Official pedal cyclist road deaths in 2016 ex DOT/NHTSA/FARS(Fatality Analysis Reporting System)

Old October 3rd 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Official pedal cyclist road deaths in 2016 ex DOT/NHTSA/FARS(Fatality Analysis Reporting System)

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 5:28:49 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 6:35:47 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/3/2018 12:08 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 11:36:56 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

P.S Fish genes are of no value as that water that is going to flood the
eastern USA is so full of microplastic you'll starve to death with a
full stomach of it. Karma is a bitch.

Microplastic? China turning to "renewable" power? Explain all this to us
- what is your credentials for making scientific prognostications?

The end result of all that plastic crap that ends up in to ocean is
smaller and smaller bits of plastic. There is no such quality as bio-
degradable. Iit turned out to be faster break down. End result is
basically major patches in the oceans turing into plastic soup.

The micro sized bits of plastic is being ingested into various marine
species where in many cases, it lodges and starves them to death. In the
same way that all foodstuffs now have varying levels of mercury, cadium
etc, you can look forward to future food stuffs coming with a percentage
of 'plastic'. I hope you don't prefer seafood.

Ohferchrissake, try to keep up:

https://www.iflscience.com/environme...p-into-oceans/

Much like the Gulf bacteria and biota which dissipated and
converted the oil:

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/inve...il-after-spill

https://ocean.si.edu/ecosystems/deep...gulf-oil-spill

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Where ever you have energy you will have lifeforms evolving to use that energy. This is the capital reason that we have do damn much natural gas.

I like the microbes that evolved in the "safe, predator-free" beyond-boiling hot water in volcanic fissures off actively erupting volcanoes on Hawian islands. They make a fine example of adaptability against the charge of "global warming".

***
For Andrew Muzi, who asked about vineyards now under ice in Greenland:

An archeologist, whose parents I knew, worked on a dig in Greenland. She made a point of telling me that my statement that "there were grapes grown in the Medieval Warm Period in Greenland" is incomplete. Apparently Greenland was farmed as far back as the Roman Warm Period through the Medieval Warm Period until the Little Ice Age (started in Elizabethan times and lasted until about 1850; the other two periods are eponymously self-explanatory) drove out the colony of settlers. So we're looking at a place now under ice that was once farmed for a millennium and a half, give or take a couple of hundred years.

The point of Greenland is that there were many exceptionally warm periods (much warmer than today) well before coal-fired generating stations and diesel trucks started belching CO2. The Little Ice Age brackets the start of the Industrial Revolution, when there were plenty of coal-fired smelters absolutely belching smoke for a hundred years or more -- and all round the earth froze.

That is what made Mann's now disgraced hockey stick so important: it flattened the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age, and made mickey mouse natural temperature fluctuations in the late twentieth century, even in so far as they weren't artifacts of crooked or incompetent or misleading statistical legerdemain, seem hew-juge. This is very, very important, because while the MWP and the LIA stand, there can be no question of manmade global warming, which is why the snouts in the scare-story of global warming so fiercely defended the incompetent crook Michael Mann and his lying hockey-stick.

So now, with the MWP and LIA reinstated to central importance in any global temperature narrative, the Catastrophe Industry is instead talking about "Sudden Climate Change, Up or Down". In short, they're trying to bring back the already discredited (in the 70s; I helped to put them down as crooks, liars and incompetents) New Ice Age story.

The NIA is actually more likely than global warming, in that we are known to live in one of the perfectly natural short warm interstices between global ice ages. But, even so, the next ice age is a thousands of years away, not hundreds, so the Sudden Climate Change, Up or Down clowns are on a hiding to nothing because there is literally nothing we can do about it.

One more datum point: in the 1970s the Frozen Earth clowns (including James Hansen, the father of global warming) screeched that we urgently needed to heat up the oceans "to save ourselves". It would have cost trillions -- and imagine what would have happened to the earth if we had added all that heat. That would have been real manmade global warming! It's a really good reason for treating these morons with the utmost skepticism and disdain when they say exactly the opposite of what they said before they turned on a tickey to claim the opposite.

Andre Jute
Rational, informed, pointed
Old October 3rd 18, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/3/2018 12:58 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Small quibble: I had not read about grapes in Greenland
(although that's not ridiculous).

I did read in Science News about farmed fields with stone
borders under the retreating Greenland glaciers. And I often
note that Hadrian's North Britannia garrisons paid for their
keep with exports of iron nails and wine.

