ride faster!

Old October 21st 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default ride faster!

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 10/20/2019 3:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I do have more skill than that bicyclist. I also have more sense
than to ride across the path of a multi-ton vehicle that the driver
of may not see me. then again, I have more sense than to ride on a
sidewalk and in the opposite direction of street traffic.

If I had been riding like that bicyclist was and I saw that ruck
start to move I would have stood on the pedals and accelerated away
from the truck not wave my arm and then put my foot down whilst
still in front of the truck. He's really lucky he wasn't seriously
hurt of=r killed. I do hope he learned from his experience.

He may have learned from the experience, but I think it's also likely
that he's blamed only the truck driver and done so loud and
long. Cyclists like that are 100% convinced that they know exactly
what they're doing.

They're similar to salmon (wrong way) cyclists. They "know" they are
right and you are wrong. I even had one salmon rider get so mad at me
for telling him not to ride against traffic that he turned around and
tried to chase me down to fight me.

(That's hard to do on a 20" stunt bike. I easily stayed just in front
of him, slowing when necessary to keep him baited. It was kind of
funny.)

At that point, I take it he was riding on the right side of the road?
Old October 21st 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2019 10:32 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Yep. I don't know typical gearing on those 20" bikes with axle pegs and
low seats, but he was spinning furiously and yelling at me to stop and
fight. It was weird and funny.

I usually say something (briefly) to wrong-way riders. The reactions
have varied, from quick obscenities through total silence to "My mom
told me to ride here" to grudgingly changing sides, all the way to
actual apologies.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2019 8:45 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

Am 18.10.2019 um 01:20 schrieb Tom Kunich:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 12:21:23 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

The biggest danger of providing a "proposedly safe" lane that is in
fact extremely dangerous lies in suggesting it is safe; people
using it don't think of the danger because they trust the highway
authority to have provided a good facility.

On the way tp the Altemonte Pass on Sunday, I was trying to find a
street since that area has been grossly overbuilt since the last time
I was there. It appeared that you couldn't turn on the street I
wanted because it was also the exit from the freeway so I took the
sidewalk directly past a gas station EXACTLY like the one where that
man was hit. On the sidewalk or on the street the bicycle has right
of way over ANYONE leaving a gas station in every state as far as I
know.

Using a sidewalk against the flow of traffic is 10 times more dangerous
as using the road with the traffic even where it is officially allowed
(same publication from the 1980's as for using bike lines on sidewalks
on the correct side).

Gas station exits are the most dangerous parts of sidepath riding, be it
an official bike lane or not (no numbers for this).

At this location https://goo.gl/maps/hPpDf5t3CqSTjwbH7, I have
personally witnessed three or four car-bike collisions where cars
crashed into bicycles at walking speeds (no injuries, never called the
police).

There are some 2,000 bicycles per day using this bike path.Â* When I
taught my daughter the bike route to the city center, I showed her
"mum's route" using that bike lane and "dad's route" avoiding this gas
station by going on the road rather than the contraflow path on the
sidewalk.
Then I explained to her why I thought my route was less dangerous
despite being on the road, and 10 minutes later on the way home, there
was a car ramming thy cyclist immediately in front of us ;-(
My daughter still perfers "mum's route".

I think some of our "bike advocates" would say it's because the pavement
warning paint is the wrong color. You use red. Over here they call for
green paint.

Apparently, green paint is magic! Slap a little down and it cures all
sorts of crazy designs!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 11:30:06 AM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
John B. wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 05:52:15 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 20:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, 20 October 2019 23:08:37 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 21:46:21 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I realize that it is a bit off topic (but only a little bit) but why
"salmon cyclists"? After all the salmon. swimming, are going the right
way. Of course after they spawn West Coast salmon usually die and
float down the river... the wrong way :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Probably because the "salmon bicyclist" is going against the flow. Just
like salmon swimming against the flow.

Cheers

Maybe. I've been outside the States so long I probably wouldn't be
able to talk to people if I did go back :-)

But thinking about the salmon, against the flow is the right way, and
with the flow is, one might say, the wrong way and a salmon going the
wrong way would be a dying salmon and a Salmon going against the flow
would be all frisky and full of beans. A salmon going with the flow
would probably get eaten by a bear :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

All migrating salmon are dying, and a awful lot of salmon going against the
flow of the water are eaten by bears.

Ah, but they don't die until they get there and do their business :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Unless the bears eat them first.

