Blockade of King's Cross

Old December 28th 11, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Tom Crispin[_4_]

Default Blockade of King's Cross

Onpassing the following from Bikes Alive ]:

=====================

Dear fellow cyclists

As you will be aware, cyclists and other non-motorised road users
continue to suffer death and injury (not to mention being delayed,
poisoned and terrorised) by the selfish, anti-social (and frequently
illegal) behaviour of motorists.

There is no reason for much of the traffic in urban areas, other than
(in the case of cars) the selfishness of the drivers concerned. The
situation on major roads and at major junctions in London is
exacerbated by the policy of Transport for London, which prioritises
the speed and volume of motor vehicles above the safety and sanity of
everyone else.

Polite meetings and symbolic action are having no effect. We need to
act. The time has surely come for non-motorised road users to
(nonviolently) defend ourselves.

There is a plan (which you might already have seen leaflets about) for
large numbers of cyclists and pedestrians to be at the lethal junction
at Kings Cross (where York Way meets Pentonville Road and Euston Road)
at 6pm on Monday 9 January. According to taste, cyclists can ride very
slowly round the one-way system, or simply not move at all for an
hour. Pedestrians could cross the road very slowly - or simply block
the road completely.

If we succeeded in at least calming - and perhaps stopping - the
traffic for an hour, would TfL finally change their priorities? If
not, we could return for an hour every week until they did. (And then
we could target another dangerous junction...)

For more details of this plan, see bikesalive.wordpress.com; or e-mail
.

SO:

1) Will your group at least publicise this plan to your
members/contacts, whether or not you can officially support it?

2) Will your group publicly announce its support for this action?

3) Are there individuals who would help with the planning and
preparation of the action?

4) Do you have any comments or questions?

Whatever your answer to these four points, if you have any interest in
active resistance to the tyranny of motor vehicles in urban areas,
please respond to this e-mail.

Many thanks. __._,_.___

======================

I would not in any way support the deliberate obstrauction of the
highway at King's Cross. Instead I will choose to make a leisure ride
around the King's Cross gyratory several times at 6pm on Monday 9th
January. I will not be happy if fellow road users obstruct my proposed
journey. I find black cab drivers to be the worst offenders in this
respect. They should be barred from bus/cycle/motorcycle lanes.
Old December 28th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 28/12/2011 01:46, Tom Crispin wrote:
Onpassing the following from Bikes Alive ]:

=====================

Dear fellow cyclists

As you will be aware, cyclists and other non-motorised road users
continue to suffer death and injury (not to mention being delayed,
poisoned and terrorised) by the selfish, anti-social (and frequently
illegal) behaviour of motorists.

Seems like a balanced view of the situation. I assume 'non motorised'
road users will include skateboards, roller blades, space hoppers etc?

There is no reason for much of the traffic in urban areas, other than
(in the case of cars) the selfishness of the drivers concerned. The
situation on major roads and at major junctions in London is
exacerbated by the policy of Transport for London, which prioritises
the speed and volume of motor vehicles above the safety and sanity of
everyone else.

98% v 2%.

Polite meetings and symbolic action are having no effect. We need to
act. The time has surely come for non-motorised road users to
(nonviolently) defend ourselves.

Incitement to cause a criminal act?

There is a plan (which you might already have seen leaflets about) for
large numbers of cyclists and pedestrians to be at the lethal junction
at Kings Cross (where York Way meets Pentonville Road and Euston Road)
at 6pm on Monday 9 January. According to taste, cyclists can ride very
slowly round the one-way system, or simply not move at all for an
hour. Pedestrians could cross the road very slowly - or simply block
the road completely.

Deliberate obstruction of the highway.

[...]

Are the Police aware of this?

They are now, I've e mailed the Met.

University

Old December 28th 11, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:10:48 +0000
Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
Are the Police aware of this?

They are now, I've e mailed the Met.

Pity all they'll do is stand around and watch like they do for every
demonstration and riot. For the met police every noise making minority
spouting on about its "right to demonstrate" has priority over people just
wanting to go about their daily business. Even when said demonstration becomes
a magnet for druggies like the St Pauls squat they do **** all about it
because they're scared about what some dole scrounging "wimmin" activists might
say about them on TV. Can't have that can we, bad PR etc etc.

B2003

Old December 28th 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Paul Clarke

On Dec 28, 1:46*am, Tom Crispin wrote:
[...]

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Old December 28th 11, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:09:22 -0800 (PST), Paul Clarke
wrote:

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Nice example of TRL 549's findings, thanks.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Back in the real world it turns out that more London cyclists are
killed by red light jumping drivers than by jumping red lights
themselves and most serious car v. bike crashes are the driver's
fault.

Apologies for injecting objective fact into your rant, I know it won't
be appreciated.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old December 28th 11, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr Pounder

Those that live in the ****e hole of the south deserve all they get.

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Agreed

Old December 28th 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Nice example of TRL 549's findings, thanks.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Back in the real world it turns out that more London cyclists are
killed by red light jumping drivers than by jumping red lights
themselves and most serious car v. bike crashes are the driver's
fault.

Apologies for injecting objective fact into your rant, I know it won't
be appreciated.

But Paul wasn't talking about fatalities ****wit, he was talking about
self righteous, anti social, law breaking ******s.

Of course cyclists are injured by motorists. Push bikes are a child's toy.

University
Old December 28th 11, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bill

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes
wrote:

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Nice example of TRL 549's findings, thanks.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

An interesting link, I do like one comment on there.

"I can see some justification for requiring insurance for cyclists, but
we already have a situation where large numbers of cyclists, and almost
all frequent cyclists, are insured anyway through clubs or household
policies, so compulsory insurance would impact mainly on the occasional
or leisure rider - precisely the group who, from a public health
standpoint, we as a country can least afford to discourage."

I would suggest that all road users should require insurance, if not
then maybe occasional or leisure users of cars should lobby the
government to remove the need for them to have insurance.
--
Bill
Old December 28th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

In the meantime, the typical self righteous London cyclist will
continue to ride through red lights, across pedestrian crossings
where pedestrians have priority, ride the wrong way down one way
streets, ignore no entry signs, ride on the pavement, weave
dangerously between traffic relying on other road users to get them
out of trouble, etc.

Nice example of TRL 549's findings, thanks.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Back in the real world it turns out that more London cyclists are
killed by red light jumping drivers than by jumping red lights
themselves and most serious car v. bike crashes are the driver's
fault.

Apologies for injecting objective fact into your rant, I know it won't
be appreciated.

Hello Porker - when has *anything* you have spouted been appreciated.

Have you sorted out the dates of your webpages yet - time is running out :-)

Most odd - I didn't see you commenting on Simple's drinking habits. Don't you
think you have a responsibility for him? I think you may have unfairly raised
his hopes and expectations - now it is all turning to rat-**** - it looks like
he has turned to drink.

--

Total number of posts to URC from
IP Address:80.254.146.36 over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence?
(Guy Chapman Dell Magnet)