My ultimate cotterless muni cranks

Old June 15th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Default My ultimate cotterless muni cranks

I've recently perfected some uber cranks for my cotterless muni.
'Cotterless uber cranks' (http://tinyurl.com/yq64zr) These are
adapted for the particular uses I'm interested in:

- Double drilled for pedal holes - 150mm and 127mm
- Self extracting crank bolts (remove and fit cranks using only a 6mm
hex key)
- Lightweight alloy to be easily carried when not in use

The drilling / tapping was done by an engineer friend of the LBS. The
job cost £20, but that included modifications to accommodate a calliper
brake on my frame. The self extracting crank bolts were made by
Specialities TA and cost £10 (note: out of a number of pairs, I had one
faulty set which I obtained some Shimano replacement parts for, so the
bolts shown do not use the original TA top washer or dustcap).

The self extractor makes it fairly easy to swap these cranks off
entirely, either before leaving home or whilst out on a ride. I have
several sets of self extracting bolts. Right now I have some 90mm
cranks on my 29er, but I can swap the muni cranks back on using a 6mm
hex key, plus a spanner to move the pedals across.

Overall I'm hoping the ability to change pedal holes, and change to
short length road cranks, will make for an ideal long range muni
machine for rides too difficult or muddy to take the 36er. I'm
particularly pleased with the self extracting bolts, since I didn't
know these were available for tapered axles until I recently saw them
mentioned in a forum post here...

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

awesome!!

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

cool, splinned next?

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Qweld

Do you ever catch your heel or toe with on the end when your set for the
short crank distance??

--
Qweld

Flats blow
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Qweld wrote:
Do you ever catch your heel or toe with on the end when your set for the
short crank distance??

Not whilst riding, so far. Whilst mounting I guess you could, but I
haven't noticed it beyond my usual "sorting out foot position whilst
riding" start With a 150mm / 127mm set up there's actually very
little crank exposed beyond the pedal. That said, it's probably even
more important to tuck your laces in - wouldn't want those getting
caught on the end!

For really short settings I'm using single length 90mm cranks, and
swapping them using the self extraction mechanism, so I can get a
really high speed setting without having loads of excess crank sticking
out.

Old June 16th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Soooo......i suppose you aren't doing any drops too big....

--
hobo_chuck

its not easy being gold!

'$200 KH 29\" mountain uni!' (http://www.lost.eu/53187)
get yours before it's too late!!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

hobo_chuck wrote:
Soooo......i suppose you aren't doing any drops too big....

These are really for distance riding - an XC 29er or a 36" - so big
drops aren't what they get used for anyhow. That said, it's a UDC wide
hub - they're pretty strong so it can probably stand up to decent sized
drops. Fairly few people have actually broken these hubs.

I'll probably get a splined setup at some point but that'll either be
a) a street / trials uni or b) I'd change the 29er to a splined hub if
the wear caused to the tapers by repeated crank changes proves too
much.

Old June 16th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

They look similar to my bike cranks, but those are specialized, and made
from cast steel.

[image:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...?t=1182019353]

I posted it because, these cranks have been ridden by the worst hard
landing biker in my city, my long time friend Nate, it's the only part
on his bike that he -didn't- break... I'm just saying, my cranks are
REALLY strong, and yours are a similar design, but I believe they're
aluminum? Either way, it's a good crank design.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com

Longer cotterless cranks SNES350 Unicycling 5 September 13th 06 11:48 PM
The Ultimate Muni? muzzle Unicycling 0 June 12th 06 10:53 AM
strong cotterless cranks? mornish Unicycling 8 May 28th 06 09:40 PM
Strength of cotterless cranks? skate4flip Unicycling 6 October 25th 05 12:36 AM
Cotterless cranks. . . UNHicyclist Unicycling 4 February 4th 04 06:20 PM