Trip Report: Cambridge to Milwaukee - 1994

Old September 15th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

Default Trip Report: Cambridge to Milwaukee - 1994

BOSTON TO MILWAUKEE

Following 25th yr Reunion - Harvard Law School

4/27 - 5/7, 1994

Flight to Boston

YX 207, Wed. - 4/27/94

Local Bike Rides

Wed. (Milwaukee) 35 miles

Thurs. (Boston area) 31 miles

Fri. ibid. 34 miles

Sat. - 12 miles in Boston area before long ride began

Arrived in Boston 6:45, Wed. at beginning of a thunderstorm. Got to hotel,
ate nothing much and put bike together, but not very well (see below).

Thurs. 4/28 a.m. - a.m. bike ride

Had to reverse saddlebags so they didn't hit my feet. Had to reverse front
wheel and adjust cable so speedometer would work. Had to tighten front
brake.

My wife, Mary Ann (who consented to fly back to Milwaukee alone after the
reunion, while I bicycled back with a classmate, Collins Fitzpatrick, of
Chicago) and I spent the day downtown, doing the Redline tour with extra
stops at the USS Constitution and related things at Fanueil Hall - Quincy
market, etc. After the tour we went to Harvard and registered for the
reunion.

Fri. - 4/29

We went to 2 first year - Civil Procedure and Contracts (not taught much
differently than in the 1960s), then went to Harvard Square for purchases,
etc. and lunch at the Wurst House, then down to the Charles River, then
back.

P.M. was the Harvard reunion open house. Socialized largely with Larry and
Roseann Ehrhard and more briefly with diverse others. Got a ride back to
the hotel with classmate Steve Clark who happened to be going that way.

Sat. - 4/30

Biked to Planned Parenthood abortion clinic at 1031 Beacon in Brookline to
pray - 5 other protestors there plus 2 guards and 2 "escorts". Then caught
8:00 a.m. Mass at St. Peter's and went back to hotel to pack.

Class photo at 10:45 - Then Roseann Ehrhard took photos of Collins and I.
Mary Ann didn't get here. (Taxi late) and we were off at 11:30 a.m.!

Stopped at 2:25 p.m. after 41 miles - 2 hrs. 56 min. riding time. Stopped
just south of Worcester. Temperature around 70°. Headwinds light to
moderate - maybe 5-15 mph. Route 16 to 9 in Wellesley - 9 to 20 - between
495 and Worcester - 20 to this stop

Stopped for Mass at Brinfeld 4:55 - 5:45. 66 mi., 4 hrs. 28 min. Made 3
stops at gas station/mini-mart but none had bathrooms.

On road again at 6:45. We got to West Springfield and had to "retreat" a
couple miles to find a Days Inn on Hwy. 5 in Springfield. Got here about
8:30. With some local riding, day's total is 99.8 miles, 7 Hrs. 25 min.
RLW miles - 112 for day including local riding in Boston

Rode to shopping center and got carryout stuff to eat in the hotel. I had
seafood salad, coleslaw, beer, five alive, prunes and got oranges and a
banana for breakfast. To bed around 11:00. The Weather Channel was not
encouraging for 5/1, but 4/30 conditions were good. Temperature in upper
60s or low 70s, and lighter winds at the end.

Sun. - 5/1

Weather Channel shows trouble likely all morning, then strong winds when the
rain clears. We left at 6:10 a.m. wearing ponchos. Rode until 10:45 then
stopped in Pittsfield. 56.1 miles - 4 Hrs. 29 min. Rain off and on the
whole time, though it was never heavy. Lots of uphill in the Berkshires
including one uphill stretch of several miles. Winds have not been a
factor, but hills and rain cut speed. Temperatures in the upper 50s
probably, maybe 60. It's not raining at the moment, but it's gloomy. We'll
probably leave the ponchos on. I had a seafood sub sandwich here; Collins
had breakfast. We stayed basically dry; shirt and shorts are slightly damp.
Left at 11:30.

