Homeless in Seattle

Old May 1st 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Homeless in Seattle

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 3:57:45 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2019 6:30 PM, wrote:
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 8:00:41 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/29/2019 3:24 AM,
wrote:
On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 9:18:32 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/28/2019 8:45 PM,
wrote:
On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 6:53:19 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/26/2019 6:39 PM,
wrote:

A Google search says there are about 11 million illegal immigrants in the USA. If there are 330 million people in the US, then illegals are about 3.33% of the total. Not very many. And a large majority of the illegals live in just a few large US cities. DFW, Houston, NY, LA, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, DC. There are illegals everywhere in the US, but very, very small numbers everywhere but in these few large cities. So the illegals would take one apartment, house out of every thousand or ten thousand.

I don't know and you don't either but that well worn "11
million" number hasn't changed in twenty years. Recent
estimates are in the 25 to 35 million range. Again I don't
know but I'll bet real money that the number is larger than
the 11 million who were here in 1998.

Believe it or not, this is the first time I ever did a Google search on illegal immigration population in the USA. So yes I don't know how correct or not the number is. But I think my 3.33% of the USA population is probably correct. I know everyone on TV and the internet screams their head off about all the illegal immigrants, or just immigrants. But when I go about my normal day, I don't see any. And I doubt you do either in Madison.. I live in Des Moines. You in Madison. Des Moines is far and away the biggest city in Iowa. Not sure if Madison or Milwaukee is biggest in Wisconsin. So in the biggest or almost biggest cities in the states, I would think we would see a lot of immigrants. Biggest populations, biggest number of immigrants.

25 to 35 million is 7.6% to 10.6% of the 330 million people in the USA. So 1 in 13 to 1 in 10 people in the USA is an immigrant. Seems really high to me. When you go to stores or the park or downtown or to a restaurant or look at workers in shops, do you see 1 in 10 or 1 in 13 looking like an immigrant? I don't when I go around town.

Depends on your neighborhood. Iowa in particular has seen
mass immigration raids in packing plants in recent years
(over both administrations).

Yep, about 11 years ago in Postville, Iowa the immigration agency arrested 400 immigrants at the meat packing plant. Its close to Wisconsin. But every year or two there is an immigration raid somewhere in Iowa.

I found this quote/news story kind of funny. "Postville's Jews flocked to the synagogue in the wake of news that Sholom Rubashkin, former owner of the local meatpacking plant who was imprisoned after a 2008 immigration raid at his kosher food processor, had been released by President Donald Trump." Apparently Trump thinks the boss who hires the illegal immigrants is innocent. But the illegal immigrants should be whipped, jailed, tortured.. Kind of funny, in a sick way.

Well, didn't we hear that Trump's concerns have hired illegal immigrants?

Anyway: By coincidence, I was talking today to a woman who had just
finished interviewing a certain Syrian immigrant - a legal one, I believe.

He's about 50 years old, with a wife and kids. For over 20 years he had
a thriving small business, a nice home, etc. He lost it all in the
conflict, every bit of it. He's here, working in the same general
industry but as little more than a laborer.

He told the local woman that the work his company had done was many
times more intricate than what's being done here, so he's sure he could
do well if only he could get the capital to start his own business. But
since he left behind absolutely everything, he's facing big obstacles.

The woman said she was humbled (and not in the fake sense Oscar winners
use). She said she's used to millenials looking for some easy job that
will satisfy their daydreams and give them a sense of real fulfillment..
This guy just wants a chance to adequately support his family. He's
working and fighting like hell to do that.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, let me guess, you think that Trump reviews and hires every employee at every one of his 200+ businesses.

Nope. But he's at the top of the chain of command for those businesses.
He _could_ make it a strong company policy to never hire anyone who
lacks absolute proof of legality. He could see that message makes its
way down the chain.

And if a lower level manager somehow goofed and hired such a person, he
could probably come up with some very clever way of handling that
situation.

Maybe telling that manager "You're fired"?

--
- Frank Krygowski

One in four people in California is illegal. If you do not hire illegals you do not have a labor force period. It is the same in Florida and along the entire southern border states. Why are you pretending that it is otherwise? What's more, they are the only people willing to actually work.

Jay doesn't see the homeless the same way that most people don't. Most of them are junkies and do not want to work.

Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? Rod Speed Social Issues 0 March 1st 11 05:23 PM
Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? Rod Speed Recumbent Biking 0 March 1st 11 05:23 PM
Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign[_2_] UK 0 February 10th 11 10:38 PM
Homeless in Moab paco Unicycling 2 March 20th 06 06:56 AM
Homeless Singletrack [email protected] Mountain Biking 6 December 29th 04 05:55 PM