Belt drive

Old May 1st 19, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Belt drive

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 9:44:30 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2019 8:28 PM, John B. wrote:
rOn Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:14:17 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-30 15:59, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 6:48:51 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 4/30/2019 3:16 PM, Joerg wrote:

Maybe your riding style or terrain. I tend to always go full
bore, whatever the leg muscles can deliver. That ain't wrong,
that's my mode of operation because I don't like to go slow.

You've been all over the map with your speed claims, Joerg. When
it suits your arguments at the time, you say you ride fast. When it
suits your other arguments, you've said you ride slow.

That's because you don't pay attention.

-- - Frank Krygowski

IF it were true then Joerg's going full bore over any terrain at all
times would be a great part of why he has so much trouble with his
stuff breaking.

I don't bomb downhill on the MTB anymore. Too old for that and seen too
many cases of the aftermath when it went wrong.

I do often get to 20mph on regular MTB trail sections and since we have
rocks embedded in the ground that's hard on the bike. Hence a FS MTB and
a home-built rack system because the commercial stuff ain't good.

However, we were talking about road bike tires here and there I always
go full close tilt unless I am distracted. For example by aerobatics up
in the sky on Friday. That was worth seeing.

Full means a speed that I can hold for an hour or two, not a speed where
my tongue hangs on the handlebar after 10mins. IOW the speed tat gives
me the best time from A to Z, not just from A to B.

Hmmm... I've always thought "full speed" was the speed you reached
when that big, bad, dog, came rushing out of the drive with dinner on
his mind.

My experiences have been that one can reach some astonishingly high
speeds in that event :-)

From the bicycling movie American Flyers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

--
- Frank Krygowski

I always wondered how Eddie (the dog) got the shoe out of the pedal if the toe-clips were snug.

Cheers
Old May 1st 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-30 17:28, John B. wrote:
rOn Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:14:17 -0700, Joerg

[...]

[...]

Depends on how you are with dogs. The last (really big) one which looked
similar to an Anatolian Shepherd eventually stopped growling at me,
sniffed my hand and then licked it.

My MTB buddy had an event of the other kind. Instead of a dog a redneck
came running out of a shed, all angry, hollering obscenities, rifle in
hand. That warranted a very speedy departure.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 1st 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-30 16:23, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 15:51:45 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-30 15:30, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:13:14 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-29 21:49, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:35:23 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

Besides, it ain't cheap:

1. SUV, four tires, $70 each so $280 total, 1st set lasted 70000mi and
still had half the tread. I only replaced them because they were around
15 years old.

70,000 miles at $280? that is what? Less than one cent a mile? and you
can't afford it?

Where did I say that?

Just above. You wrote "1. SUV, four tires, $70 each so $280 total, 1st
set lasted 70000mi and still had half the tread. I only replaced them
because they were around 15 years old."

$280 X 100 = 28,000 cents divided by 70000 = 0.04 cents a mile

I never said that I can't afford it. Do not state words that other
people did not say.

You are correct. You didn't say that you couldn't afford it. But by
the way that you so lovingly described the deal it certainly sounded
as though the $280 made a big impression on you.

Yes, I found that astonishingly cheap for the service life you get out
of them when compared to bicycle tires. Yet this was not a sale price
but the regular sticker price while with bicycle tires I always wait for
a deal and then buy several.

2. Gatorskin, $45, lasted 2500mi at which point the tread surface was at
bare minimum.

What sort of a job do you have that you can't afford $45/2500 = 1.8
cents a mile for tires?

3. Vittoria Zafiro, $13, 2000mi.

Want more? I trust you can do the math.

Sure I can do the math and in my money 45 dollars is 1,440 baht. Which
is literally pocket change. It won't even cover a trip to the grocery
store. And you are whining about that?

Our parents and grandparents instilled a good philisophy in us. "He who
does not value the penny is not worth the dollar". I know scores of
people who say similar things. "What? You mind the measly five bucks of
a morning coffee and pastry at the drive-thru?". Well, I do. Needless to
say the folks who lived that way must keep on working until they are
well north of 65 and some literally until they keel over. I don't.

The problem is that in your grandparents day a penny was money. Today,
if you still have 1 cent coins it isn't even pocket change. If you
drop one most people couldn't be bothered to bend over and pick it up.

