Muni suggestions Plzzzz

Old December 19th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Default Muni suggestions Plzzzz

Yobiker;1153091 wrote:
sounds like a 26in is the way to go. Whats the biggest width tire that
will fit in the new nimbus 26in frame??

There's plenty of clearance with a Duro Leopard 3". I've not tried
mine with any other 3" tyres - I think the Gazzaloddi may be a little
bit bigger than the Duro. In really sticky mud I've used a normal 1.9"
xc bike tyre to prevent clogging, but in normal conditions the Duro has
enough space.

That's on the normal new Nimbus muni rim (which I believe is 42mm
wide). If you use a Large Marge you may get clearance problems. I
don't reckon an Endomorph tyre would fit (but they're pretty nasty to
ride anyway from what I've read here).

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old December 20th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Yobiker;1152512 wrote:
I really wish Kris Holm would make a 26in uni!

I wouldn't bother too much about the 24 vs 26 difference. Put cranks on
a 24" that are one notch shorter and it is about as fast as the 26" with
the 'original' crank length.

As someone said, a 24" is slightly better for technical stuff than a
26". Remarkably, you can diminish that slightly better ability in a 24"
by said shorter cranks.

So in short (pun not intended): put one notch shorter cranks on a 24"
and you have a very similar machine to a 26", for both pros and cons.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 20th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Klaas Bil;1153675 wrote:
I wouldn't bother too much about the 24 vs 26 difference. Put cranks on
a 24" that are one notch shorter and it is about as fast as the 26" with
the 'original' crank length.

As someone said, a 24" is slightly better for technical stuff than a
26". Remarkably, you can diminish that slightly better ability in a 24"
by said shorter cranks.

So in short (pun not intended): put one notch shorter cranks on a 24"
and you have a very similar machine to a 26", for both pros and cons.

I don't think that's really true. Shorter cranks don't actually give
you a higher gear - a bigger wheel does. Short cranks make it easier to
spin faster, but it's not as nice as a bigger wheel where you can
actually go faster _without_ spinning faster. OK, so the difference
between 24 and 26 isn't massive, but it's noticeable. And a bigger
wheel rolls better.
That's my opinion anyway.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old December 20th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Yobiker

i like the fact that the 26in will roll over stuff easier and will have
a better rim and tire selection.
Its kinda like the difference between my 26in mountain bike and my 29er
mountain bike. the 29er rolls faster and smoother.

--
Yobiker
Old December 20th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

I'm considering getting a 26" just to have something different to ride
and a loaner available to tempt others onto rides w/ me.

A 26 does roll over bumps better, but a 24 w/ shorter cranks is a bit
more manuverable than a 26 at low and high speeds, which becomes a
problem at speed in 2nd gear w/ the geared hub, according to KH.

The budget tech XC uni may be a 26, but if $ isn't an option or you
plan to get the geared hub in the future, a 24 is better w/ that hub in
most situations according to Kris & if you want more speed put on
shorter cranks.

Didn't Beau Hoover win the uphill Muni climb w/ 125's on his 24?

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'