700c vs 26"

Old October 17th 05, 11:13 PM
Moriarty

Default 700c vs 26"

If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

Old October 17th 05, 11:50 PM
PiledHigher

Moriarty Wrote:
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

Yes those are the 7 metre high wheels that you see out on the road, the
clearance will not let them on many roads so you may not have seen many
of them. They have to stay on the OD truck routes and have a high load
lead and follow vehicle.

See also
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

--
PiledHigher

Old October 18th 05, 02:44 AM
Resound

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres. They're
bigger in diameter than a 26" but slightly smaller than 27" I don't know
what the 700 actually stands for - I initially thought it was the diameter
in millimeters, but that would make it bigger than 27" which they're not.

Old October 18th 05, 10:49 AM
Peter Signorini

"Resound" wrote in message

news

Not according to Sheldon http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#french

They're bigger in diameter than a 26" but slightly smaller than 27" I
don't know what the 700 actually stands for - I initially thought it was
the diameter in millimeters, but that would make it bigger than 27" which
they're not.

The nominal tyre size ie. outside diameter around the tread.

Cheers
Peter

Old October 18th 05, 10:57 AM
Nick Payne

As usual, Sheldon Brown comes to the rescue in explaining tyre sizes:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html. 700c has a bead seat diameter
of 622mm, 26" MTB wheels have a bead seat diameter of 559mm. So for
approximately same width tyres on the wheels, the 559 wheel is about 6cm
smaller diameter.

For a road frame size smaller than about 54cm or so, using smaller 650c or
26" wheels in preference to 700c means the framebuilder has to make less
compromises in fitting the frame and rider around the wheels.

Nick

news

Old October 18th 05, 11:18 AM
Marty

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Resound" wrote in message

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres.

What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers tell us what it
means instead of leaving it up to people like Sheldon to do it for them?
Why do we have to guess? The makers ought to just tell us so we can make
informed decisions.

Marty

Old October 18th 05, 12:24 PM
Bleve

Marty wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:
"Resound" wrote in message

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres.

What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers tell us what it
means instead of leaving it up to people like Sheldon to do it for them?
Why do we have to guess? The makers ought to just tell us so we can make
informed decisions.

What informed choice do you need to make? You buy tyres from your
LBS, they can (should) advise you as to what fits. Do you
really care that 700c wheels have a bead diameter of 622mm? The
tyre will have 622 on it (x whatever width it is). Do you
want each tyre to come with a pamphlet explaining all the sizes?
Car tyres don't, so why would bike tyres?

Old October 18th 05, 12:30 PM
Resound

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message

"Resound" wrote in message

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres.

Not according to Sheldon http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#french

They're bigger in diameter than a 26" but slightly smaller than 27" I
don't know what the 700 actually stands for - I initially thought it was
the diameter in millimeters, but that would make it bigger than 27" which
they're not.

The nominal tyre size ie. outside diameter around the tread.

Cheers
Peter

Oops, ok. My mistake there. I don't know where I got that from.

Old October 18th 05, 12:36 PM
Resound

"Bleve" wrote in message
ups.com...

Marty wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:
"Resound" wrote in message

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news
If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres.

What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers tell us what it
means instead of leaving it up to people like Sheldon to do it for them?
Why do we have to guess? The makers ought to just tell us so we can make
informed decisions.

What informed choice do you need to make? You buy tyres from your
LBS, they can (should) advise you as to what fits. Do you
really care that 700c wheels have a bead diameter of 622mm? The
tyre will have 622 on it (x whatever width it is). Do you
want each tyre to come with a pamphlet explaining all the sizes?
Car tyres don't, so why would bike tyres?

Yeah, but then a car tyre's dimensions are pretty explicit AND consistant.
205/60/15 is 205mm width, 60% of width as treadwall height and goes on a 15"
diameter rim. You don't get 45cm rims. 4WD tyres can depart a bit from that
but they, fittingly, use truck measurements. 26" and 27" wheels made perfect
sense to me, but 700C confused me as well. I'm really still working on a
"they is what they is" basis with them.

Old October 18th 05, 01:39 PM
Marty

Bleve wrote:
Marty wrote:

Peter Signorini wrote:

"Resound" wrote in message

"Moriarty" wrote in message
news

If you'll pardon the question, I'd like to know what the difference is
between a 700c wheel and a 26 inch wheel.
Does 700c mean 700 cm?

The "c" stands for "clincher", that is, not for tubular tyres.

What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers tell us what it
means instead of leaving it up to people like Sheldon to do it for them?
Why do we have to guess? The makers ought to just tell us so we can make
informed decisions.

What informed choice do you need to make? You buy tyres from your
LBS, they can (should) advise you as to what fits. Do you
really care that 700c wheels have a bead diameter of 622mm? The
tyre will have 622 on it (x whatever width it is). Do you
want each tyre to come with a pamphlet explaining all the sizes?
Car tyres don't, so why would bike tyres?

Do you think every town has a LBS? Or even one that is conversant about
tyres?
And what if I see a 700B tyre? What's the difference between a C and a
B? Is the B going to be suitable for my rim? And what does the 700 refer
to anyway? If you measure your rim it's nothing like 700mm. Does it
convert to inches somehow? If I'm swapping my singles wheel with my
clincher wheel how much effect will it have on my speedo?
How the hell do I know if the manufacturers won't tell me!
For a while Velocity were making wrong sized rims and insisting the tyre
manufacturers were making bad tyres. How do we work out who's right?
I just bought a Continental ultra sport that has 700 by 23C written on
it, is that the same as a 700c? Will it have the same diameter as 700 by
25? If the outside diameter is different then why do they call it 700?
These are things I like to know.

Marty

Converting Street to Off-road (700C - 26") [email protected] Techniques 4 September 21st 05 08:17 AM
Strongest 700c Rim? Chalo Techniques 26 August 31st 05 05:22 PM
FS: 700c Touring/Cross/Hybrid Wheelsets Brian Wasson Marketplace 0 December 24th 04 01:11 AM
WTT-NOS 700c MA2 rims for NOS 700c Super Champion 58 rims Bob Taylor Marketplace 1 March 26th 04 04:44 PM
Changing from 27 1-1/4 wheels to 700c Dan Musicant Techniques 1 September 9th 03 11:17 PM