Those are typically those who run into money troubles. Pretty much
everyone whom I ever heard saying things like "Oh, that's just chump
change" did.

Well, I didn't but not because I scrimped on the pennies but because I
put half my earnings in the bank or later invested them, from the time
I first went to work. I also never, with the exception of the first
house I bought in the U.S., borrowed money.

Same here but I always honored the penny.

My father did that. When he bought a new car he would open a separate
bank account and put the odd $5 or $10 dollars into the account when
he had a bit extra. Eventually the account would get big enough and
he'd buy a new car.

I wish most "modern" parents were that way as well.

Besides, being conscious about small costs has honed my design skills in
electronics. When I design there is a cost calculator constantly running
in my brain.

Based on what I understand is California minimum salary rates a penny
is a tiny fraction of one minute's salary. 10 x 100=1,000 cents/hour
divided by 60 minutes = 16.6 cents/minute = 3.614 seconds per cent.

If it takes you more than 3.6 seconds to bend over and pick up the
penny than you are losing money :-)

No, no, look at the positive side. I am getting free core muscle
training :-)

Or straining your back picking up the penny :-)

My lower back isn't that great but MTB riding actually helps it by
building up core muscle. Something none of the doctors ever told me.
Most likely they didn't even know such stuff.

Old May 1st 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-30 16:35, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 15:54:35 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-29 16:02, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 07:16:27 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-28 15:07, John B. wrote:

[...]

I've been told that the cheap tires in Thailand all made from a
rubber mix that contains a lot of carbon black, which makes them
harder and they wear less and thus are very well regarded by those who
can't afford to buy tires frequently. Unfortunately hard tires also
"grip the road" less well and have minimal traction.

I do not need Tour de France level cornering performance and found them
to be quite adequate for riding. Especially the MTB tires because there
durability and sturdiness counts a lot more than sqeezing the last tenth
of an mph out of a ride.

On both the road bike and the MTB I want beefy sidewalls and so far
tires made in Thailand gave me that, plus a decent number of miles in
terms of wear.

I really don't understand this fetish with how many miles a bicycle
tire lasts. After all, compared to something like auto tires or egg
beaters they are pretty cheap.

How would you like it if you had to switch out the tires on your car
every 2500mi?

Besides, it ain't cheap:

1. SUV, four tires, $70 each so $280 total, 1st set lasted 70000mi and
still had half the tread. I only replaced them because they were around
15 years old.

2. Gatorskin, $45, lasted 2500mi at which point the tread surface was at
bare minimum.

3. Vittoria Zafiro, $13, 2000mi.

Want more? I trust you can do the math.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I don't remember those Zafiro's as having any armor layer.

They don't and I also ran them almost to the bone. Thanks to
thorn-resistant thick tubes plus a tire liners an armor layer is no
longer required on any of my bikes and I can squeeze out the last mile.

If you are so intent on saving the last penny why not just throw the
bicycle away and save all that money on tires. Walking is a far better
exercise, hour for hour, or mile for mile, than bicycling. Or even
jogging or running. A half marathon on Sundays is good exercise.

P.S. You don't even need shoes. Zola Budd broke the world record in
the women's 5000 meters running barefooted.

I walk our dogs every day, about 2mi. So that's around 700mi/year and I
used to wear out one pair of sports shoes per year. It didn't matter
whether they were $70 name brand of $20 non-name so now I always by
no-name. Good sandals are much better, last years, so I wear those most
of the time. However, walking isn't an option if you have to go
someplace 25-30mi away from here. I wouldn't even be back home for dinner.

Old May 1st 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/1/2019 9:46 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-30 17:28, John B. wrote:
[...]

really?
Those are actual crimes (assault, brandishing). Was a police
report filed? What came of it?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 1st 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-04-28 15:07, John B. wrote:

[...]

[...]

I did a nonstop 50 miles yesterday and almost 5,000 feet of climbing. The roads used to be bad but now they are failing or on the very verge. Riding down from Proctor to the golf course there are potholes everywhere. I had two SOB's in the group that rode by of either side of me so that I could not turn away from the potholes. It this is what the group has become, I will cease riding with the group. They also decided to have coffee at the Clairmont Hotel. Riding DOWN Ashby Ave. to the Clairmont is fine. But coming back up is really dangerous. Ashby turns into Freeway 13 and where you have to turn left the cars are trying to speed up to Freeway speeds. That they would plan a ride like that is not surprising since there seems to be a lack of thinking in that group all around.

