29er suspension fork, disk brake, and dropouts?

Old February 20th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 29er suspension fork, disk brake, and dropouts?

I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old February 20th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:27:56 -0500, dvt wrote:

I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

How much travel do you want? I haven't seen a 29er fork with a through
axle (yet - they will surely come) but if you can sacrifice some
travel a good suspension shop should be able to shorten the travel on
a Marzocchi Shiver SC by an inch or so (you might want to hunt for the
old 120mm travel model) to avoid tyre/fork crown interference, and
with no brake arch you don't have that problem to contend with It
should be as simple as adding a solid spacer under the bottom-out
bumper, although I've never had my fork apart to see exactly how easy
this would be.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old February 20th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dvt wrote:
I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

fear of the statistically irrelevant is irrational. if you have any
worries at all about standard dropouts, use a closed cam skewer and a
serrated face axle. and don't file off the lawyer lips.
Old February 21st 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"dvt" wrote in message
I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and a
suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts that
most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would meet
these specs?

This is an inflammatory post, so please disregard it, but do you wear a
helmet in your car?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 21st 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jim beam wrote:

dvt wrote:

I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

fear of the statistically irrelevant is irrational. if you have any
worries at all about standard dropouts, use a closed cam skewer and a
serrated face axle. and don't file off the lawyer lips.

You know, even if you are unconcerned with wheel pullout, it is
annoying when you have chronic disc rub issues because hard application
of the brakes causes the axle to shift in the fork dropouts. I've had
this problem with my 8" front disc brake on two different forks, and
while it can be coped with, it seems like a needless thing to have to
tolerate considering the solution is so simple.

Chalo

Old February 21st 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dvt wrote:
I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

As a matter of fact, I spoke with Answer/Manitou, Marzocchi
and Rock Shox about that only this morning.

None offer 700C shock forks for 2006. Answer is linked in
some way to some oem-only forks. No simple answer to your
quest. We suggested our customer use a handmade fork and a
wider tire.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 21st 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil Lee, Squid-in-Training wrote:
"dvt" wrote in message
I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and a
suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts that
most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would meet
these specs?

This is an inflammatory post, so please disregard it...

What is wrong with long, on-topic discussions? So what if they get a
bit heated - that is what makes it interesting.

--
Tom Sherman

Old February 21st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A Muzi wrote:
dvt wrote:
I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes
and a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing
dropouts that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork
that would meet these specs?

As a matter of fact, I spoke with Answer/Manitou, Marzocchi and Rock
Shox about that only this morning.

None offer 700C shock forks for 2006. Answer is linked in some way to
some oem-only forks. No simple answer to your quest. We suggested our
customer use a handmade fork and a wider tire.

Thanks for the answers, Andy and K. Cowboy. To Phil and jb, no thanks.

Andy, I think I misunderstand your note. I'm pretty sure that Rock Shox
is making one or two 700c suspension forks this year, but both have
downward facing dropouts. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean to say
that Rock Shox is discontinuing the 700c forks such as the Reba?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old February 21st 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:27:56 -0500, dvt wrote:

I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

How much travel do you want?

I suppose 80-100 mm. I've never had suspension, but I'm interested in a
cross-country style bike, and most of them come with 80-100 mm travel.

I haven't seen a 29er fork with a through
axle (yet - they will surely come) but if you can sacrifice some
travel a good suspension shop should be able to shorten the travel on
a Marzocchi Shiver SC by an inch or so (you might want to hunt for the
old 120mm travel model) to avoid tyre/fork crown interference, and
with no brake arch you don't have that problem to contend with It
should be as simple as adding a solid spacer under the bottom-out
bumper, although I've never had my fork apart to see exactly how easy
this would be.

Interesting idea. So the keys to making this work are 1) ability to
sacrifice 20-40 mm travel, 2) no brake arch, and 3) a way to reduce the
travel. Of course, the other features are still important (disk tabs and
secure wheel attachment).

The answers lead me to believe that anything I put together will be
completely custom. That is, I can't buy an entire bike with the features
I want. In that case, the price may be higher than I'm willing to pay.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old February 21st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:

dvt wrote:

I'm interested in a 29er (622 mm rim) mountain bike with disk brakes and
a suspension fork. But I'd like to avoid the downward facing dropouts
that most of the forks seem to have. Do you know of a fork that would
meet these specs?

fear of the statistically irrelevant is irrational. if you have any
worries at all about standard dropouts, use a closed cam skewer and a
serrated face axle. and don't file off the lawyer lips.

You know, even if you are unconcerned with wheel pullout, it is
annoying when you have chronic disc rub issues because hard application
of the brakes causes the axle to shift in the fork dropouts. I've had
this problem with my 8" front disc brake on two different forks, and
while it can be coped with, it seems like a needless thing to have to
tolerate considering the solution is so simple.

Chalo

so how come that neither i nor about 20 disk mtb riding buddies who i
know well enough for them to let me mess with their bikes, have ever
seen or heard of this problem? [some of them are pretty hardcore riders
too.] i'm not denying you've had issues with your machine, [you often
report things the rest of us have never encountered], but seriously,
where's the beef? there are hundreds of lurkers on rbt, so are they
just too lurk to report?