Continental Ultra Race, any good?

Old April 20th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike DeMicco

Default Continental Ultra Race, any good?

They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out (although
the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been replaced by the
Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire. It's made in
Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and seems to have a
lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and can
offer a comparison?

--
Mike DeMicco
Old April 20th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 19, 6:24 pm, Mike DeMicco
wrote:
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000.

My internet shows that it's still available. Stock up!
Old April 20th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike

"Mike DeMicco" wrote in message
. 1.4...
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out (although
the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been replaced by the
Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire. It's made in
Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and seems to have a
lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and
can
offer a comparison?

--
Mike DeMicco

I can't give you a comparison, but am in the same hunt. Have used Ultra
2000s for a long time and don't see them as much now. The current ones I
have have about 500 miles on them and one has surface cracks the whole
circumference after storage this winter. Are the dealers that are selling
them getting rid of old stock or are they still being made.
Are the Grand Prix tires that much better to justify the price diff?

Mike

Old April 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Mike DeMicco wrote:
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out (although
the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been replaced by the
Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire. It's made in
Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and seems to have a
lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and can
offer a comparison?

maybe this is a good time to try a different brand?
Old April 20th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
Mike DeMicco wrote:
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out
(although the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been
replaced by the Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire.
It's made in Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and
seems to have a lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and
can offer a comparison?

maybe this is a good time to try a different brand?

So do you have a suggestion or just an opinion?
Mike

Old April 20th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Mike wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
Mike DeMicco wrote:
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out
(although the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been
replaced by the Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire.
It's made in Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and
seems to have a lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and
can offer a comparison?

maybe this is a good time to try a different brand?

So do you have a suggestion or just an opinion?
Mike

i have lots of suggestions. what is your most favored criteria? price?
puncture resistance? rolling resistance? any preconceptions that
bias your opinion - threadcount for instance?

Old April 22nd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]

Mike DeMicco wrote:
They no longer make my favorite tire, the Continental Ultra 2000. I get
phenominal mileage out of these tires before the tread wears out (although
the sidewalls are a bit fragile). They seem to have been replaced by the
Ultra Race, which appears to be a totally different tire. It's made in
Thailand (instead of Germany). The casing is different and seems to have a
lower thread count, but has a kevlar belt.

Has anyone put some miles on both the Ultra Race and the Ultra 2000 and can
offer a comparison?

Get Michelin Krylion Carbons instead. Mileage should be about equal to
Conti's GP2000. Rolling restistance and grip is superior.

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

"Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
or two in a month, what's the point of living?"