2:30 p.m. - Stopped at a Wendy's in East Greenbush, New York, outside of
Albany (not there yet). It's been a wild 3 hours. We left Pittsfield in a
medium rain which cleared quickly. Off came the ponchos and out came the
sunglasses and sun lotion. Then it clouded up again and we were chased to
cover by a hard rain which seems to have ended while we're here. We also
had a couple short stops for photos, and Collins had an equipment problem.
Still plenty of hills. The temperature was up to 70° and now may be back to
60°. Mileage 88.5 miles. Riding time 6 Hrs. 50 min.

Started 3:30 - Stopped 5:30 - mileage 110.3 - Riding time 8 hrs. 51 min.

Stopped at McDonald's in Scotin, just across the Mohawk River from
Schenectady. The wind the last 2 hours has been terrible - can't make good
speed at all. The wind also makes it feel cooler (it has cooled maybe to
the 50s without the wind). I'll be wearing my sweat shirt for the first
time coming out of here. We took Rtw. 20 to Albany, then 5.

Started 5:55. Rode until 7:15 and stopped for night at Amsterdam. "Early"
stop a/c:

- very strong headwinds haven't diminished at all

- no large towns and possibly no motels at distance we might
reach

The Mohawk Valley is flatter than U.S. 20- which I had taken on my 1968
trip, but the winds this afternoon were very bad.

Mileage for day 125.8; time 10 hrs. 19 min.

Temperature down to 50° or below and still dropping. Weather prediction for
tomorrow is colder and still strong headwinds. Not very encouraging.

Mon. - 5/2

Left at 5:50 A.M. Temperature in low 40s and gloomy with a few drops of
rain but not enough to make the road wet. Still a brisk headwind although
not as bad as yesterday. Wearing sweatshirt, long pants, tennis shoes,
socks and gloves (instead of t-shirt, shorts and sandals like Saturday).

Stopped at 7:40 at McDonalds in Palatine Bridge. 23.8 miles - 1 hr. 48 min.
Left at 8:25.

Stopped for about 20 minutes in Little Falls than at a grocery store/Burger
King in Utica at 12:15. Also had stopped for a couple of Mohawk Valley
photo ops hear Herkimer.

66.1 miles, 5 Hrs. 16 min.

Continued brisk head winds. They just won't quit. We'll get worn out early
at this rate. The wind has been bad since yesterday noon.

The temperature has warned to 50° or a little above. I shed my gloves
around 11:00. There's some sunshine but mostly cloudy. No need for
sunglasses, etc. so far. Left around 1:00.

Stopped at McDonald's in Oneida at 3:25. Mileage 91.3, time 7 hrs. 28 min.

It's summer now - have switched to sunglasses. Temperatures are in mid-50s.
The wind has shifted to the NW, so while still a headwind, it's no longer
dead ahead. Present route: stayed on 5 as we have ever since Albany. Left
around 3:55; stopped 6:45 just west of Syracuse.

Mileage 124.6, time 10 hrs. 12 min.

Winds NW and brisk i.e. headwind but not brutal. Somewhat hillier than
along the Mohawk. Left 7:15, having been advised there was probably a motel
at Elbridge (reachable) and for sure at Auburn (harder to reach - would have
to travel at night and may not be on our route).

There was a big, hill coming up out of Camillus followed by an ad for a
motel at Elbridge. We passed one, then stopped for the night at a second
one short of Elbridge.

Mileage for day 132.6, time for day 11 hours. Mileage for trip 359.

Wind ranged from bad to very bad all day. We have an excellent motel host
at Motel Thomas R&S West, Camillus 13031. Jay Davis, who has let us dry
clothes in his dryer and otherwise been especially solicitous of our
welfare. He advised there are more hills on US 20 than on NY 31, which may
affect tomorrow's plans.

Tues. - 5/3

Left between 5:40 and 5:45 a.m. after a roll and coffee with our host.
Cold - 35° in Syracuse but a lot of frost in the country. Winds calm until
about 8:00 then a light headwind came up - nothing like yesterday's.

We stopped briefly in Clyde for about 15 minutes. 31.5 miles, 2 hrs. 7 min.

I removed one shirt and switched to sunglasses. (The weather is clear so
far.) Then we stopped around 9:10 at a McDonald's in Newark. 46.1 miles, 3
hrs. 14 min. Temperature is up to 49° and rising. I'm changing "uniforms"
here to shorts and sandals and shedding the sweatshirt and gloves.

