Rode my bike today.

Old March 13th 05, 05:51 PM
Not Responding

Default Rode my bike today.

Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

I'd planned to go out today but my boss came round with some work stuff
to discuss (on a /Sunday/? Ye gods).

Got out at 1600 and just rode hell for leather on a 10k loop from home.
As I'm tend towards being a long distance bimbler when recreational
cycling, this was a bit of a new experience for me. Great fun even if it
didn't last long.
Old March 13th 05, 06:32 PM
Pete Biggs

Not Responding wrote:
Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

Even less this month for me but I did 15 miles today - on heavy old
tourer, with luggage, with 60 to 70% leg power (combined). Can't wait to
get my lightweight road bike all fixed up so I can do more miles for less
effort. However, I won't be able to carry my walking stick in case I get
stuck :-o

~PB

Old March 13th 05, 06:43 PM
garryb

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:51:19 +0000, Not Responding
wrote:

Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

You and me too. I really don't enjoy cycling that much when the
weather's really crap. Can't be arsed. I know when I'm enjoying
something and when I'm pretending to. So I went down the pub instead
:-)

But have you seen the temps for next week? Crazy. Might be up for the
odd night ride this week. My favourite hour to ride a bike.

Garry

Old March 13th 05, 07:17 PM
Monkey Hanger

wrote:

Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

You and me too. I really don't enjoy cycling that much when the
weather's really crap. Can't be arsed. I know when I'm enjoying
something and when I'm pretending to. So I went down the pub instead
:-)

Hasn't been too wet round here the last week. The only thing that stopped me
doing a lot of miles was a lack of gears. I was stuck in the highest gear.
Not ideal with undulating countryside. Monday was the first time I've been
defeated by a "hill" in ages. Essenden never seemed that bad when I had
more gearing options...

But have you seen the temps for next week? Crazy. Might be up for the
odd night ride this week. My favourite hour to ride a bike.

I reckon I'll have a go at a couple of night rides this week. I'm on the
late shift so a 10pm run from Stevenage down to North London is called for.
I'll be taking the scenic route, not that I'll see much scenery at that
hour.

--
Chris
Old March 13th 05, 07:45 PM
Pete Biggs

I wrote:
Not Responding wrote:
Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

Even less this month for me but I did 15 miles today

Hold on, I must have done more than 40 miles. It's going better than I
thought!

~PB

Old March 13th 05, 07:52 PM
Simon Proven

Pete Biggs wrote:
I wrote:

Not Responding wrote:

Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

Even less this month for me but I did 15 miles today

Hold on, I must have done more than 40 miles. It's going better than I
thought!

~PB

I've had a slow start to this year, too. I've probably only done
about 250 miles so far in '05 (148 on the Birdy, and I think over
100 on the Galaxy). However, the Birdy clocked up a decent 17 miles
on Friday and tomorrow it will do close to 20. Plus I will be
playing a 5-a-side game at 7pm.

I want to beat last year's 4300-odd mile total, so will need to
up the pace rather.

Simon
Old March 13th 05, 07:54 PM
Jon Senior

Not Responding wrote:
Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

More due to lack of time[1], but I've been running at about 20 miles /
week for the last month. It could be worse, but it's not great for
building up the distance (Or shedding the post-christmas excess!).

I'd planned to go out today but my boss came round with some work stuff
to discuss (on a /Sunday/? Ye gods).

[1]

Got out at 1600 and just rode hell for leather on a 10k loop from home.
As I'm tend towards being a long distance bimbler when recreational
cycling, this was a bit of a new experience for me. Great fun even if it
didn't last long.

Just been for a run though. Only a few miles, but run at a slightly
higher pace than was comfortable. Feeling strangely better for it! :-)

Jon

[1] Rebuild of the bent has stalled. Version 2 will not be ready for
Easter, but I might remake the seat mounts for version 1.5 (Never seen
tarmac!) so that the seat is straight and secure, and take that.

The rest of my time has been spent single-stepping through some code in
an attempt to work around a "version" problem in Java. If anyone wants
an ObjectStream parser then, aside from needing to get out more, they
should drop me an email!
Old March 13th 05, 08:09 PM
Not Responding

wrote:

Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

You and me too. I really don't enjoy cycling that much when the
weather's really crap. Can't be arsed. I know when I'm enjoying
something and when I'm pretending to. So I went down the pub instead
:-)

But have you seen the temps for next week? Crazy. Might be up for the
odd night ride this week. My favourite hour to ride a bike.

Crumbs, Metcheck is forecasting next Friday at 19 degrees C! A bit of
wind as well. Shame the boat's having major stuff done to her or I'd be
getting my first sail of the year.
Old March 13th 05, 11:00 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Pete Biggs" typed

Not Responding wrote:
Not radical news for a cycling newsgroup, I'll admit. But with the
weather so foul for the past few weeks and me such a wuss, I've only
clocked up 40 miles this month.

Even less this month for me but I did 15 miles today - on heavy old
tourer, with luggage, with 60 to 70% leg power (combined). Can't wait to
get my lightweight road bike all fixed up so I can do more miles for less
effort. However, I won't be able to carry my walking stick in case I get
stuck :-o

Do you want to borrow my fold-up walking stick? ;-)
I don't use it much...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 13th 05, 11:09 PM
David Nutter

On 2005-03-13, Not Responding wrote:

Got out at 1600 and just rode hell for leather on a 10k loop from home.
As I'm tend towards being a long distance bimbler when recreational
cycling, this was a bit of a new experience for me. Great fun even if it
didn't last long.

For some reason I woke up at the crack of dawn with that "I'll never get
back to sleep now" feeling. Since the day was glorious, I rode out to
Scampton in the hope of seeing something excitingly military before
breakfast but only saw some rabbits sunning themselves. However, amongst the
things I didn't see were cars. Bonus.

Due to a rotted piece of wire in the lighting system on my tourer (revenge
of the road salt), I couldn't cycle out to the conservation task in the
Wolds I was going on later in the day. It was such a nice day for it too,
though my regrets were somewhat assuaged by the free beer that was available.

Regards,

-david

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM