Crazy cyclist video: Colombia

Old April 29th 12, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Crazy cyclist video: Colombia

Interesting video of a cyclist racing down a long bendy road in Colombia.
If he keep riding like this, he won't be around for much longer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d61_1335630738

Old April 29th 12, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default A Ride Down Under

QUOTE:
To sunny Australia, where another assignment (your humble author also covers
travel) auspiciously coincides with the chance to take part in a local
sportive. Except it's not called a sportive, and it's not that sunny either.
What should be a beautiful late summer morning on the surf-kissed beaches of
Victoria is more like an autumn day somewhere near the North Sea.

But no matter. The cold and misty conditions haven't dampened the enthusiasm
of 3500 cyclists gathered here in the little seaside town of Torquay, to the
west of Melbourne, for the start of the 2XU Great Ocean & Otway Classic
Ride.

Win pin on our numbers (but this event doesn't use timing chips) and then
start in waves according to expected completion time. I'm riding with a
couple of local buddies who've put themselves (and me) down to cover the
145km course in around 5 hours. No hanging around then, but hopefully enough
time to take in the scenery.
The first section of the ride takes us inland through the little settlement
of Bellrae then across rolling farmland on dead-straight country roads.
There's no car traffic, as these roads are closed to vehicles for a few
hours as the main waves of riders come through.

In the town of Moriac we turn southwest on the Cape Otway Road.
Unfortunately, we start heading into a chilly wind and a few spots of rain.
Fortunately, we hook up with a crowd from the Eastern Vets cycling club.
Some good-quality group riding (plus some lively conversation) help the
miles pass quickly. Our steady speed means we scoop up other riders battling
into the wind, and at one point we've got a peloton of about 100 cruising
through the landscape.

With about 60km done, a highlight is spotting Phil Anderson passing in the
other direction. A lowlight is a serious downpour that breaks up the big
bunch as riders stop to put on rain jackets.

But the rain doesn't last for long, and soon we reach the town of Deans
Marsh. We're now about halfway round the course, and there's an official
feed station, although the only items available are water, 'lollies' (what
Aussies call sweets) plus Ascend recovery bars and drink - which seems an
odd choice with the finish, and the prospect of recovery, still 70km to go.
But the bars are tasty, and wolfed down by many riders. Others take
advantage of the local roadhouse and go for coffee and cake instead.

http://road.cc/content/feature/57216-ride-down-under

--
Simon Mason

Old April 30th 12, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Interesting video of a cyclist racing down a long bendy road in Colombia.
If he keep riding like this, he won't be around for much longer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d61_1335630738

This is an entertaining video - It is well worth watching.

Old April 30th 12, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
QUOTE:
To sunny Australia, where another assignment (your humble author also
covers
travel) auspiciously coincides with the chance to take part in a local
sportive. Except it's not called a sportive, and it's not that sunny
either.
What should be a beautiful late summer morning on the surf-kissed beaches
of
Victoria is more like an autumn day somewhere near the North Sea.

But no matter. The cold and misty conditions haven't dampened the
enthusiasm
of 3500 cyclists gathered here in the little seaside town of Torquay, to
the
west of Melbourne, for the start of the 2XU Great Ocean & Otway Classic
Ride.

Sounds a bit like the ride I did in London on Saturday, but we had a turnout
of 10000 riders in the cold and drizzle.

--
Simon Mason

Old April 30th 12, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:12:21 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

snip

Sounds a bit like the ride I did in London on Saturday

You did not do the ride on Saturday - you really are a liar.

If you had done the ride then no doubt we would have seen the view from your
cycle.

All your shots are from the pavement.

You are a liar.

The new verb to do a cycle ride : to watch push-bikes from the footpath.

Old April 30th 12, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Apr 29, 11:31*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
Interesting video of a cyclist racing down a long bendy road in Colombia.
If he keep riding like this, he won't be around for much longer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d61_1335630738

I've had a good look at that and he rides very well. Only the first
left-hander could there have been a possibility he could not have seen
that the road was clear ahead, but I reckon this was set up between
the cyclist and the mc-rider and both are in fact experienced cyclists
with good knowledge of that road and that a signal was given to pass.
Old May 1st 12, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/04/2012 21:12, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

But you didn't do the ride you ****** - did you?

Liar, liar, bib shorts on fire.

University
Old May 1st 12, 05:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 30, 9:12*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
[...]

Simon Mason- Hide quoted text -

Just had a look out the window - it looks cold and drizzly again.
A complete change from yesterday's lovely weather.
Still, there is summer to come and this time next month we will be on
holiday.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 1st 12, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

Interesting video of a cyclist racing down a long bendy road in Colombia.
If he keep riding like this, he won't be around for much longer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d61_1335630738

I've had a good look at that and he rides very well. *Only the first
left-hander could there have been a possibility he could not have seen
that the road was clear ahead, but I reckon this was set up between
the cyclist and the mc-rider and both are in fact experienced cyclists
with good knowledge of that road and that a signal was given to pass.

Not to condone anything that isn't legal / safe but it's amazing how
often you can get away moving like that.