I read Al Gore's book so I'm still waiting for the 2010
deluge of major coastal cities and world famine from
climate-driven crop failures:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-since-1990/

Old October 3rd 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 8:11:21 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Nobody's arguing that viniculture was the main Greenland activity. They were an awfully long way from their mother country, modern Denmark, by sail or oar, so they had to be self-supporting. But I like the vines as a particularly vivid illustration.

I did read in Science News about farmed fields with stone
borders under the retreating Greenland glaciers.

I took a group of international economic historians to the Gap of Dunloe near Killarney, ostensibly for exercise, but I wanted to demonstrate something so vividly that they would never in their lives forget it. They were lined up on this road down which we were walking. One said of several stone-marked squares of about forty paces by forty paces up a rocky slope, on which the foundations of small cottages could be seen, "Why didn't they build their village nearer the fields they farmed?" -- a sensible question for an economist. I explained, "Those are the fields they farmed, outlined by the stones. Each family of twelve to sixteen souls had to feed itself year-round off that field." I didn't have to say that famine followed logically. As we walked on, into the Gap, to where I'd arranged from jaunty-carts to pick us up, I walked with a mate who in turn had with him two agricultural history economists (from Minnesota, I seem to remember), who worked out that each person could eat one very small potato per day for about forty weeks...

And I often
note that Hadrian's North Britannia garrisons paid for their
keep with exports of iron nails and wine.

There are still vineyards in Britain, though one wonders how much sun those grapes get. But in our time they tend to cluster well south.

I read Al Gore's book so I'm still waiting for the 2010
deluge of major coastal cities and world famine from
climate-driven crop failures:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-since-1990/

If you're waiting for a prediction from Fat Al to come true, you'll have to wait considerably more than a decade. I lurved his film though, where at one point he has this huge graph projected on the wall behind him, which he claims demonstrates that CO2 rises are inevitably followed by temperature rises -- but actually the graph shows that the temperature rises first, and then CO2 rises about 800 years later. And to think Americans nearly made that idiot president of their country. Not one of the carefully selected brainless berks in his audience objected to being lied to, and journalists were not admitted.

Andre Jute
There, but for a hanging chad, goes the world
Old October 4th 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 09:17:19 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 10:08:42 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
[...]

My God, do you read the same crap as my brother? That the world is flat
and that the Moon Landing never occurred and was shot on a sound stage
in Hollywood?

Lol, once again you can argue your point without mis-representation and
exageratiopn.

Stay within your F-ing realm of understanding. There are BACTERIA that
eat plastic waste.

Yes, in a laboratory, in miniscule numbers, and only for certain plastic.
The globe will be yards deep in plastic before before they will be a
significant life form.

Tell us all about these "marine species" that are
dying out because of "plastic lodging" in their digestive tracts
apparently?

Again, another misrepresentation and exageration in a desperate attempt
to argue some point. The word was dieing from and not species extinction.

https://phys.org/news/2016-03-newly-...c-bottles.html

Since one species of bacteria presently consume polyethylene
terephthalate there will soon be hundreds of subspecies in every single
environment on Earth and not long after that they will be forced to
return to glass bottles.

Perhaps you should stop believing the "science" in movies and stick to
real movies. Evolution is an important concept, but except in
virtualisation, it is consistently found to be unable to meet natural
demands.

Read ALL of the environmentalist whacko crap you want but don't expect
educated people to give you the time of day.

I live in hope that you may actuall read and comprehend what you claim to
read. Perhaps a bit beyound the headlines for a start.

Old October 4th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 08:35:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

https://www.iflscience.com/environme...g-eat-plastic-

dump-into-oceans/

Perhaps you should read that again. Even that article says the claim is
yet to be verified and urged caution. Given how little we have explored
the oceans, especially the depths, a claim that rare bacteria are
responsible for the "disappearance' of plastic is on very shaky grounds.

Much like the Gulf bacteria and biota which dissipated and converted the
oil:

No, "oil' has been around for millenia far longer than Homo sapiens have
infested the earth. So the bacteria that feed off it are nothing new, but
given the amount of oil spread around the globe, their numbers have
ballooned compared to ancient times.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/inve...sh-break-down-

oil-after-spill

https://ocean.si.edu/ecosystems/deep...eled-food-web-

after-gulf-oil-spill

Same old story, just basic food web dynamics where a pulse in the feed of
one organism usually creates a pulse in the predators for that species.

Old October 4th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 09:28:48 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

Where ever you have energy you will have lifeforms evolving to use that
energy.

