Batech Soft Wheels

Old October 19th 19, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Cooper[_2_]

Default Batech Soft Wheels

Any experience with this type of “internal suspension” wheel?

https://batec-mobility.com/en/produc...heel-ow-wheels
Old October 19th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 2:43:46 PM UTC-4, Robert Cooper wrote:
Any experience with this type of “internal suspension” wheel?

https://batec-mobility.com/en/produc...heel-ow-wheels

No experience here. But I remember reading the biography of Major Taylor written
by Ritchie. After Taylor's retirement from racing, he tried several different
business ventures. One was marketing a somewhat similar sprung wheel for cars.
It went nowhere, and he died broke.

Extra weight, slack in pivoting joints, probably no reduction in unsprung weight,
etc. I'll be very surprised if it's an improvement.

But I tend to be skeptical of whiz-bang bike inventions.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/19/2019 4:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 2:43:46 PM UTC-4, Robert Cooper wrote:
Any experience with this type of “internal suspension” wheel?

https://batec-mobility.com/en/produc...heel-ow-wheels

No experience here. But I remember reading the biography of Major Taylor written
by Ritchie. After Taylor's retirement from racing, he tried several different
business ventures. One was marketing a somewhat similar sprung wheel for cars.
It went nowhere, and he died broke.

Extra weight, slack in pivoting joints, probably no reduction in unsprung weight,
etc. I'll be very surprised if it's an improvement.

But I tend to be skeptical of whiz-bang bike inventions.

- Frank Krygowski

Indeed. Tensioned spoke bicycle wheels are among the most
formidable strength/weight things humans make. I remember
when a Montgomery Young[1] front race wheel was tested by
some English industrial association to something like 1/2
tons static load[2] without deformation which garnered a lot
of cycle industry press fawning[3].

[1] A man legendary for many skills at Condor, London
[2] Your average putz can break any wheel with normal
impact, which is a different test.
[3] Outside of cyclists, no one cares about bicycles or
bicycle wheels.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

C-Record headset & wheels, other Campy wheels, XT/Mavic mtb wheels,Cannondale frame... zip27514 Marketplace 0 July 2nd 08 05:24 AM
what are they, soft? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 17 May 31st 07 07:22 AM
Soft cranks? Dieter Britz Techniques 4 May 24th 07 11:40 PM
If soft seats are not good, why have soft shorts? wle Techniques 22 May 24th 06 07:35 PM
When did the Trek 720 get soft? bryanska General 9 August 21st 05 01:02 AM