Any deals on low end parts?

Old October 17th 04, 04:11 PM
Paul Kossa

Default Any deals on low end parts?

I have an old road frame I'm looking to rebuild. I have most of the
parts I need, but still have to get brake levers (non-STI) and
shifters (downtube or bar-ends, even if they're only friction).
Anyone know where (besides ebay) I can get any good deals?
Old October 17th 04, 04:25 PM
maxo

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:43 -0700, Paul Kossa wrote:

I have an old road frame I'm looking to rebuild. I have most of the parts
I need, but still have to get brake levers (non-STI) and shifters
(downtube or bar-ends, even if they're only friction). Anyone know where
(besides ebay) I can get any good deals?

Ebay really is your best bet for stuff like this, but if you don't want to
go that route, then nashbar.com has a set of nice road aero levers for
around thirty dollars and a set of downtube clicky/friction shifters for
around the same price. Add a cheap compatible derailleur and cassette and
you're indexed. Beware that if your frame is older and you get a new set
of wheels from those folks, that the dropout spacing won't be the
same--easily remedied with a 2x4--worked great for me. LOL

FWIW, I find that if you're going to be sticking to friction that using a
maximum of an eight speed works best with old and new parts.

I'd, of course, cruise the weekend's yard sales and thrift shops first for
a bike to cannibalize.

Old October 18th 04, 05:05 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
maxo wrote:

[...]

A big me-too for the yard sale route. The specific bits you are seeking
are so plentiful and undesired as to be commercially valueless. You can
buy decent quality bike-boom era 10-speeds (and 12-speeds) for $10,
which is about as cheap as working bikes get at garage sales.

That said, these are also parts that are frequently thrown out after an
upgrade to brifteurs. If you ask your local bike shop nicely, they might
have a pair for a song or less.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old October 18th 04, 06:39 AM

Paul Kossa wrote:
I have an old road frame I'm looking to rebuild. I have most of the
parts I need, but still have to get brake levers (non-STI) and
shifters (downtube or bar-ends, even if they're only friction).
Anyone know where (besides ebay) I can get any good deals?

A couple of places to look:

www.gaerlan.com

www.icyclesusa.com

www.chucksbikes.com

and don't forget www.rivendell.com (check out their Silver (brand) dt
friction shifters).....

Old October 19th 04, 03:45 AM
Bikeman.com

Check out http://www.bikeman.com

We offer a complete selection of parts from the most basic parts to
the high end goodies.
Old October 19th 04, 04:55 AM
Dan Daniel

On 18 Oct 2004 19:45:10 -0700, (Bikeman.com) wrote:

Check out
http://www.bikeman.com

We offer a complete selection of parts from the most basic parts to
the high end goodies.

You need a new server. Amazingly slow.
Old October 19th 04, 07:55 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:43 -0700, Paul Kossa wrote:

I have an old road frame I'm looking to rebuild. I have most of the parts
I need, but still have to get brake levers (non-STI) and shifters
(downtube or bar-ends, even if they're only friction). Anyone know where
(besides ebay) I can get any good deals?

I have always gotten my best deals on parts at swap meets/bike flea
markets. Hubs, rims, derailleurs, etc., always available, an if you want
to go for retro (but not "classic"), you can usually get stuff for a song.
Non-STI brake levers are cheap. Even 8-speed Campy Ergo are going for
$20-$40 for levers, and derailleurs for about the same. OTOH, original
Campy seatposts go for $80 at swap meets (I saw this at Trexlertown
this Fall), which is roughly 3 times what they cost new. You have to know
what you are doing, or you will end up paying more than you should for
less than you want. But I have found nice SunTour friction levers (with
the elegant front action I can't remember the name of now).

I don't think complete bikes are such a bargain at swap meets. Nor are
tires, or clothing. You can get great buys on clothing and tires in shops
right now, since they are trying to dump last season's inventory. I just
paid about $100 for two jerseys, a pair of shorts, and two tires at
Performance. But components are the thing to get at swap meets.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.