rigid fork - geometry changes

Old April 28th 05, 10:06 PM
Pepi

Default rigid fork - geometry changes

I'm converting my old MTB to city/road bike.
Since I don't realy need a suspension fork, I was thinking
of puting a rigid fork on the bike, but I'm concerned with how
it would affect the geometry, ie bike handling.
The original sus fork has 63mm of travel, and i cannot find
any "suspension corrected" rigid forks around here, so
i'm stuck with normal ("non-sus-corrected") ones.
I know this would steepen the angles a bit and make the bike
steer faster, but will it be too twitchy?

If it helps, the bike is a '01 Trek 810.

--
Pepi
Old April 28th 05, 10:25 PM
Wasatch5k

Pepi wrote:
I'm converting my old MTB to city/road bike.
Since I don't realy need a suspension fork, I was thinking
of puting a rigid fork on the bike, but I'm concerned with how
it would affect the geometry, ie bike handling.
The original sus fork has 63mm of travel, and i cannot find
any "suspension corrected" rigid forks around here, so
i'm stuck with normal ("non-sus-corrected") ones.
I know this would steepen the angles a bit and make the bike
steer faster, but will it be too twitchy?

If it helps, the bike is a '01 Trek 810.

--
Pepi

You could try here -

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPFKMTNR

Maybe not, your IP looks to be in Croatia....

--

Let the bridges I burn light my way...
Old April 29th 05, 12:38 AM

ask at flea markets
i swapped a male fork for a female fork lookin like 1/8" more trail and
had a 50% reduction in twitch on sand skim over pavement

Old April 29th 05, 05:05 PM

yeah further-adaptor kits are available to place threaded into
unthreaded and ...
speak with harris yellow jersey -or biketoolsect if that becomes your
next problem.
even 27" seem to be around-trek may have a one piece fork that goes
into a 27" after filing off the 700cc fork's top bottom.

Old April 29th 05, 05:07 PM

further duh-the idea is that an entire bike-with the correct
fork-needing a headset-see biketoolsect.com
can be bought for $25 with fork plus off course

Old April 29th 05, 07:05 PM
Pepi

Wasatch5k wrote...

Maybe not, your IP looks to be in Croatia....

bingo ;-))

pepi
Old April 30th 05, 03:28 AM
Ed Cory

Pepi wrote:
Since I don't realy need a suspension fork, I was thinking
of puting a rigid fork on the bike, but I'm concerned with how
it would affect the geometry, ie bike handling.
The original sus fork has 63mm of travel, and i cannot find
any "suspension corrected" rigid forks around here, so
i'm stuck with normal ("non-sus-corrected") ones.
I know this would steepen the angles a bit and make the bike
steer faster, but will it be too twitchy?

Consider installing spacers between crown and crown race
to "suspension correct" your rigid fork. The ones normally
used above the headset are cheap and should do fine.

The steerer will see slightly more bending than it would
have so I'd want to stick with steel.

I'd undercorrect a bit so that its a little more lively
than your MTB geometry. Also remember that your weight
normally compresses the suspension a bit (don't just
measure with no load on the suspension-fork).

Ed