Accessory report: CamelBak stuff.

Old February 9th 04, 05:34 PM
Jonesy

Default Accessory report: CamelBak stuff.

So, I got the brushes and cleaning tabs from CamelBak so that I could
clean the green from the inside of the bladder (the CamelBak's, not
mine, Sorni.)

Brushes worked really well, especially the delivery tube brush.

The cleaning tabs are kinda spendy, and I think a very light bleach
solution would work just as well. Use a little baking soda solution
as an intermediate rinse, then tap water - no bleachy aftertaste.

Lubed the closure O-ring with a little (very little) olive oil.

I have to devise a drying rack for the thing - maybe out of a plastic
hanger, bent properly using a heat source, in three dimensions to hold
the bladder walls apart...
--
Jonesy
Old February 9th 04, 06:33 PM
MattB

Jonesy wrote:
So, I got the brushes and cleaning tabs from CamelBak so that I could
clean the green from the inside of the bladder (the CamelBak's, not
mine, Sorni.)

Brushes worked really well, especially the delivery tube brush.

The cleaning tabs are kinda spendy, and I think a very light bleach
solution would work just as well. Use a little baking soda solution
as an intermediate rinse, then tap water - no bleachy aftertaste.

I just use denture cleaning tablets. Works well and any detectable taste is
fresh n' minty!

Lubed the closure O-ring with a little (very little) olive oil.

I have to devise a drying rack for the thing - maybe out of a plastic
hanger, bent properly using a heat source, in three dimensions to hold
the bladder walls apart...

I just use a coated metal hanger bent just so. Things dry so quickly here
that the lack of humidity cobined with the coating on the metal seems enough
to prevent rust.

Matt

Old February 9th 04, 07:11 PM
BB

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:33:57 -0700, MattB wrote:

I just use a coated metal hanger bent just so. Things dry so quickly here
that the lack of humidity cobined with the coating on the metal seems enough
to prevent rust.

Things take forever to dry here, but a coated metal hanger bent "just so"
works.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 10th 04, 02:38 AM
Mark B

Brushes worked really well, especially the delivery tube brush.

The cleaning tabs are kinda spendy, --
Jonesy

I read that denture cleaning tablets work awesome in camelbak bags.

I heard they clean as good as a bleach/water mixture but don't leave that
nasty bleach taste.

I plan on trying it soon to see if it works.

Mark

Old February 10th 04, 05:11 PM
Jonesy

"Mark B" wrote in message ...

Brushes worked really well, especially the delivery tube brush.

The cleaning tabs are kinda spendy, --
Jonesy

I read that denture cleaning tablets work awesome in camelbak bags.

I heard they clean as good as a bleach/water mixture but don't leave that
nasty bleach taste.

I plan on trying it soon to see if it works.

Sounds like a great idea. Now, I need to find some without the mint
flavor. Maybe lemony? Orange? While bleach is pretty yucky, mint is
right up there too. Unless it's a frosty Southern drink.

Mmmm, ethanol...
--
Jonesy
Old February 11th 04, 04:31 AM
G.T.

Jonesy wrote:
"Mark B" wrote in message ...

Brushes worked really well, especially the delivery tube brush.

The cleaning tabs are kinda spendy, --
Jonesy

I read that denture cleaning tablets work awesome in camelbak bags.

I heard they clean as good as a bleach/water mixture but don't leave that
nasty bleach taste.

I plan on trying it soon to see if it works.

Sounds like a great idea. Now, I need to find some without the mint
flavor. Maybe lemony? Orange? While bleach is pretty yucky, mint is
right up there too. Unless it's a frosty Southern drink.

Algae tastes good and is good for you. I like my bladder green.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
the battles we fought were long and hard,

Old February 11th 04, 05:53 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:15:52 -0800, "Slacker"
wrote:

Can't nasty stuff still grow in the freezer?

Sure, very slowly.

Unless you clean the bladder every so often. Anyone who believes air
drying the bladder keeps ALL nasty stuff out is kidding themselves.
Mold and mildew spores are usually in the same air and water that is
in the bladder as it dries.

I also have chlorinated water, which is pretty dead to begin with. I
come home for a ride, rinse and drain. The frozen bladder is then
refilled before use.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Barry

Race report - first triathlon (long) Chris Durkin General 10 July 16th 04 05:00 PM
Hydration and Camelbak whinds General 8 March 16th 04 01:11 AM
best bike stuff in San Francisco? MontanaBiker General 5 December 6th 03 03:53 AM