3.0 for most of my rides over the last 2 months. Most of the rest of the time I've been riding my Time VX Edge that I made ridable with 28 mm tires and an Ultegra group which has begun to drive me crazy since you have to "snap" the inside lever on the right to get it to allow you to shift into a lower/faster gear.

Yesterday I took my Basso out and I have to say that it rides every single bit as good as my Colnago does. Ready to ride the Colnago is only 2 1/2 lb lighter than the Basso. I am quite sure that I could lighten the Basso up a lb with carbon wheels.

But I have complete faith in the Basso and its aluminum wheels and can ride it all out while riding the Colnago I have visions of broken carbon fiber parts. Both the Colnago and the Basso have tubeless tires on them and while the Basso has Maxxi tires that didn't feel like they rolled very well when new they rolled very well indeed yesterday. I did hit something that would have given me a flat on a clincher but only sprayed a little sealant on my foreleg and doesn't seem to have lost any pressure. Even if you use Orange Sealant it turns asphalt grey after a couple of revolutions so unless it is a major puncture you can't find it unless you stop immediately.

I'm still carrying a flat repair kit since I don't have enough miles to actually be brave enough to rely completely on tubeless, but already I've hit enough junk on these California roads that should have flatted me that I don't really have any worries of flatting.

I have another new set of Tubeless Vittoria tires and when those Maxxi's bite the dust I'll install those. The reports on the Maxxi's is that they don't wear well. With the Vittoria the bike will REALLY corner. The Continental GP5000's on the Colnago really corner great - probably better than the Vittoria but they have poor directional stability and you have to keep your eyes on the road continuously.

In a couple of weeks is the Grizzly Peak Century and I'm doing the Metric which is 76 miles. I haven't made up my mind what to ride yet but the last time I rode the Basso. Since there's 6,000 feet of climbing including one 16% 3/4 mile long section I'll probably take the Colnago. And I'm doing it with my younger brother. I killed him last time because he hadn't done any training at all. This time he has been training up a storm to give me the axe.. Since he is 15 years younger he does have a distinct advantage. And he is built like my rather - 5'8" and with a good cycling trim. And on a super-light Look 695. This probably weighs the same ready to ride but he carries flat stuff in his back pockets to impress people by lifting it with one finger. I need two fingers and save one for him.