Look Keo Pedals

Old May 1st 19, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Look Keo Pedals

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 6:53:16 PM UTC+2, wrote:
For those interested in a light pedal, I have bought and tried the Look Keo Blade pedals.

They are smaller and lighter than the Delta pedals at 230 grams per pair. The spring isn't metal but a carbon fiber plate that seems to work quite well.

The one problem is that they are so light that they do not rotate into the proper position to easily click into them. The low friction of the bearings is almost to high to allow them to rotate reliably. Now perhaps the bearing seals will wear in and allow the pedals to be more reliably rotated so I'll see about that.

I use these pedals for a year now and this still sucks. Since I got Garmin Vector 3 pedals which are Look compatible I had to change the pedals on my other bikes to Look in order to use the same shoes. The Garmin Vector 3 pedal are much better balanced than the Keo blades and much better positioned to clip in.
Comming from Speedplay I am spoiled though.

Lou

Old May 1st 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 1:31:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Holy crap - those are $1,000 pedals with a power meter in them. I would expect them to be owned only by Royalty. I have an aversion to pedals with a battery in them.
Old May 1st 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 4:50:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
For those interested in a light pedal, I have bought and tried the Look Keo Blade pedals.

They are smaller and lighter than the Delta pedals at 230 grams per pair. The spring isn't metal but a carbon fiber plate that seems to work quite well.

The one problem is that they are so light that they do not rotate into the proper position to easily click into them. The low friction of the bearings is almost to high to allow them to rotate reliably. Now perhaps the bearing seals will wear in and allow the pedals to be more reliably rotated so I'll see about that.

The cleats are smaller so if you intend to use pedals like this you should have solid carbon soles on your shoes to prevent getting a hot-foot on long rides.

These smaller cleats are a great deal more difficult to walk on polished surfaces on so be sure when you buy the pedals you also order the rubber walking cleat covers at the same time. My old Delta covers work half-assed but fall off easily so if the Keo covers don't arrive on time you CAN use the old Delta covers for a short while.

My overall perception of these is that I will change over all of my bikes to these pedals. They seem to hold the cleat in more reliably and they click out easier.

OK, I did a nonstop 50 miler today with nearly 5,000 feet of climbing. I was SLOWWWW with just under a 10 mph average. Part of this was because it was almost winter-like weather with wind blowing in your face no matter what direction you turned. And I had only a thin long sleeve jersey and shorts on. The gloves cut off the circulation in my left hand and finally I couldn't shift. I removed the glove and only got partial use of the hand because it was so cold out.

In any case I gave the pedals a very good workout. My impression of them now is even better than it was Sunday.

Because of Jay's comments about the carbon clip spring getting flaccid I bought a rebuild kit to keep on the shelf. As is usual with this, Jay's experience was probably an outlier and I'll have this kit on the shelf forever..

But they are so much easier to clip into than the Delta pedals and they weight a little less @ $100 as the top of the line Delta Looks at twice the price it seems a good idea to replace all of those pedals. Or with my luck the price will double in a week.

Hey, if it sits on the shelf too long, I'll buy it from you for a discount! My pedals weren't that old, and I used my tiny torx wrenches and removed the shoulder and reinstalled the leaf spring. I was still pulling out, and my cleats were new. So screw that. Considering that they sell kits, one has to assume the springs have a limited life span.

I would like a pedal that was better in terms of self-righting for entry, but I'm not willing to change all the pedals in the fleet. I bought into Look, and I'm pretty much stuck.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 2nd 19, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 9:21:55 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that you can buy the leaf spring separate. There are three retailers of Look Pedals in Portland so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.. And that spring has to be really cheap.
Old May 2nd 19, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 1:13:37 AM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

My pedals came with an extra set of leaf springs with a higher unclip torque. The springs mounted are 12 Nm, the extra set 16 Nm.

Lou
Old May 2nd 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 11:31:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The rebuild kit only has 12 nm. They do not appear to sell the leaf springs separately on either Ebay or Amazon so they cannot have troubles very often.
Old May 6th 19, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 01/05/2019 12:21 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Just a followup but I replaced my cleats with the grip pads with the
cleats with no pads and the creaking stopped. I don't think it's the
grip per se. The other cleats have a white silicon looking section
where the cleat contacts the pedal.
Old May 16th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:11:25 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
[...]

With all of this cold and windy weather I've been riding the Basso. This is about 5 lbs heavier than the Colnago. It rides VERY well as does the Colnago and I never have it going through the back of my mind that something may fail.

The brakes are Campy Skeleton brakes and I was standing up over a rough patch and hit the brakes and those damn things are so powerful that for a second I thought that I might go over the front. So there is NO question that these rim brakes are every bit as powerful as disks. They are also more aero..

In any case the Look Keo's really are much better than the older Look Delta pedals. The problem with the Keo blades is that they are so light that they often do not rotate down to a position that is correct for kicking into on a hill. That is a real pain in hilly terrain where you have to stop.

Hey, Jay, when are you going to sell me your set of blades for $25 with the funky spring?
Old May 16th 19, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 9:32:27 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I'm going to fix them when the springs come up as the "daily special" at Western Bikeworks. It will happen one day. Everything odd ball item shows up as the daily special eventually.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 16th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 1:47:11 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Darn, and now I'll have to buy them new.