Mixed Emotions

Old May 4th 09, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default Mixed Emotions

'You're not the only one... with mixed emotions...'

Went for a two hour ride yesterday.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788806

Not too bad. Temp was about a high of 17C or so with a 20kmh wind out of
the West Northwest. As that was my outbound direction I was going uphill and
up wind on the outbound leg but mostly down and down coming back.

The mixed emotions? Several SUV's pass with bikes loaded on. Now I try not
to get to high in my saddle and moralize but it still irks me a little. Not
just carrying bike on autos but SUV's. Even the oil companies have come to
accept the facts of climate change.

Oh well, it was still a pleasant ride.

Old May 4th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On May 4, 5:51*am, "recycled" wrote:
*'You're not the only one... with mixed emotions...'

*Went for a two hour ride yesterday.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788806

*Not too bad. Temp was about a high of 17C or so with a 20kmh wind out of
the West Northwest. As that was my outbound direction I was going uphill and
up wind on the outbound leg but mostly down and down coming back.

*The mixed emotions? Several SUV's pass with bikes loaded on. Now I try not
to get to high in my saddle and moralize

I'm not entirely sure that you succeeded ;-)

Old May 4th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"recycled" writes:

'You're not the only one... with mixed emotions...'

Went for a two hour ride yesterday.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788806

Not too bad. Temp was about a high of 17C or so with a 20kmh wind out of
the West Northwest. As that was my outbound direction I was going uphill and
up wind on the outbound leg but mostly down and down coming back.

The mixed emotions? Several SUV's pass with bikes loaded on. Now I try not
to get to high in my saddle and moralize but it still irks me a little. Not

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just carrying bike on autos but SUV's. Even the oil companies have come to
accept the facts of climate change.

Oh well, it was still a pleasant ride.

On Saturday, I was resting in a park near a popular
bike route. I observed a woman pushing a stroller,
with a couple of toddlers in tow, crossing the street.
The driver of an approaching car dutifully and sociably
stopped to let the pedestrians across.

Then a hell-bent-for-leather cyclist came juggernauting
up from behind the car, and passed it on its right side,
narrowly missing the group of pedestrians.

I think my heart stopped for a moment. I infer the rider
simply saw the the stopped car as an obstacle to get around,
and didn't consider that maybe it was stopped for a reason.

So, today's sermon is: "don't pass on the right." ;-)

Where the heck is Tom Sherman these days?
I hope he's okay.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 5th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom_Sherman

Tom Keats wrote:
[...]
Where the heck is Tom Sherman these days?
I hope he's okay.

Who?

The traffic has been low here on RBM, so most of my recent posts have
been on RBT.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old May 5th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom_Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
[...]
Where the heck is Tom Sherman these days?
I hope he's okay.

Who?

The traffic has been low here on RBM, so most of my recent posts have
been on RBT.

You were conspicuous by your absence, and
I'm such a worry wart.

It's good to hear from you again.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 5th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Rathmann

On May 4, 4:51*am, "recycled" wrote:
*'You're not the only one... with mixed emotions...'

*Went for a two hour ride yesterday.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788806

*Not too bad. Temp was about a high of 17C or so with a 20kmh wind out of
the West Northwest. As that was my outbound direction I was going uphill and
up wind on the outbound leg but mostly down and down coming back.

*The mixed emotions? Several SUV's pass with bikes loaded on. Now I try not
to get to high in my saddle and moralize but it still irks me a little. Not
just carrying bike on autos but SUV's.

Not surprising. When my brother, who lives in Germany, came over to
visit us in Arizona in the mid-70s he commented that he had never seen
so many bicycles being carried on cars - nor so few bikes being ridden.
Old May 11th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Guilty as charged. Well, not quite as bad, I drive a 4-Cyl Ford Ranger
and get up to 30 MPG.

But in response to your observation of carrying a bike in the bed of my
truck, many of the places I like to ride, especially up in the Blue
Ridge are simply too far away to ride to. Over a hundred miles in some
cases.

Should I forgo the pleasure of enjoying these placed in a "green" manner
simply because they would be otherwise inaccessable?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Mixed reception? --D-y Racing 0 December 5th 08 02:54 PM
'mixed drinks' flyingdutch Australia 8 November 27th 06 03:10 AM
Mixed races? Steve Juniper Rides 2 December 13th 04 03:45 AM
mixed derailleurs Libuser General 6 August 29th 04 04:47 AM
A mixed mode mixed bag Just zis Guy, you know? UK 10 October 2nd 03 04:33 PM