bearing help please

Old October 15th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
spazdude222

Default bearing help please

I have an issue. I've never cleaned my bearings before, and (obviously)
need to. But I'm not sure how to get it all apart. I have an '05 Torker
DX, and would appreciate any help you could offer.

--
spazdude222

spazdude222 wrote:
I think I'm in love with spazdude222

Premature Birth: It's a -growing- crisis
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

spazdude222 wrote:
I have an issue. I've never cleaned my bearings before, and (obviously)
need to. But I'm not sure how to get it all apart. I have an '05 Torker
DX, and would appreciate any help you could offer.

A little maintenance can go a long way. In Terry's case, all in the
wrong direction.

I would strongly suggest avoiding anything you have ever read about
bearing maintenance on this forum ! I have never came across such a
band of fools with such horrid "luck" keeping such a simple
device turning in my life.

I have a dual sport 600 cc 300 lb motorcycle in my garage. It's wheels
are held by an identical pair of bearings as is found on my uni's. It
is 20 years old and has been ridden 26,000 miles , much of it through
mud and water 2 feet deep. Like most of the dozen motor cycles I have
owned in the last 35 years, I have not had to replace the wheel
bearings. I have a 450 lb honda that has 78,000 miles on it. When I
last changed the tires, I checked the bearings by turning them with my
finger. Because they turned smoothly, my "maintenance " was done, and I
reinstalled the wheel. I trust that wheel will go another 10,000 miles
with no trouble.

The reason my bearings last is because I never sprayed them with wd40.
That would penetrate the seal and damage the grease. I also never pry
the seals off, because they were installed correctly at the factory and
I don't want to damage them.

In short, my bearings last because I do not ruin them by screwing them
up. They are designed to be waterproof and go for 100,000 miles at 100
MPH carrying a load of 500 lbs each. And they don't need no stinking
maintenance!

Also, now that Terry has removed his bearings, he should throw them
away. The correct way to install the bearing is to tap only on the
inner race. Most pullers will remove the bearing by hooking the outer
race and pulling it out. This damages the bearing, but that's ok. A
professional wrench never removes a bearing until he is ready to
replace it. He knows that they need no "service", and will pull the
bearing off only because it sticks when turned with a finger. Then he
drives a new bearing on using a tube that allows it to be pushed on by
the inner race.

It is especially important to leave the bearings on a Torker alone.
They are a unique size, and cost 30$ a pair. Most uni bearings are of a
standard size that can be bought from any bearing supply for 2 $ each.
If you want the bearings on your Torker to last 20 years, leave them
alone ! Spray the uni off with a hose. Never blast a pressure washer
at the bearings !

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

feel the light wrote:
[...]

What the hell man? Why are you bashing me? I only removed, cleaned and
repacked my bearings *ONCE* after it fell into a chemical laden
man-made pond! The result was that the bearings once again turned
smoothly after that, and served my needs until i got NEW bearings from
UDC about a week later. I now have a good supply of these bearings for
future use, so I won't have anymore need to take them apart. I would
truly appreciate you not flaming me calling me and others a "fool"!

--
MuniAddict

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
-*"Deathtrap: '35mm cranked coker"*-
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

MuniAddict wrote:
I would truly appreciate you not flaming me calling me and others a
"fool"!

Yeah. We're not fools. We're clowns.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

MuniAddict wrote:
What the hell man?

FTL put together a well-explained post, as opposed to the usual
hit-and-run flame posts we see here, and you take it personal? This
man made a great argument for not maintaining bearings, and not the
common-sense time-is-money argument, and you take it as a personal
attack?

In a way, FTL is right. A lot of users on these forums are backyard
mechanics with little formal training or textbook knowledge of the
subject, and yes, we're lucky that we've avoided screwing up many of
our machines.

When a slip of the screwdriver in inexperienced hands leads to a $1000
screw-up then, yes, it was foolish to pick up the screwdriver in the
first place. Luckily, our mistakes cost much less to fix. You can't
bag on us for trying, FTL, but as you did, you can educate us.

WTH back at you, Terry. This is about bearings, not you. Take a chill
pill.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 16th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maestro8 wrote:
[...]

First of all mind you own business! You always stick your ****ing nose
into **** when it's about me. You take a ****ing chill pill! My posts
were about bearing maintinence too and what worked for me! If that's
ALL his post is about, then don't dis me personally dammit!

Old October 16th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maestro8 wrote:
[...]

First of all Misstro, mind you own business! My post was directed
towards "feelthelight", NOT YOU! He's a big boy and doesn't need YOU to
answer for him! You always stick your f##king nose into **** when it's
about me. You take a f##king chill pill! I'm sick of you man, period.

Old October 16th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Det-riot

MuniAddict wrote:
First of all Misstro, mind you own business! My post was directed
towards "feelthelight", NOT YOU! He's a big boy and doesn't need YOU to
answer for him! You always stick your f##king nose into **** when it's
about me. You take a f##king chill pill! I'm sick of you man, period.
My posts were about bearing maintinence too and what worked for me! If
that's ALL his post is about, then don't dis me personally dammit!

Terry, i usually try to not moderate people, but you need to calm down.
FLT had a diffrance of opinion and you overreacted a little teeny bit,
and someone called you out. Then you EXPLODED, you seem like a
reasonable man. Pop in to MR if you need to rant and be angry, try and
leave it out of RSU

--
Det-riot

Jerrick wrote:
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and unicycles,
and back to creepy horny men.

Into The Blue wrote:
Well personally I've never felt the urge to masturbate in public or
where I work, so that show of self control is pretty much cancelled
out.

'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 16th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Goats_On_Unicycles

Yeah, man...
let's start talking about bearings again and forget this...

I use thick grease and it works wonders for me.

--
Goats_On_Unicycles

i think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.
~jerrick
'MY -GROOVY- GALLERY'
(http://tinyurl.com/yeceup) '*
Unicycle For Goats!!!!!*' (http://tinyurl.com/2vghk6)
'PM me if you want in!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/2hbmhn)
-Homophobia is a social disease.-
Stop bigotry now!
*R.I.P Max Roach*
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 16th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

harper wrote:
Yeah. We're not fools. We're clowns.

I hate you. I really do.

You're a disgrace.

NOTICE:THIS IS DIRECTED ONLY AT HARPER AND HIS COMMENT!

--
hobo_chuck

'' (hello/53187)its not easy being gold!''
(hello/53187)
*FRODO FAILED
BUSH
has the
RING*
http://www.usenet.com

Bearing problem: Stuck/Shifted bearing Evan Byrne Unicycling 26 August 3rd 07 07:01 PM
FTS-L Bearing MarcinK UK 0 June 4th 06 09:19 PM
the bearing casing? unifiend454 Unicycling 3 February 24th 06 01:54 AM
Bearing Help TheoELind Unicycling 10 January 31st 06 05:15 PM
hub bearing pre-load? [email protected] Techniques 26 May 14th 05 09:01 PM