Didn't leave Newark until 10:40 (1 ½ hrs.). The main hangup was a repair on
my bike. One of the bolts that holds the baggage carrier to the frame had
come out.

We went to an Ames department store where I went in three times and bought 3
packages (they're only sold that way) until I found one that worked on the
third try.

Stopped on Brachport at a McDonald's at 2:30. 95.6 miles, 6 hrs. 49 min.

The wind has stayed light and it's been sunny all day with temperatures
around 60°. Left at 3:15. Changed back into tennis shoes a/c sun and for
extra ankle support (my left ankle was getting sore). I switched glasses
again at 6:00 and also put my sweatshirt on again.

Riding this afternoon continued quite favorable with light N to even a
little NE wind. We made our best time of the trip and entered Niagara
Falls, Canada around 7:45, which gave time to see the falls before looking
for a hotel and changing some money. Mileage 163.6, time 11 hrs. 25 min.

Wed. - 5/4

Left motel at 5:55. Temperature probably in the low to mid-40s. Wind
light. Collins had the same mechanical problem I had yesterday. His
carrier lost a bolt going over a RR track. Fortunately my "leftover" bolt
from yesterday fit so it was a minimal delay. Stopped at 9:15 for
breakfast, etc. in Cuyego. Mileage 47.0, time 3 hrs. 19 min.

When we went to leave, Collins had a flat tire. By the time everything was
handled, it was 11:00 before we got going. We stopped for half an hour
around 3:00 p.m. at a little cross-road called Glen Meyer (we had deviated
off highway 3 because of the lack of a paved shoulder and the heavy traffic,
especially truck traffic. Mileage 95.8, time 6 hrs. 50 min.

The people, who were Mennonites, spoke what they called German but I couldn't
understand it and I doubt many Germans could. There were a lot of tobacco
farms in this general area. Winds were light to moderate and mostly out of
the south - not a problem. There were periods of sun and clouds, with
temperatures consistently in the 50's, probably cooled by a lake breeze off
Lake Erie.

At 6:18 we stopped briefly at Fingal at a general store. A guy there
recommended a bed and breakfast in Rodney and called ahead for us and gave
us directions. Knowing we had a place to stay, we kept going. Mileage at
Fingal 135.1, time 9 hrs. 36 min.

Just before Rodney, I got a flat front tire. While I fixed it, Collins went
ahead and found the bed and breakfast, which was a couple of miles SW of
town. The hosts, M/M Theo Van Asten, were very good. They made supper and
Theo drove over with Collins to see if I needed a ride (I didn't). After
fixing my flat, I arrived around 8:50 p.m. Mileage 167.5, time 11 hrs. 46
min.

Thur. - 5/5

Left around 6:25 a.m. After an hour or so of good riding (low 40s, light
wind, flat) I had a flat rear tire (it was the front tire last night).
Collins fixed both tubes but on pumping up the tire we noted a serious
"bulge". The rim of the tire was broken. We used one of Collins' patches
as a stopgap and rode on into Chatham, where we found Smiths' bike shop.
Smith took care of us personally so as of now I have a new tire on. He was
most interested in our trip. Left at 10:00 by which time a brisk headwind
had come up with improving temperatures. Removed sweatshirt and "cussed"
the wind.

Stopped for soda, etc., in Jeannette Creek (on Hwy. 36) at 11:15. Mileage
51.3, time 3 hrs. 48 min. Left 12:40.

Forced to stop an hour and a half later because Collins had a broken spoke.
This is a tough day. With a brisk headwind besides. Mileage 70.5, time 5
hrs. 23 min.

The ride into Windsor was a bid circuitous, then when we got to the bridge
to the US, we were told we couldn't cross with bikes. The only option was
to "hitch a ride" with a passing vehicle, and the first van driver we asked
took us. US Customs weren't prepared to see two bikers on the other side
(we were let off before the driver cleared customs) and we were sent inside
to explain, which we did. Mileage 92.8, time 7 hrs. 7 min. It was 4:10
when we got going again.

In keeping with the day's "tradition", Collins got a flat front tire at 5:00
at the west end of Dearborn. Can't find the leak so he used his spare tube.
Because of high pressure needs on that tube, we'll have to find a gas
station. Mileage 102.0, time 7 hrs. 57 min.

