Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

Old April 11th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Erness Wild

Default Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

N8N wrote:
Possibly true, but sitting on the curb side of the car also makes it
more difficult to see the road, especially around curves going in a
curbward direction.

My main objection to that plan is purely selfish; I'm right handed so
shifting with my left hand would take some getting used to.

nate

In our area everything is right hand side of the road way with left
hand vehicle controls, pretty normal. But there's an increase in right
hand drive Japanese cars coming into the country.
I had to laugh the other day when my buddy and I were at the local
donut shop for a coffee. We watched a guy in right hand drive car
backing down the drive through to place his order and pick up a
coffee. Never seen that one before.

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there
Old April 11th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Erness Wild

Phil W Lee wrote:

Don't help.

well that's interesting, how about the water balloon defence?
http://i42.tinypic.com/90zqt1.jpg

Old April 12th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
writes:

Left hand drive on left driving roads? And right hand drive on
right driving roads? Likely more head on collisions due to drivers
not being able to judge where the oncoming vehicle is on the road.
Or judge where your own wheels are traveling relative to the yellow
line.

Interestingly, all Italian commercial vehicles were right hand drive
until about 1980 after which all these trucks seem to have vanished,
being replaced by left hand drive vehicles as the rest of the right
hand traffic countries use. I would like to read about the origin of
this and the reason for the change. I have not seen a right hand
drive truck in Italy in recent years.

Maybe it has to do with the European Union and uniformity for
trade and import/export purposes as well as compatibility
among various European national law systems? That's just a
guess on my part, but the time frame seems to be at least
loosely contempory with the formative period of the EU.

Strange things happen in some countries such as the Swiss dumping the
William Tell crossbow as the "Swiss Made" symbol. Formerly it was
proudly displayed on all products while today it is gone even on
Victor Inox, an archetype Swiss company that formerly used the symbol.

http://www.tell.ch/schweiz/telldenkmal.htm
http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?page=3D0&lang=3DE
http://www.swisslabel.ch/d/

Maybe that's another EU casualty? Too bad, I like the idea of
a lethal weapon as a trade symbol. It portrays ... attitude.

I suppose some sort of stylized bear could do for a Swiss
trade symbol. On the other hand, with the world's economies
faring as they are, maybe that's not such a good idea.
I guess that just leaves skis, perforated cheese or The
Matterhorn -- all of which is preferable to Canada's lame
maple leaf and aquatic rodent.

I like the maple leaf.
I like maple trees.
I like maple wood.
I like maple seeds in the spring.
Maple trees are great.
Did I mention that I like maple syrup?

--
Michael Press
Old April 12th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2009-04-11, Erness Wild wrote:

Phil W Lee wrote:

Don't help.

well that's interesting, how about the water balloon defence?
http://i42.tinypic.com/90zqt1.jpg

Paint, not water.

--

John )
Old April 12th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Michael Press writes:

I suppose some sort of stylized bear could do for a Swiss
trade symbol. On the other hand, with the world's economies
faring as they are, maybe that's not such a good idea.
I guess that just leaves skis, perforated cheese or The
Matterhorn -- all of which is preferable to Canada's lame
maple leaf and aquatic rodent.

I like the maple leaf.

Back in the day it took a Maple Leaf (Dave Keon) to
bring Jean Belliveau down a peg. But I respect 'em
both as all-time Hockey greats.

I like maple trees.

"There unrest in the forest, there is
trouble with the trees ..."

I like maple wood.

The body of my custom-made solid-body guitar
is bird's-eye maple, and the 3-piece neck is
embroidered with tiger-stripe maple.

I like maple seeds in the spring.

It has been my experience that those helicopter things
drop at back-to-school time, in the late spring/early fall.
My route to school was lined on the boulevards with Eastern
maple trees planted by a Great War vet who planted them to
commemorate the fallen. Talk about nostalgia! I recall
that route to school, and regularly encountering this old coot
on the sidewalk with a barrowful of doughnuts for sale; a
paraffinized canvas tarp covered his wares from the weather.
I never had the nickel with which to buy a doughnut, just tokens
for weak-knee'd soup & cocoa in the school lunch room. I think
the old coot was also a Great War vet, 'cuz he never said anything,
nor spoke with anyone.

Maple trees are great.

Douglas firs are ~great~. Maple trees are nice.

Did I mention that I like maple syrup?

Didn't Gordon Lightbulb do a song about that stuff?

Anyways, Canadians "get" the import of maple trees,
but I doubt the rest of the world does.

I bet Australia doesn't use the eucalpytus leaf
as an international trade symbol.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 12th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:
[...]
I suppose some sort of stylized bear could do for a Swiss
trade symbol. On the other hand, with the world's economies
faring as they are, maybe that's not such a good idea.
I guess that just leaves skis, perforated cheese or The
Matterhorn -- all of which is preferable to Canada's lame
maple leaf and aquatic rodent.
I like the maple leaf.
I like maple trees.
I like maple wood.
I like maple seeds in the spring.
Maple trees are great.
Did I mention that I like maple syrup?

Do you like beavers also?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqOI7KejIng

That bites.

Lest there be any doubt, that's an actual TV ad for the most popular*
beer in Canada.

*not my favorite, but not bad. De gustibus et cetera.