We have salmon in the river, and a salmon ladder below my house:
http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/Andre%20Jute%20Bandon%20River%20NY's%20Day%202019% 20800pxh.jpg
The salmon ladder is on the left, and on the right our hydro-electric power hut, for lighting up the churches and the main drag at Christmas.

No bears, and the fishermen catch and release.

Andre Jute
Not paid by the tourist board
Old October 21st 19, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

In the PNW, we have salmon MUPs. https://www.longwaitforisabella.com/...-Reach-Dam.jpg Somewhat closer to home: http://www.orazio.it/wp-content/uplo...ay-Dam-USA.jpg (looks like something from the '36 Berlin fish olympics). Bonneville has a nice window where you can watch the salmon go buy -- along with the nasty lampreys. http://bluefish.org/Bonneville_Fish_Viewing.jpg Part of The Bonneville ladder: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RSRBui3uwGo/maxresdefault.jpg

I sometimes stop there when riding that side of the Gorge. The indians sell salmon at Bridge of the Gods on the way home. http://getboulder.com/wp-content/upl...-too-small.jpg Put that in your jersey pocket.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 21st 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

No, all migratory salmon are not dying. But they are in general at lower levels than they were in the 1800's.. It appears that they were overfished and they were put on the Endangered Species list and they appear to be making strong comebacks. The real problem is that hydroelectric damns pretty much bars them from all of the major rivers and so they must be netted at the entries to these rivers and transported to the headwaters to spawn. The fry do not seem to have any problems with the dams or fish ladders on the way out. The numbers of spawning salmon have been increasing since the late 1990's.
Old October 21st 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:27:28 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 10:52:17 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:

All migrating salmon are dying, and a awful lot of salmon going against the
flow of the water are eaten by bears.

No, all migratory salmon are not dying. But they are in general at lower levels than they were in the 1800's.. It appears that they were overfished and they were put on the Endangered Species list and they appear to be making strong comebacks. The real problem is that hydroelectric damns pretty much bars them from all of the major rivers and so they must be netted at the entries to these rivers and transported to the headwaters to spawn. The fry do not seem to have any problems with the dams or fish ladders on the way out. The numbers of spawning salmon have been increasing since the late 1990's.

That's good news, Tom. We had a period here when the fishing boats of the EU "partners", especially Spain, overfished the waters in front of the estuaries so meticulously that you could count the single salmon that made it through to spawn one by one, where previously the river was silver with them.

Andre Jute
Hell, at one stage I was hand-feeding a pair of pike in the hope they would breed, there were so few fish in the river
Old October 21st 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2019 2:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Your domm3n5w qgou5 bidydl3 facilities is rather hilarious...

The lad needs a spittle-proof keyboard! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 19, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 21.10.2019 um 18:04 schrieb Frank Krygowski:

I think some of our "bike advocates" would say it's because the pavement
warning paint is the wrong color. You use red. Over here they call for
green paint.

Apparently, green paint is magic! Slap a little down and it cures all
sorts of crazy designs!

Oh yes, a good state-by-state variation is one one further advantage of
bike facilites. Sometime the bike lane is marked red and the bike
roadsigns are green, sometime the bike lanes are marked green and the
bike roadsigns are red so you gain valuable new experiences every few miles.

Old October 22nd 19, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/22/2019 4:08 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 21.10.2019 um 18:04 schrieb Frank Krygowski:

I think some of our "bike advocates" would say it's because the
pavement warning paint is the wrong color. You use red. Over here they
call for green paint.

Apparently, green paint is magic! Slap a little down and it cures all
sorts of crazy designs!

Oh yes, a good state-by-state variation is one one further advantage of
bike facilites.Â* Sometime the bike lane is marked red and the bike
roadsigns are green, sometime the bike lanes are marked green and the
bike roadsigns are red so you gain valuable new experiences every few
miles.

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Here's how to ride bike better stronger faster Kevan Smith[_2_] General 1 August 4th 10 12:49 PM
Pedestrians made to walk faster so that cars can go faster. Doug[_3_] UK 91 March 17th 09 09:37 AM
Ride 10% faster! ZBicyclist General 9 July 13th 08 12:18 AM
How to ride faster? [email protected] General 38 May 25th 05 02:36 AM
Do you go faster in a bunch ride Timmy_wilson Australia 5 January 31st 05 03:25 AM