So I continued up Tunnel road as they all went down Ashby. I had some Propel in my water bottle and that was my complete sustenance. It was far colder than I was dressed for. The glove on my left hand pinched off circulation until I had to remove the glove. Then it was so cold that the hand wouldn't recover.

Got home and was pulling across the lawn and the tire caught in a groove between the lawn and the pavement and I went down at nearly a dead stop. That REALLY ****ed me off.

But since I did the ride on the Basso, I shouldn't have any trouble completing the Grizzly Peak Century Sunday since it has three rest stops along the way and two of them are really good. Hopefully the roads won't be as bad on that course as yesterday. They will have 76 miles and 6,000 ft of climbing. And since I have some home improvements going in today and have been getting junl out of the way I tripped across a good set of Bolle glasses that I can use. Thank the lord and pass the ammunition. The set I've been using is now scratched to the point that I can barely read the Speedo.

I've tried the cheap Chinese sunglasses and while the lenses are OK they are half the size needed. Or they pull against your eyebrows so that sweat drips across them and blocks your vision. And Oakley's are WAY too expensive. A set of Oakley prescription - $700 here in California.
Old May 1st 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 2019-04-28 15:07, John B. wrote:

[...]

[...]

Bare foot is the think. Sort of a self replenishing thing, the more
you walk the thicker the sole gets. And that isn't a folk story. When
I worked in the remote areas of Indonesia where the people didn't have
shoes I've seen some of our local hire laborers walk around on a steel
barge deck, in the hot sun, with no apparent discomfort.

But having said that let me tell you that nobody who actually walks
for a living, so to speak, wears "sports shoes" they wear "Army
Boots".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 01 May 2019 07:46:35 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2019-04-30 17:28, John B. wrote:
[...]

Seriously? Or perhaps a better question was "what was your buddy doing
to cause some farmer to come roaring out of a shed with a gun"?
"hollering obscenities"?

I used to go "prospecting" up in the mountains along the Yuba Rivers,
not that far from you, and I never had anyone come roaring out of a
shed after me. Of course I didn't go tromping through anyone's cash
crop, leave gates open, or any of the other foolishness that others
might do. And, if I did meet someone I used to stop, introduce myself,
tell them what I was doing "in this God Forsaken place" and even chat
a bit before I moved on.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 2019-04-29 21:49, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:35:23 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

[...]

My Lord! That is almost Un-American. After all God gave the people a
credit it is up to them to use it!

snip
No, no, look at the positive side. I am getting free core muscle
training :-)

Or straining your back picking up the penny :-)

My lower back isn't that great but MTB riding actually helps it by
building up core muscle. Something none of the doctors ever told me.
Most likely they didn't even know such stuff.

Just about anything that exercises a muscle strengthens it. I suspect
that your doctor knew that.

He probably also knew that suggesting that you did bending and
stretching exercises every day was an example of futility on his part
as almost everyone will ignore any suggestion to do anything that
smacks of "work".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2019 4:53 PM, Joerg wrote:

You won't believe how many people in our town still do it, blissfully
unaware that $5/workday times two people is a cost of more than
$200/month. Then they also go to lunch at $10 a pop and there goes
another $400.

Then they "need" $50/mo/person smart phone plans, a $100 cable TV
subscription, $80 for the gym, new cars every 3-4 years and thus
eternally revolving car payments, house mortgaged to the hilt, et
cetera. Typically those are the people who can least afford it. Is it
any wonder that the average American has net zero savings at retirement
age?

FWIW, I've done none of those things; and our retirement is very secure.
And as I've said many times, I don't have a connoisseur mentality.

But I won't ride $15 tires. There are limits.

In fairness the Vittoria Zafiro folks seem to like, personally I never
found a huge difference between the feel of budget but from a known brand
tyres and more expensive ones, for road tyres ie 23/25mm. Though did notice
the amazing lack of grip from Gatorskins!

I do notice the difference with gravel and MTB tyres but road tyres I don’t
or it’s so slight to not be worth it.

I presume that with road tyres it’s the high pressures and the fact that
compounds are fairly high, at least compared Gravel/MTB.

Roger Merriman

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 08:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM