A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Single Speed Recumbent?!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 21st 19, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,354
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC
Ads
  #2  
Old October 21st 19, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,145
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 08:38:59 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC



Well a couple of comments recommended them, or would that be
discommended them :-) Slow, can't go up hills the front drive wheel
will lose traction on a 5%+ incline, but stable.
--
cheers,

John B.

  #3  
Old October 21st 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,400
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:39:03 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC


It's a recumbent-shaped object (RSO). A tricycle with one wheel at the front is inherently unstable. A proper tricycle has two wheels at the front and one at the rear.

Nor does it appear to be a proper bike for a geriatric. A gerry doesn't want to sit low and stretched out because it is an awkward position to get into and almost impossible to get up from again. In addition, anyone who thinks a fixie, directly geared to a wheel, is a bike for a gerry even on the flat, is by definition either a moron or a snake oil salesman.

No, I think someone built this bike down to a price, and then discovered there's no market for it, and is now blowing smoke in all directions.

Andre Jute
Ergonomics become more important as one grows older
  #4  
Old October 21st 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,775
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On 10/21/2019 2:54 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 08:38:59 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC



Well a couple of comments recommended them, or would that be
discommended them :-) Slow, can't go up hills the front drive wheel
will lose traction on a 5%+ incline, but stable.


I wonder about the "stable" part. Rear wheel steering isn't usually stable.

And even with a low center of gravity, I can envision someone
overcooking a tight downhill turn, hitting the brakes and toppling
forward and outside. That's a hazard with "delta" trikes.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #5  
Old October 21st 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,864
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On 10/21/2019 10:25 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:39:03 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC


It's a recumbent-shaped object (RSO). A tricycle with one wheel at the front is inherently unstable. A proper tricycle has two wheels at the front and one at the rear.

Nor does it appear to be a proper bike for a geriatric. A gerry doesn't want to sit low and stretched out because it is an awkward position to get into and almost impossible to get up from again. In addition, anyone who thinks a fixie, directly geared to a wheel, is a bike for a gerry even on the flat, is by definition either a moron or a snake oil salesman.

No, I think someone built this bike down to a price, and then discovered there's no market for it, and is now blowing smoke in all directions.

Andre Jute
Ergonomics become more important as one grows older


Was there a fixed gear option? I didn't see that.
Specs say "freewheel hub".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #6  
Old October 21st 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,400
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 4:58:18 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/21/2019 10:25 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:39:03 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC


It's a recumbent-shaped object (RSO). A tricycle with one wheel at the front is inherently unstable. A proper tricycle has two wheels at the front and one at the rear.

Nor does it appear to be a proper bike for a geriatric. A gerry doesn't want to sit low and stretched out because it is an awkward position to get into and almost impossible to get up from again. In addition, anyone who thinks a fixie, directly geared to a wheel, is a bike for a gerry even on the flat, is by definition either a moron or a snake oil salesman.

No, I think someone built this bike down to a price, and then discovered there's no market for it, and is now blowing smoke in all directions.

Andre Jute
Ergonomics become more important as one grows older


Was there a fixed gear option? I didn't see that.
Specs say "freewheel hub".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


Thanks for the correction, Andrew. -- AJ
  #7  
Old October 21st 19, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,354
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On 21/10/2019 17:58, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/21/2019 10:25 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:39:03 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC


It's a recumbent-shaped object (RSO). A tricycle with one wheel at
the front is inherently unstable. A proper tricycle has two wheels
at the front and one at the rear.

Nor does it appear to be a proper bike for a geriatric. A gerry
doesn't want to sit low and stretched out because it is an awkward
position to get into and almost impossible to get up from again.
In addition, anyone who thinks a fixie, directly geared to a wheel,
is a bike for a gerry even on the flat, is by definition either a
moron or a snake oil salesman.

No, I think someone built this bike down to a price, and then
discovered there's no market for it, and is now blowing smoke in
all directions.

Andre Jute Ergonomics become more important as one grows older


Was there a fixed gear option? I didn't see that. Specs say
"freewheel hub".


Mea Culpa. Otoh, it might improve the braking :-)


  #8  
Old October 22nd 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 569
Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

On 10/20/2019 11:38 PM, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

****https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC


I think the title (on the amazon page) says it all: "Beach Cruiser
Trike". I've seen similar things rented at beaches/boardwalks,
apparently for non-cyclists who want to play with the thing. Let 'em.

Mark J.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tandem speed vs. single-rider speed? [email protected][_2_] General 5 March 16th 10 04:09 PM
three speed to single speed conversion [email protected] Techniques 2 June 30th 06 01:30 PM
FS: Fixed gear single speed one speed tee shirts NICE DESIGNS Peter Moore Marketplace 0 May 7th 05 03:45 PM
Single speed recumbent Danny Colyer UK 11 November 14th 04 04:53 PM
Seven speed cassette single speed conversion Me UK 2 July 28th 04 03:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.