Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

Old January 18th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Lee

Default Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?
Old January 18th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Robert Lee wrote:
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

if the head is protruding, you might be able to cut a cross that will
allow a philips to unscrew your bolt; many years ago a truck mechanic
showed me a counter drill bit that had a left hand twist, he said he
used it as an extractor, as you drill in it will bite and unsrcew your
bolt.

Old January 18th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Robert Lee wrote:
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

From the sounds of it (depression in the head) you're describing a

socket head cap screw as opposed to a hex bolt. Either way, I've been
sucessful in the past notching the screw (or bolt) with a very small
dremel cutting wheel, and then unthreading it with a screwdriver. This
depends on the size of the screw, the proximity of the stem it's
recessed in and how concerned you are with a mark in the stem.

Another option is an extracter. It's something of a modified drill bit
that should drill into the screw itself, and then thread it out. I
believe they are reverse thread.

I'd wait & hope for a better idea before going with plan #1, but it can
work in a pinch if you have access to a dremel & not an extracter (a
far less common tool).

Old January 18th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Robert Lee" wrote in message
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

A suitably sized torx bit has been known to work - knock it in and turn. Get
a new bolt afterwards.

cheers,
clive

Old January 18th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Robert Lee wrote:
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

Use a drill that has the same diameter as the threads of the bolt.
Drill straight into the ruined socket carefully until the ruined head
falls off. Once you unscrew the other bolts are remove the face plate,
you can grab it by the exposed part and remove it too.

Joseph

Old January 18th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Piven

Robert Lee wrote:
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt

I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

If you can't quite bring yourself to use power tools on your stripped
out binder bolt, obtain a small amount of epoxy (e.g., J-B Weld) and a
sacrificial hex wrench of the appropriate size, epoxy the wrench into
the bolt, let it dry, etc.
Old January 18th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

I guess you mean it's an Allen socket head. Before you do anything else,
make sure the socket is completely free of dirt. There may be enough of the
socket undamaged at the bottom to get a bite. If there is enough of the
head exposed, snap a pair of Vise-grips on. Also, try the Allen wrench and
Vise-grips together.

As someone else suggested, you can drill into the socket with a drill bit
that is just large enough to release the head when it gets deep enough.
This is hard to do, though, because most Allen bolts are very hard. Once
the head falls off, and there is no tension on the threads, you should be
able to turn the bolt, maybe even with your fingers.

As a last resort, welding a metal cross piece to the top of the bolt should
allow you to turn it.

There is a tool made which allows you to turn the bolt and hammer it at the
same time. This is good because it drives the Allen wrench against the
bottom of the socket, so it is less likely to slip. The impact combined
with torque is better than torque alone.

Old January 18th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D T W .../\\...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/stuckscrews.html

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Old January 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Robert Lee wrote:
Stripped Thread on Hex Bolt
I over-tightened the hex bolt that clamps the stem to the handlebars.
Now the six-sided depression in the head of the bolt has been damaged,
and I can't unscrew the hex bolt. Is there a technique for getting the
hex bolt off under these circumstances?

wrote:
From the sounds of it (depression in the head) you're describing a

socket head cap screw as opposed to a hex bolt. Either way, I've been
sucessful in the past notching the screw (or bolt) with a very small
dremel cutting wheel, and then unthreading it with a screwdriver. This
depends on the size of the screw, the proximity of the stem it's
recessed in and how concerned you are with a mark in the stem.

Another option is an extracter. It's something of a modified drill bit
that should drill into the screw itself, and then thread it out. I
believe they are reverse thread.

I'd wait & hope for a better idea before going with plan #1, but it can
work in a pinch if you have access to a dremel & not an extracter (a
far less common tool).

LOL. Not worth the time.
Instead of a screw extractor, once you have the drill in hand just
remove the head and lift off the stem. If you are going to wreck it
anyway go for the quick process.

Before that, though, try a square-drive allen of the next larger size in
another system (SAE, WW). Smash it into the bolt head with a hammer.
You can often get enough broach to remove the bolt that way.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org