We also had a few drops of rain, enough to put on our ponchos at the end of
the bridge, but it cleared quickly. The winds are generally headwinds with
some variability, maybe due to the passing shower.

We stopped 45 minutes at a McDonald's in West Dearborn, then headed for
Saline. We got there near 9:00 to find no motel. There was one at Clinton
where we arrived near 10:00 p.m., our first real night riding. Mileage
146.1, time 11 hrs. 20 min.

The Clinton Inn is an old hotel with big rooms, nicely decorated but old
plumbing.

Fri. - 5/6

Left Clinton around 6:00 a.m. Clear and quite cold - around 40°. Light to
moderate NW wind. Rather hilly - Irish Hills area. Stopped at Hwy. 127,
Jct. 7:40. 21.6 miles, 1 hr. 37 min.

Stopped for breakfast at Coldwater at 10:50. Weather has stayed cool,
though sunny - in the 40s. Winds are moderate NW. 58.7 miles, time 4 hrs.
21 min.

Left around 12:00. Then rode until after 2:30. Stopped for refreshments at
White Pigeon. 97.3 miles, 6 hrs. 55 min. Wind from North, so its mostly a
crosswind. 6:10 p.m. EDT. Last EDT reading. Stopped west of Niles for a
snack. Winds still mostly N, some NW, sunny and cool, 50°. Miles: 138.0,
time 9 hrs. 52 min.

Reached Long Beach, Indiana at 7:40 p.m. CDT. Conditions are clear and
cool - under 50°. I put on my gloves.

We'll stay here with Bob Kuchler's mother-in-law. (Bob accompanied Collins
and I on our 1986 trip around Lake Michigan.) Bob and Joy Kuchler are
there, as is Mary Fitzpatrick. Collins is quitting here a/c an inflamed
Achilles tendon. Miles: 169.1, time: 12:01.

The 5 of us went out for dinner. A rib eye steak was just right after all
the fast food/fruit/candy bar type diet of the past several days. Bob will
accompany me as far as Chicago tomorrow.

Sat. - 5/7

Bob and I left at 5:30 a.m. Within a mile we had to put on raincoats.
Still, he set a very strong pace. We stopped briefly at a McDonald's just
east of Gary. There was light rain the first 2 hours, then heavier rain
leaving Gary with a brisk headwind. This made for the most miserable riding
of the whole trip. Bob guided me to the Chicago bike path at 68th Street
and the Lakefront. I was on my own from there.

A morale booster: on the north side, there were thousands and thousands of
people just as bedraggled as me. It was the "Hike for Life::. It slowed me
up even more, but "so what". It was great to see.

As I came into the north suburbs, the rain lightened up into a drizzle but I'm
drenched by now. The wind had done in my poncho by downtown Chicago.
Stopped for a snack in Highland Park.

Mileage 90.8, time 6 hrs. 36 min.

Time 12 - 1:20. Rain let up gradually and ended, but there's a brisk
headwind. The northeast wind we looked for in vain for 7 days, arrived on
the 8th day - when I'm headed north - ugh!!

Stopped at a McDonald's in Kenosha around 3:30. Had hit Wisconsin line at
3:10. Mileage 120.0, time 8 hrs. 44 min.

Still a brisk N to NE wind. No more substantial stops if I'm to be home
before dark.

The last stretch the wind slowly diminished but it still did me no favors.
The longer day riding made a difference. For the first time, I had really
pretty much "had it" by the end of the day. Earlier I told myself I'd
really attack the final hill on Pilgrim Road. In fact, I downshifted more
than usual and struggled up. Arrived at 8:10 p.m. Mileage: 176.0, time 12
hrs 9 min.

Mary Ann was waiting with a home cooked beef stew and home-made cole slaw
and wine. She also had a Dairy Queen ice cream cake that said: "Yeah! You
made it."

All in all, a very nice welcome home!!

Total mileage for trip: 1181

Old September 15th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Cotton

"Ron Wallenfang" wrote in message
BOSTON TO MILWAUKEE

Following 25th yr Reunion - Harvard Law School

4/27 - 5/7, 1994
Flight to Boston

Thanks Ron for another enjoyable ride story.
This bring back memories of Bicycle Magazine articles of the fifities. Keep
them comming.

--
www.billcotton.com