Agreed.

This is the capital reason that we have do damn much natural
gas.

Explain please. Surely you're not sayng these microbes came up with the
released methane. Although the Russians might agree with you as they
calim we have infinite oil reserves.

Old October 4th 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/3/2018 8:15 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 09:28:48 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

Where ever you have energy you will have lifeforms evolving to use that
energy.

Agreed.

This is the capital reason that we have do damn much natural
gas.

Explain please. Surely you're not sayng these microbes came up with the
released methane. Although the Russians might agree with you as they
calim we have infinite oil reserves.

I don't know from methane but there is no compelling
explanation about what makes oil. At best we have some
theories (likely some conversion of organic plant material)
but proof is elusive so I can't say they are wrong.

https://www.livescience.com/9404-mys...upply-oil.html

https://www.equities.com/news/where-...ally-come-from

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oi...ssil-Fuel.html

Old October 4th 18, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

news18 wrote:
[...]

You just need to go scuba diving to know that plastic isn’t disappearing
from the oceans.

Much like the Gulf bacteria and biota which dissipated and converted the
oil:

No, "oil' has been around for millenia far longer than Homo sapiens have
infested the earth. So the bacteria that feed off it are nothing new, but
given the amount of oil spread around the globe, their numbers have
ballooned compared to ancient times.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/inve...sh-break-down-

oil-after-spill

https://ocean.si.edu/ecosystems/deep...eled-food-web-

after-gulf-oil-spill

Same old story, just basic food web dynamics where a pulse in the feed of
one organism usually creates a pulse in the predators for that species.

You just have to look at the dead sea life and birds washing up on the
beaches after a spill.

--
duane
Old October 4th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/3/2018 9:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I remember reading about abiotic oil theories. In Sweden, they tried to
drill for such stuff - IIRC, drilling deep through hard rock. According
to this article, they eventually got 84 barrels.

https://www.forbes.com/2008/11/13/ab...l#7b4efacd3f9e

"Skeptics say that while traces of abiotic hydrocarbons may exist,
little data support the idea of economically meaningful deposits.
"Companies have been looking for oil for 100 years. If all this
abiogenic stuff is there, why haven't they found it?" asks geochemist
Geoffrey Glasby, who spent nine months investigating the matter for a
2006 review paper in Resource Geology. He concluded the totality of the
evidence did not support the concept."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 8th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 9:18:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/3/2018 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I think your attitude is a bit overoptimistic. Even if some bacteria can
break down plastics, and even if some jellyfish help ameliorate oil
spills, that doesn't mean ocean plastic or oil spills are benign. It
depends heavily on the rate of amelioration vs. the rate of pollutant
injection.

From your first link: "We perhaps shouldn’t rely on these bacteria too
heavily, though ... we are still dumping a horrific amount of plastic
into the oceans at present. Although recycling has its place, things
arguably won’t change until plastic is phased out in favor of
bioplastic, the type that quickly breaks down in any environment after
it has been used."

And from your second link: "Water perturbation and mucus production from
jellyfish won’t clean up oil or stop it from reaching shorelines after a
spill. And jellyfish certainly aren’t immune to oil. (Another study
found the adults of some species are tolerant of oil, while others are
not.)"

For an admittedly extreme analogy: If some passengers on the Titanic had
started bailing water using their teacups, it might have helped to some
small degree. Someone might have been able to write an article saying
"Teacup bailing proven to slow sinking." But it wouldn't have saved that
ship.

--
- Frank Krygowski

You're correct that it isn't benign. But it merely means that we have to be careful that we do not spill oil nor discard any amount of plastic that cannot break down faster than the discards.

Furthermore it is important to know that laws aren't the thing to solve these problems but knowledge.

i.e. there is no "floating island of plastic". This is a 1 mm particle of plastic per cubic meter of seawater. This as usual has been misrepresented. The area is the dead spot between ocean currents called "The North Pacific Convergent Zone". We do the same thing with radioactive waste - we haul it more than 20 miles offshore and dump it. The waste is stuff that is JUST measurable. Such as building sites where they made watches and clocks with glow-in-the-dark dials. Yes, this is now referred to as dangerous despite people wearing them on their wrists and no types of Cancer never being blamed on it.

The pictures of large patches of plastic garbage are from the Southeastern Asian habit of hauling large barges of garbage out to sea before dumping it.. Then some Greenpeacer takes a picture of it and represents that as the "floating island of plastic".