Bike Clubs

Old July 30th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

Default Bike Clubs

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
It's Chris wrote:
Anybody here have any "complaints" about the clubs in your area?

Their
preferred type of riding isn't compaatible with yours, they don't

ride
far/fast/slow enough, or enough period, general "lethatargy" and so

on?
Post your gripes, if you have any, about "your" local clubs, I'm
curious.

Why do all the rides start so early in the day?

Down here in Houston our summer rides all start at 7 or 7:30. Getting

off
the bike later than 11 is just like being incinerated in a solar oven.
Having dealt with Melanoma already I try not to fry too much...

7:30 PM would be a more reasonable time to start.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”

Most of the organized summer rides go at 7am in this part of the world.

Some years ago on the way back home from nationals, my daughter and I
stopped in Durham, NC to see my wife's aunt. We did a group ride that
started at 1PM. That was a new and unusual experience for us. It was

kind of
nice to ride in the early afternoon and not have the hair burned off

your
arms.

Do not people work anymore? I could not attend a ride that started later
than 4 AM or before 7 PM.

I believe that was a Saturday ride leaving at 1PM from the bike shop on
Broad Street. It was 10 years ago, coming to think about it.

Bruce

Old July 30th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

"It's Chris" wrote:
Anybody here have any "complaints" about the clubs in your area?

Post your gripes, if you have any, about "your" local clubs, I'm
curious.

I haven't done club riding in a few years, but my main gripes we

- Rides usually start 20-30 minutes past the scheduled "start time."

- Large groups tend to have too much inertia, and also hog the road.

- Rides usually don't stick to the advertised pace.

I enjoy the freedom and solitude of riding solo, and find I'm more
tuned in to the sights and sounds around me.

Art Harris
Old July 30th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_12_]

Do not people work anymore? I could not attend a ride that started later
than 4 AM or before 7 PM.

Cycling is a popular sport with retired people.

Our club has retired people, people who do shift work, cops, flight
attendants, people who work from home...all kinds of people.

Old July 31st 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

It's Chris wrote:
Anybody here have any "complaints" about the clubs in your area? Their
preferred type of riding isn't compaatible with yours, they don't ride
far/fast/slow enough, or enough period, general "lethatargy" and so on?

Post your gripes, if you have any, about "your" local clubs, I'm
curious.

Eh, mostly that I've just never warmed up to the main club (Cascade).
They're not bad people I suppose, I just never felt like most of them
are coming from the same place I am.

Still, there are smaller clubs and enough spontaneous events and
activities that I don't feel like I'm missing much.

--
Dane Buson -
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.