Belt drive

Old April 12th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
db[_2_]

Default Belt drive

My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

--
Dieter Britz
Old April 12th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/12/2019 10:27 AM, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Why? Same fundamental reason as 1x drive trains, disc brakes, daytime
lights, etc. etc. It's trendy, man! And fashion is weird, unpredictable
and powerful.

IMO, belts might make more sense than the fashion items I listed,
primarily because I think the chain and its maintenance are the ugliest
mechanical issues in bicycling. A super clean drive train (even cleaner
than my wax-lubed chain) would be nice.

But for me, it's not worth the cost of its detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 12th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 14:27:48 -0000 (UTC),
db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is
building. What is good about them? You have to have the exact
length for your bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive to
replace.

they are popular with a certain tandem crowd I've had occasion to
ride with. Interesting idea, but not worth it to me.

So, why?

Because he's a hipster?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old April 13th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

--
Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.
Old April 13th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:07:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

--
Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 13th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 13th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/12/2019 7:27 AM, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Note that you need a special frame to be able to use belt drive, with
the right chainstay being able to separate from the right seatstay.

I saw quite a few belt drive bicycles yesterday at the Sea Otter
Classic. Gates also had a booth there.

I can't see why it would be expensive to replace.

Old April 13th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 3:27:51 PM UTC+1, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

--
Dieter Britz

Theoretically the belt is cleaner. In fact, it is only easier to clean by brushing road dust off it. Until you do brush it down, it transfers dirt to your trousers.

The solution to cleanliness superior to what the belt offers is Hebie's Chainglider, which encloses the entire chain, chainring and sprocket. It is so impervious incoming or outgoing gunk, I run my chains inside one on the factory lube for their entire life, so there's no cleaning required. For a report of my original feasibility study see:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....42349#msg42349
and here you can read passim about the experience of the many other knowledgeable tourers who followed me into the Chainglider:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....42349#msg42349

Andre Jute
Noblesse oblige
Old April 13th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:15:53 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 4/12/2019 10:27 AM, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is building.
What is good about them? You have to have the exact length for your
bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Why? Same fundamental reason as 1x drive trains, disc brakes, daytime
lights, etc. etc. It's trendy, man! And fashion is weird,
unpredictable and powerful.

IMO, belts might make more sense than the fashion items I listed,
primarily because I think the chain and its maintenance are the
ugliest mechanical issues in bicycling. A super clean drive train
(even cleaner than my wax-lubed chain) would be nice.

But for me, it's not worth the cost of its detriments.

Yep, service life and maintenance are the key attractions. For
commuting bikes, not having an oily chain keeps your trousers cleaner.
OTOH, not as efficient as a chain drive and not usable with derailleurs.
The loss of efficiency of a hub gear compared to derailleur systems is
additive, so we won't see pro bike racers on belt-drive Rollhofs anytime
soon.
Old April 13th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

[...]

Wild looking thing:

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone...e-opc-14b.html

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 08:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM