If your attention span is shorter even than your dick, this is theversion for you

Old August 25th 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Default Andre Jute needs to wise up

"Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:

| "Andre Jute" wrote in message

| ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Not All, just many

--
Davey Crockett
Old August 25th 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Michael Press

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an

inadequate education.

I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
21st century.

My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
point.

I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write is
too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who reads
books anymore?

[Holds up hand]
I reread Jane Austen.

--
Michael Press
Old August 25th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Opus[_2_]

Default If your attention span is shorter even than your dick, this isthe version for you

On Aug 24, 9:22*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
snip
Here's the irreducible soundbite version:

• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education

Point 1: "Head injury" can encompass anything from a minor scrape to
decapitation.

Point 2: "Involved" does not mean "was the cause of death".

Point 3: Given the small numbers being used in this study (only an
average of ~700 people die riding a bicycle on the roads each year)
small changes in the raw data make for huge changes in percentages.

Point 4: As a survivor of a assault with a motor vehicle I suffered
numerous "head injuries" in the wreck in spite of wearing a high-
quality helmet from a bike shop (not WalMart). The most serious of
those injuries was the diffuse axional damage that has made my speech
difficult and halting with several of the symptoms of early-onset
Alzheimer's (I have lost about 2/3 of my previously formidable
vocabulary, but I still have about 50K words left in the arsenal). The
most visible at the time was the flap of skin that had been attached
to my eyebrow and the bridge of my nose that was hanging loose over my
right eye and cheek. Because of the amount of discomfort I suffered
during the recovery process for this injury I now ride with a full-
face Downhill MTB helmet. Last week I rode to a church function in 105
degree temperatures wearing that helmet. It wasn't fun, but I
survived.

In spite of my experiences while I suggest that wearing a helmet is a
good idea in the US, I am in no way shape or form in favor of a
mandatory helmet law. The problem isn't plastic foam hats but motor
vehicle drivers. As I posted earlier my wreck was an assault, not an
"accident", and I have encountered several drivers in the intervening
years. Make hitting a cyclist or pedestrian a very expensive thing
with stiff fines and prison terms, plus long term loss of licenses for
injury or permanent loss in the case of rider/pedestrian death, and
you will see a much greater improvement in cyclist (and pedestrian)
fatality and injury than making wearing a styrofoam hat law will ever
do.
Old August 25th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

Default André Jute needs to wise up

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 8/24/2010 11:15 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard
working
slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat
of
his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
who work by the sweat of their brow.[...]

It is alleged that Mr. Jute is a "remittance man" and he apparently is
also a author, both as "André Jute" (non-fiction) and "Andrew McCoy"
(fiction).

Anyone who writes both fiction and non-fiction is an idiot. It is one or the
other. Reading such writers is a waste of time. They can never write
anything good in either medium. Besides, who reads fiction except loony
teenagers!

Anyone who makes their living writing garbage is truly a "useless eater".
Andre Jute should get a real job, like trying to feed 12 cats (and more
strays are coming to the house every day). This is a full time job and keeps
me hopping. Hells Bells, who has time to write books, let alone read them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 25th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

[...]
I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write
is
too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who
reads
books anymore?

[Holds up hand]
I reread Jane Austen.

I stopped reading fiction when I turned 30. I could no long identify with
the protagonist. The reading of fiction is primarily a teenager thing. Some
women go on reading fiction forever which is why I have such contempt for
their mental interests.

It is best for a mature adult to read only non-fiction. I think writers who
go on writing fiction all of their lives are severely retarded myself. At
the least, they have never grown up. Kind of sad really.

Old August 25th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

Default Opus tells of an experience with a motorist

"Opus" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

That is quite a story Opus. To be assaulted while on the road on a bicycle
by a motorist with a motor vehicle is attempted murder. I think if maybe
that had happened to me I would see about some retaliation, like maybe
murdering the motorist at a place and time of my choosing. Sometimes I think
we cyclists are too civilized for our own good.

