Biking shorts

Old May 3rd 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Biking shorts

I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy
Old May 3rd 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 3rd 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 02 May 2019 19:39:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would
reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position critique your
stem and saddle positions.

As above.

Nothing wrong with good cycling shorts, which
are a good thing,

Except, some are a waste of money and YMMV, IME all are just a waste of
money.

Old May 3rd 19, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 7:39:41 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

Andy
Old May 3rd 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

See if http://bicyclinglife.com/PracticalCycling/Sore.htm helps.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 3rd 19, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

Andy

My experience has been that soft seats, while initially comfortable
get very uncomfortable after an hour or so. While it is a personal
thing I prefer a firm seat and padded shorts.

Also, do not neglect the friction between the shorts and your skin.
Use a lubricant if necessary. The shorts should fit really tight for
that reason - so the friction is between the shorts and the seat, not
between the shorts and your butt.

Regarding seats. Some shops have a bunch of loaner seats that you can
borrow to try... other folks have a bunch of seats in the garage that
they bought and found that they didn't fit :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 3rd 19, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

See if http://bicyclinglife.com/PracticalCycling/Sore.htm helps.

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks Frank.

I have found that periodically "walking" my bike helps too.

I forgot to mention that I have a mountain bike.

Andy
Old May 4th 19, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

Andy

In practice the saddle should be narrow enough in the front so that your thighs do not rub and just wide enough in the back so that you sit bones are supported and not too much rise in the saddle so that you inside buttocks are lifting you sit bones off of the saddle. This usually takes several tries with different saddles. Now harder saddles are generally better ONCE YOU GET USED TO THEM.
Old May 4th 19, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

The old fashion unsuspended MTB's were pretty awful since your position is pretty upright and most of the weight goes on your bottom. But the suspension of the later models greatly takes the stress off.
Old May 4th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

I try to ride upright because I thought that is better on my back.

Maybe I am mistaken. ?

Andy