Look Keo Pedals

Old April 29th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Look Keo Pedals

For those interested in a light pedal, I have bought and tried the Look Keo Blade pedals.

They are smaller and lighter than the Delta pedals at 230 grams per pair. The spring isn't metal but a carbon fiber plate that seems to work quite well.

The one problem is that they are so light that they do not rotate into the proper position to easily click into them. The low friction of the bearings is almost to high to allow them to rotate reliably. Now perhaps the bearing seals will wear in and allow the pedals to be more reliably rotated so I'll see about that.

The cleats are smaller so if you intend to use pedals like this you should have solid carbon soles on your shoes to prevent getting a hot-foot on long rides.

These smaller cleats are a great deal more difficult to walk on polished surfaces on so be sure when you buy the pedals you also order the rubber walking cleat covers at the same time. My old Delta covers work half-assed but fall off easily so if the Keo covers don't arrive on time you CAN use the old Delta covers for a short while.

My overall perception of these is that I will change over all of my bikes to these pedals. They seem to hold the cleat in more reliably and they click out easier.
Old April 29th 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I just dumped my Keo Blades and got some plain old Keo2 Max because the blades on the blades kind of went flaccid, and I didn't feel like spending the money to replace them. I was pulling out of them regularly. I'll eventually buy some new blades because I need a second set of pedals.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 29th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

My Keo2 Max started creaking. Any suggestions?

--
duane
Old April 29th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1:29:37 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

There's only one place for them to "creak". Where the metal spring rubs against the clip axle. The metal pedal axle is permanently lubricated.
Old April 29th 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'll keep an eye for that. An entire rebuild kit is $43 from Hong Kong. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Look-Keo-Bl...MZWaQiotKVWYDw
Old April 30th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Start with some Teflon tape around the spindle threads. Actually, start with tightening your rear QR.

I once had a Keo2 Max pedal body come off the spindle (stuck to my cleat), but it didn't make any noise first. I think it was an issue with early production. The store replaced it.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 30th 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/4/19 10:16 am, jbeattie wrote:

I once had a Keo2 Max pedal body come off the spindle (stuck to my
cleat), but it didn't make any noise first. I think it was an issue
with early production. The store replaced it.

I bought a new pair recently. The threaded plastic retainer started to
undo on both pedals, even after I tightened it up. I applied a little
sticky oil (like linseed) and they have not loosened again.

--
JS
Old April 30th 19, 11:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Had the same thing happen. Odd but was with another rider a couple weeks
later and the same thing happened with their Keos. Only two instances
I’ve seen and within a couple weeks. Bad batch?

Teflon tape and a touch of lock tight and they’re tight. Thinking now
it’s maybe the slip grips on the cleats.

--
duane
Old May 1st 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Remember that the axle for the locking plate is replaceable which means that it is something that could come loose and make noise.

I have something that had to do with the FSA Gossamer cranks making noise. One of the reasons that I've liked the FSA is because I never had any problems with them and they were always silent. This makes me want Campy cranks now since there is a locking screw that can lock everything together positively. Before these I had bought an FSA SL-K 386 crank and what arrived was a narrow shaft version - 86?? Third time is the charm since I bought a new gossamer from some guy and it too was the narrow shaft version. I recently sold that one to a guy who only intended to use the rings. At least I got my money back.
Old May 1st 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

OK, I did a nonstop 50 miler today with nearly 5,000 feet of climbing. I was SLOWWWW with just under a 10 mph average. Part of this was because it was almost winter-like weather with wind blowing in your face no matter what direction you turned. And I had only a thin long sleeve jersey and shorts on.. The gloves cut off the circulation in my left hand and finally I couldn't shift. I removed the glove and only got partial use of the hand because it was so cold out.

In any case I gave the pedals a very good workout. My impression of them now is even better than it was Sunday.

Because of Jay's comments about the carbon clip spring getting flaccid I bought a rebuild kit to keep on the shelf. As is usual with this, Jay's experience was probably an outlier and I'll have this kit on the shelf forever.

But they are so much easier to clip into than the Delta pedals and they weight a little less @ $100 as the top of the line Delta Looks at twice the price it seems a good idea to replace all of those pedals. Or with my luck the price will double in a week.