Old August 25th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides

On Aug 25, 11:32*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Michael Press" wrote in message

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

[...]
[...]

Right, fiction and the Bible --fiction as well-- are a waste of time.

Only short funny stories about animals are good.

Old August 25th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Kevan Smith[_2_]

On 8/25/10 1:32 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
I stopped reading fiction when I turned 30. I could no long identify with
the protagonist. The reading of fiction is primarily a teenager thing.

Wow, you sure cut out a lot of great culture. If you want to get back
into it, may I recommend Saramago's novel, "The Cave," which, as the
title suggests, is based on Plato.

k thx bai!

Kevan
Old August 25th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
kolldata

kick Plato
read Salem's Lot or The Tommy Knockers
Plato is simplistic

Old August 25th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 25, 5:04*pm, Opus wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:22*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

snip
Here's the irreducible soundbite version:

• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education

Point 1: "Head injury" can encompass anything from a minor scrape to
decapitation.

That's the problem with soundbite versions tailored to morons like
Liddell Tommi: some important fact always ends up in the cutting room
floor. If you had read the report I referenced, you would know that
this study is about very serious injuries only. Here's the reference
again:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

Point 2: "Involved" does not mean "was the cause of death".

Who said it was? Read the list of injuries included to get an idea of
what "serious" means.

Point 3: Given the small numbers being used in this study (only an
average of ~700 people die riding a bicycle on the roads each year)
small changes in the raw data make for huge changes in percentages.

Even if your argument were relevant to the numbers we're talking
about, so what? Those are still individual people, and if you can't be
bothered to save as few as one, you're a fascist just like Krygowski
and we have nothing further to discuss.

But your objection is irrelevant. This study is the entire universe of
cyclists killed or seriously injured in New York over a period of
years, altogether over 4000 people. If you read the study, instead of
the predigested soundbites for the short-dick squad, you'd know that.

Point 4: As a survivor of a assault with a motor vehicle I suffered
numerous "head injuries" in the wreck in spite of wearing a high-
quality helmet from a bike shop (not WalMart). The most serious of
those injuries was the diffuse axional damage that has made my speech
difficult and halting with several of the symptoms of early-onset
Alzheimer's (I have lost about 2/3 of my previously formidable
vocabulary, but I still have about 50K words left in the arsenal).

Are we perhaps seeing a superfluous zero here? A truly well-educated
person has a vocabulary in the order of five thousand words. 5K, not
50K. 20K would make you a target for the RBT dumber-downers.

The
most visible at the time was the flap of skin that had been attached
to my eyebrow and the bridge of my nose that was hanging loose over my
right eye and cheek. Because of the amount of discomfort I suffered
during the recovery process for this injury I now ride with a full-
face Downhill MTB helmet. Last week I rode to a church function in 105
degree temperatures wearing that helmet. It wasn't fun, but I
survived.

That's a horrendous accident.

In spite of my experiences while I suggest that wearing a helmet is a
good idea in the US, I am in no way shape or form in favor of a
mandatory helmet law.

I'm not promoting a mandatory helmet law, or even helmet wearing, nor
am I expressing an opinion against them. I'm just making sure there
are honest statistics on the table, instead of the lies and
distortions of the Krygowski Krowd.

The problem isn't plastic foam hats but motor
vehicle drivers. As I posted earlier my wreck was an assault, not an
"accident", and I have encountered several drivers in the intervening
years. Make hitting a cyclist or pedestrian a very expensive thing
with stiff fines and prison terms, plus long term loss of licenses for
injury or permanent loss in the case of rider/pedestrian death, and
you will see a much greater improvement in cyclist (and pedestrian)
fatality and injury than making wearing a styrofoam hat law will ever
do.

I live in Europe. I'm absolutely with you on this. The culture has to
change first, then helmets become surplus to requirement except for
speed merchants and offroaders.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar